Menu

Singapore Math - a few ??s :)

abrightmom

I'm looking at switching my oldest to Singapore U.S. Edition Primary Math but Singapore is VERY confusing :confused:. I have a few ??s:

1. Is Singapore considered spiral or mastery?

2. If using the U.S. Edition do you recommend adding anything for practice? Perhaps Challenging Word Problems? Anything else?

3. Do you view the HIGs as must haves? Or do you teach without them? Pros/cons of the HIGs?

4. Is Singapore considered on grade level or "ahead"?

Anything else you'd like to share would be appreciated! We are using Math Mammoth with this boy currently :001_smile:. The middlers are starting Singapore.

Mastery.

2. If using the U.S. Edition do you recommend adding anything for practice? Perhaps Challenging Word Problems? Anything else?

We use Challenging Word Problems as well as Intensive Practice

3. Do you view the HIGs as must haves? Or do you teach without them? Pros/cons of the HIGs?

Yes, we use the HIGs. They are necessary for us. They provide several ways to teach the lesson or provide additional practice.

They seem to be ahead. We are in the middle of 3B and 3A covered short division (that is not covered here until 4th grade). Probably depends on the school.QUOTE]

We enjoy Singapore. There are some YouTube videos online that explain the lessons up to 3A.

Ray, when I think of spiral, I think of RM where each lesson has a mixture of problem types to reinforce what what was done in the past.

SM has only one kind of problem per lesson, so it's focus is on mastery of that particular math skill.

I'm wondering if spiral and mastery pertains to lesson sets or to something else?

Okay, a few more ??s :001_smile:

5. How does Intensive Practice differ from Extra Practice? As seen on CBD's website cbd's Singapore page

6. How do you use CWP and IP, if you supplement with those? How do you "schedule" them?

7. Do you find that your students need "math facts practice"? In using MM my son is slowed way down by his poor recall. I am finding that we are needing to stop and spend time practicing the math facts so he doesn't take so long when working problems.

8. How much teacher prep time is there? MM is pretty open and go at this point so I must consider that.

9. How much time does your student spend studying math each day? Does your math pace mean you complete one Singapore level each school year?

Thanks so much! I'm sure Singapore isn't as confusing as I'm making it out to be but golly gee whiz! There are so many choices . . . :lol:

Edited by abrightmom

Spiral. Don't get hung up on this because SM studies only a handful of topics it works like a spiral staircase of ^ challenge.

No, it's mastery. Spiral curricula come back to the same topic bit by bit over the course of one year. Singapore (and most other mastery programs) teaches a concept as a unit, and then comes back to it the next year and adds more complexity. MUS is the only program I know of that teaches one concept per year - it's unique, and like mastery on steroids.

Singapore does have periodic review, and there is some built-in review of a concept by the nature of math. You have an addition/subtraction unit, then fractions - but you're adding/subtraction the fractions. Then measurement, but you still have to add/subtract and use fractional measurements.

As far as the HIG, I never used it, but Singapore seemed intuitive to teach for me. If you're even the slightest bit confused, I'd get them. I hear the Standards HIGs are even better than the US Ed ones, so you might want to consider Standards.

Extra Practice is at the same level as the workbook, for kids who need more practice. IP is more challenging. Some people use IP instead of the workbook if their kids are very mathy.

And yes, you need to add math facts practice - but I hear that's scheduled in the HIG??

Edited by matroyshka

1. Is Singapore considered spiral or mastery? I think it leans toward the master side of the scale- the lesson each day is only on one topic and you stay on one topic for several lessons in a row and don't usually hit it again until the next book. I have heard that the Standards do have more review.

2. If using the U.S. Edition do you recommend adding anything for practice? Perhaps Challenging Word Problems? Anything else? We use the U.S edition. the text, IP, and CWP (we don't use the workbooks)

3. Do you view the HIGs as must haves? Or do you teach without them? Pros/cons of the HIGs? I don't use the HIGs and I've never seen one, but I feel pretty comfortable with math.

4. Is Singapore considered on grade level or "ahead"? You hear that the levels are a year ahead, but then you also hear that they are right on, and I would think the Standards editions would be on grade level and they really aren't that different from the U.S. editions.

5. How does Intensive Practice differ from Extra Practice? As seen on CBD's website cbd's Singapore page EP are more problems at the same level as the text and workbook, IP are harder, some of them very, very hard.

6. How do you use CWP and IP, if you supplement with those? How do you "schedule" them? We do anywhere from 2-5 pages a day from the IP, and one page a day from CWP (that is usually only 2 or 3 problems).

7. Do you find that your students need "math facts practice"? In using MM my son is slowed way down by his poor recall. I am finding that we are needing to stop and spend time practicing the math facts so he doesn't take so long when working problems. Yes, we do work on facts. We do them every spring as we finish up some other subject.

8. How much teacher prep time is there? MM is pretty open and go at this point so I must consider that. I do it open and go, but I don't use the HIGs so I don't know if they are easy to use or not.

9. How much time does your student spend studying math each day? Does your math pace mean you complete one Singapore level each school year? My boys spend most of an hour on math most days and they are both on thier 3rd book of Singapore math this year. I did start them behind, since it was our first time at using a math program but my 9yo has done 3A, 3B, and is about half way through 4A, and my 11yo has done 4A, 4B, and is about half way through 5A.

I'm looking at switching my oldest to Singapore U.S. Edition Primary Math but Singapore is VERY confusing :confused:. I have a few ??s:

Anything else you'd like to share would be appreciated! We are using Math Mammoth with this boy currently :001_smile:. The middlers are starting Singapore.

1. Mastery. (Although there is periodic review)

2. Just add fact drill.

3. Nope. Never seen them & am on my 3rd very successful SM student.

4. Ahead. . . by about a year by the time you complete 6B.

1. Mastery. (Although there is periodic review)

2. Just add fact drill.

3. Nope. Never seen them & am on my 3rd very successful SM student.

4. Ahead. . . by about a year by the time you complete 6B.

Stephanie,

Since you don't use the HIGs you do use the textbook, right? I have had such a variety of recommendations on what is really needed . . . :lol:

Looks like you got solid answers to several of the questions. The only comment I'll make on spiral vs. mastery is that you concentrate on one skill at a time in Singapore. Once that unit is done, the student is expected to have mastered the concept. It will not come up again at that level except for the reviews throughout the book (about 8 4-pg reviews per book). We also use Horizons which is a spiral program. In each lesson there are problems covering several concepts that have been learned over the year.

Okay, a few more ??s :001_smile:

6. How do you use CWP and IP, if you supplement with those? How do you "schedule" them?

We only use CWP but use it in between levels. When we finished PM 2A and 2B, we took a break to work through CWP 2. I tried working it in while we were doing the wb and tb but it works out better this way for my ds.

7. Do you find that your students need "math facts practice"? In using MM my son is slowed way down by his poor recall. I am finding that we are needing to stop and spend time practicing the math facts so he doesn't take so long when working problems.

My ds does but I've found the best practice for him is systematic practice. That's why we use Horizons. It keeps him practicing many topics each day. I liberally cross out problems for concepts he's mastered. For multiplication, I've added Schoolhouse Rock's Multiplication Rock which he loves. We do have Flashmaster that he can use if he wants but it's optional.

8. How much teacher prep time is there? MM is pretty open and go at this point so I must consider that.

Open and go for me.

9. How much time does your student spend studying math each day? Does your math pace mean you complete one Singapore level each school year?

About 30-45 mins for us but my ds is very mathy and likes to spend extra time on math so some of that time is voluntary. I imagine I'll spend a max of 30 mins at this age for any less-mathy dc I have. Too early to tell at this point. We finish 3 books a year (plus a ton of supplements) so far but the material has been easy for my ds. We haven't caught up to his challenge level yet. My plan is to complete 2 books a year but it hasn't worked out that way. Still, that'll be my expectation for my other dc. We'll see.

Thanks so much! I'm sure Singapore isn't as confusing as I'm making it out to be but golly gee whiz! There are so many choices . . . :lol:

I really like Singapore and wish I could have been taught math is way when I was a kid!

I consider Singapore to be a "soft spiral" program. It's not like MUS where each level covers one particular topic and then the student never sees it again. Singapore reviews and adds on from year to year.

My oldest uses the textbook, the CWP, and the IP. The reviews she does 1 semester behind (i.e. she's currently in 4A and doing the 3B reviews). I have her complete the chapter in the text including all the practices, then she works through the corresponding topics in CWP and IP. For certain chapters (multi-digit multiplication, long division, and fractions), I've had her do portions of the single-topic "blue" Math Mammoth worktexts prior to Singapore since Maria Miller does a much better job at walking the student through tricky concepts step-by-step-by-step.

I need to take time prior to each chapter to read the HIG's and figure out how to teach the Singapore way. But after doing that, it's fairly open-and-go.

We HS year-round and therefore I don't really worry about when we finish one book and start the next one. My DD started 3A in Jan '10 and is currently working through the IP & CWP for chapter 4 in 4A. She'll probably be starting 4B in the middle of next month. The goal is to have her finished with 6B by the end of 5th grade so she can do pre-algebra in 6th and Algebra 1 in 7th (I don't plan on using NEM). But that leaves plenty of "wiggle room" to still get to Algebra 1 by 8th.

I consider Singapore to be a "soft spiral" program. It's not like MUS where each level covers one particular topic and then the student never sees it again. Singapore reviews and adds on from year to year.

My oldest uses the textbook, the CWP, and the IP. The reviews she does 1 semester behind (i.e. she's currently in 4A and doing the 3B reviews). I have her complete the chapter in the text including all the practices, then she works through the corresponding topics in CWP and IP. For certain chapters (multi-digit multiplication, long division, and fractions), I've had her do portions of the single-topic "blue" Math Mammoth worktexts prior to Singapore since Maria Miller does a much better job at walking the student through tricky concepts step-by-step-by-step.

I need to take time prior to each chapter to read the HIG's and figure out how to teach the Singapore way. But after doing that, it's fairly open-and-go.

We HS year-round and therefore I don't really worry about when we finish one book and start the next one. My DD started 3A in Jan '10 and is currently working through the IP & CWP for chapter 4 in 4A. She'll probably be starting 4B in the middle of next month. The goal is to have her finished with 6B by the end of 5th grade so she can do pre-algebra in 6th and Algebra 1 in 7th (I don't plan on using NEM). But that leaves plenty of "wiggle room" to still get to Algebra 1 by 8th.

Crimson Wife,

Thanks for sharing. When you say your DD does the reviews one semester behind what is the review that you are referring to? Is it built in to the text book? Is it a separate supplement? :D

****Does the advice/answers I'm receiving hold true for either the U.S. or Standards version? Are there differences there?

Why is Singapore so confusing from the outside? :D

Looks like you got solid answers to several of the questions. The only comment I'll make on spiral vs. mastery is that you concentrate on one skill at a time in Singapore. Once that unit is done, the student is expected to have mastered the concept. It will not come up again at that level except for the reviews throughout the book (about 8 4-pg reviews per book). We also use Horizons which is a spiral program. In each lesson there are problems covering several concepts that have been learned over the year.

I really like Singapore and wish I could have been taught math is way when I was a kid!

Taira,

Your little guy is definitely mathy . . . and that is an understatement :D. My kids are NOT. I suspect they are "regular" . . . at least for now!!

Is review something you think is lacking with Singapore OR do you think Singapore stands alone? We used Horizons for K but I haven't considered using it as review. Looking back I wondered why we didn't just stick with it. I really really liked it and my children fared well with it.

In using Horizons for review do you just utilize the workbooks? The TGs are spendy . . . I might try a workbook for my boy. The color of Horizons has great kid appeal and that may motivate him in working on math. He's really really bogging down right now. Taking a break from MM and doing something different for review may snap him out of his stand still.

Taira,

Your little guy is definitely mathy . . . and that is an understatement :D. My kids are NOT. I suspect they are "regular" . . . at least for now!!

Is review something you think is lacking with Singapore OR do you think Singapore stands alone? We used Horizons for K but I haven't considered using it as review. Looking back I wondered why we didn't just stick with it. I really really liked it and my children fared well with it.

In using Horizons for review do you just utilize the workbooks? The TGs are spendy . . . I might try a workbook for my boy. The color of Horizons has great kid appeal and that may motivate him in working on math. He's really really bogging down right now. Taking a break from MM and doing something different for review may snap him out of his stand still.

I originally started using Horizons to slow my guy down. Otherwise, he would have worked faster through Singapore than I'm comfortable with. I do think Singapore can stand alone but that either IP or EP (depending on the student) with the HIG and CWP need to be used. I only use the HIG and CWP. We use Horizons instead of EP or IP because I like the spiraling nature of it. My ds does well with just a few practice problems from each topic each day. I cross out a lot of problems in Horizons after my ds has mastered a concept. Right now, he does a handful of addition, subtraction, time, and measurement but all of the multiplication problems. Once he has his multiplication tables down, I'll start crossing out problems from those sections. By then, he'll be working on long division and need the full practice for that. He likes the color and puzzles so it is a good fit. I don't think my middle guy is as mathy and he's already enjoying Horizons K (at a slower pace) so we'll probably stick with this combo.

The TM for Horizons is not necessary (especially when using as a supp). I bought it for K and it was worthless. We apply Singapore methods to the Horizons wb anyway. I may start buying used TMs when we get to Horizons 4 just for the answers to save myself time. I guess they haven't changed.

Thanks for sharing. When you say your DD does the reviews one semester behind what is the review that you are referring to? Is it built in to the text book?

The reviews are found in the textbooks. In the Stds. edition they are found after every chapter and they are longer (2-3 pages). In the U.S. edition, there are fewer of them and typically a single page.

A couple more issues that have arisen . . .

The Singapore website is very helpful and I'm reading the FAQ there. Many questions are being answered. However, I am curious about the HIGs and whether or not you are using U.S. or Standard. Any votes on whether or not the U.S. Edition HIGs are indeed worthless or do some of you find them helpful? I've heard that the Standard HIGs are great.

I am comparing my first grade Singapore workbooks (U.S.) to first grade Math Mammoth and there are SO MANY MORE problems in MM. What is the strategy with Singapore then? I'm truly out of my league here because I'm just not getting HOW Singapore can be effective for a (totally and completely) regular Mom who lacks the intuition/experience/understanding to KNOW if my kiddos NEED MORE. Math Mammoth is extremely thorough and incremental. That is helpful in teaching. Looking at Singapore it seems like so much less to do . . . really, there are hardly any problems in a lesson. Does it stick with so little "work"?

Is Singapore designed in such a way that we MUST choose a supplement for that extra practice? What I am gleaning from the website is that the program CAN stand alone. It just seems like so little work to ask of my kids . . . how can it be so darn effective then? :confused:

Math is a most humbling subject to teach. It is also the most fear inducing in me as a teaching Mom. :001_huh:

The reviews are found in the textbooks. In the Stds. edition they are found after every chapter and they are longer (2-3 pages). In the U.S. edition, there are fewer of them and typically a single page.

All of the reviews in the US Ed through 3B are 4 pages, but there are on 8 or so per book. ETA: Those are in the workbooks. There are practice sections in the textbooks also. They are 1-2 pages but there are 26 of those in 3A plus two extra 1 page reviews.

A couple more issues that have arisen . . .

The Singapore website is very helpful and I'm reading the FAQ there. Many questions are being answered. However, I am curious about the HIGs and whether or not you are using U.S. or Standard. Any votes on whether or not the U.S. Edition HIGs are indeed worthless or do some of you find them helpful? I've heard that the Standard HIGs are great.

I am comparing my first grade Singapore workbooks (U.S.) to first grade Math Mammoth and there are SO MANY MORE problems in MM. What is the strategy with Singapore then? I'm truly out of my league here because I'm just not getting HOW Singapore can be effective for a (totally and completely) regular Mom who lacks the intuition/experience/understanding to KNOW if my kiddos NEED MORE. Math Mammoth is extremely thorough and incremental. That is helpful in teaching. Looking at Singapore it seems like so much less to do . . . really, there are hardly any problems in a lesson. Does it stick with so little "work"?

Is Singapore designed in such a way that we MUST choose a supplement for that extra practice? What I am gleaning from the website is that the program CAN stand alone. It just seems like so little work to ask of my kids . . . how can it be so darn effective then? :confused:

Math is a most humbling subject to teach. It is also the most fear inducing in me as a teaching Mom. :001_huh:

I find the US Ed HIG very helpful. I haven't seen the STD ed to compare.

Edited by Dinsfamily

All of the reviews in the US Ed through 3B are 4 pages, but there are on 8 or so per book. ETA: Those are in the workbooks. There are practice sections in the textbooks also. They are 1-2 pages but there are 26 of those in 3A plus two extra 1 page reviews.

We are not using the workbooks so thanks for clarifying. In the US ed. 3B textbook, I see reviews A-G. A-C are a single page, D-F are two pages, and G is 3 pages. They are found after chapters 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9.

"Math is a most humbling subject to teach. It is also the most fear inducing in me as a teaching Mom."

Look here, http://www.singaporemath.com/Math_Teacher_Resource_s/27.htm

;)

Thanks for the link. I'll spend some time here later. I did purchase Liping Ma's book on the Kindle. I really regret that because it is a challenging read. I do MUCH better with challenging reading if I can highlight and mark up the book. The Kindle is just not conducive to that. So for now I'm stuck. I spent the $$ foolishly and cannot return the e-book :D.

We are not using the workbooks so thanks for clarifying. In the US ed. 3B textbook, I see reviews A-G. A-C are a single page, D-F are two pages, and G is 3 pages. They are found after chapters 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9.

How do you not use the workbooks?? I'm so intrigued.:001_smile:

Katrina, have you considered switching to the Standards Edition with the HIG when you hit the next level? It sounds to me like it might be of help to you on several levels.

Of the books Ray linked to I would go for the Parker and Baldridge. What say you Ray?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
Parker, not Malcolm. d'oh

Katrina, have you considered switching to the Standards Edition with the HIG when you hit the next level? It sounds to me like it might be of help to you on several levels.

Bill,

Why do you recommend this switch? Why would SE with the HIG help me MORE than U.S. with the HIG? These are the times when Singapore just gets to me! Grrrrrr. Seems so complicated . . . but I'm willing to wrestle with it a little more!!

I'm brand new to Singapore so although I have U.S. Edition on the shelf my kiddos haven't cracked it open yet. We're just about ready to though . . . with these early levels I'm not at all concerned about teaching the concepts. I think that my limited experience with Right Start and MM has given me enough understanding to teach K and 1st without any "helps". After that I'm scared witless . . .

Thanks for the resource rec. Is this the one http://www.singaporemath.com/Elementary_Mathematics_for_Teachers_p/emft.htm :001_smile:

Edited by abrightmom

Right right Bill, 'Elementary Mathematics for Teachers' by Parker & Baldridge. It also looks like they are offering something in the product description that adapts it to the 'Standards' SM version for those that choose that route.

Abrightmom, we use the text with the older U.S. edtions of SM. I think it gives a good take on how SM approaches math, and worth the cost.

I don't see how Singapore is such a mystery.

I am NOT a math person. I passed high school geometry by one point. When I finished that class, the school guidance counselor told me that the math dept had asked her to remind me that I had met all math requirements for the state and was free to stop taking math classes.

I was very worried about teaching math. A friend gave me all her old Singapore math text books, the US 3rd edition, and told me to give it a shot. I had no idea what I was doing! But, I bought the earlybird books, took a deep breath and opened the books.

Here I am, years later with a kid in year 5 and so far, no problems. I just open the book and do what comes next. I look in the text book and review what it says with my kid. I have him work through a bunch of the practice questions and then set him lose with the exercise for the day. I have never not understood what was being asked of me. I have never not been able to teach the lesson. I started buying the HIG when I became aware of them. I started in year three. I never opened the year 3 guides because I never needed them. I did use it a few times in year 4 because I wanted to see if there was anything I was missing. In maybe 2 cases I learned better vocabulary to express the lesson. I was happy to have that. I can say the same about this year.

We do the reviews in the text and the workbooks. I check all his answers. If he gets something wrong we work it until we find the mistake. In all honesty, he rarely misses a question. When he does, it is due to a minor error and not to a lack of understanding. We do have the Singapore computer games (rainbow rock, vroot and vroom and wiggle woods) and my son enjoys them quite a bit. My son gained fluency in multiplication with Times Attack. He is about to finish the first Life of Fred book.

So, as a math fearing mom, my experience with Singapore math has been "open the book, do the next thing" and it has been fine. No mystery.

Just pick an edition, US Standards or 3rd and go for it. It's really not that big a deal. Yes, there seem to be slight differences in the order things are presented and some people talk about number of questions per page, but that isn't a question of quality. That seems to be a personal preference, minor details. It isn't something to lose sleep over.

If I can teach elementary math, anyone can, lol. It really has been math without tears.

Bill,

Why do you recommend this switch? Why would SE with the HIG help me MORE than U.S. with the HIG? These are the times when Singapore just gets to me! Grrrrrr. Seems so complicated . . . but I'm willing to wrestle with it a little more!!

I'm brand new to Singapore so although I have U.S. Edition on the shelf my kiddos haven't cracked it open yet. We're just about ready to though . . . with these early levels I'm not at all concerned about teaching the concepts. I think that my limited experience with Right Start and MM has given me enough understanding to teach K and 1st without any "helps". After that I'm scared witless . . .

Thanks for the resource rec. Is this the one http://www.singaporemath.com/Elementary_Mathematics_for_Teachers_p/emft.htm :001_smile:

First, don't be scared witless (or other-wise).

Two, if you start doing activities from Miquon and add something like the Right Start math games you will get many of the same sort of teaching ideas that are in the HIGs. The HIGs are just a good distillation of ideas for parents who need help and need it fast. I prefer C Rods to the Unifix/Linking cubes used in the HIGs, but their recommendations translated into things we could do or (more often) already doing on our own.

Three. The Singapore Editions are not drastically different from what I understand. But if you feel you would benefit from teachers materials (a reasonable feeling to have) the SE HIGs are supposed to be much improved and the SE Edition has more built-in review.

Four. That's the book I was talking about. Parent/Teacher education is very helpful with this kind of whole-parts math. The Miquon books we are discussing in the other thread will also be very helpful. This should all be "fun" for you. This way of teaching and learning math is very natural, it is just different than what most of us (me certainly) faced as children. It is way better. You will get a second chance and might find you are better at math than you thought!

It will work out!

Bill

I don't see how Singapore is such a mystery.

I am NOT a math person. I passed high school geometry by one point. When I finished that class, the school guidance counselor told me that the math dept had asked her to remind me that I had met all math requirements for the state and was free to stop taking math classes.

I was very worried about teaching math. A friend gave me all her old Singapore math text books, the US 3rd edition, and told me to give it a shot. I had no idea what I was doing! But, I bought the earlybird books, took a deep breath and opened the books.

Here I am, years later with a kid in year 5 and so far, no problems. I just open the book and do what comes next. I look in the text book and review what it says with my kid. I have him work through a bunch of the practice questions and then set him lose with the exercise for the day. I have never not understood what was being asked of me. I have never not been able to teach the lesson. I started buying the HIG when I became aware of them. I started in year three. I never opened the year 3 guides because I never needed them. I did use it a few times in year 4 because I wanted to see if there was anything I was missing. In maybe 2 cases I learned better vocabulary to express the lesson. I was happy to have that. I can say the same about this year.

We do the reviews in the text and the workbooks. I check all his answers. If he gets something wrong we work it until we find the mistake. In all honesty, he rarely misses a question. When he does, it is due to a minor error and not to a lack of understanding. We do have the Singapore computer games (rainbow rock, vroot and vroom and wiggle woods) and my son enjoys them quite a bit. My son gained fluency in multiplication with Times Attack. He is about to finish the first Life of Fred book.

So, as a math fearing mom, my experience with Singapore math has been "open the book, do the next thing" and it has been fine. No mystery.

Just pick an edition, US Standards or 3rd and go for it. It's really not that big a deal. Yes, there seem to be slight differences in the order things are presented and some people talk about number of questions per page, but that isn't a question of quality. That seems to be a personal preference, minor details. It isn't something to lose sleep over.

If I can teach elementary math, anyone can, lol. It really has been math without tears.

This is IMMENSELY helpful. Thank-you for writing this out. Will you clarify one thing? What do you mean by "US Standards or 3rd"? Is 3rd the same thing as U.S. and if so is this what I've purchased:D? I am only familiar with the terms U.S. and Standards when it comes to Singapore primary. Please clarify!

Right right Bill, 'Elementary Mathematics for Teachers' by Parker & Baldridge. It also looks like they are offering something in the product description that adapts it to the 'Standards' SM version for those that choose that route.

Abrightmom, we use the text with the older U.S. edtions of SM. I think it gives a good take on how SM approaches math, and worth the cost.

Thanks Ray! Parker (not Malcolm, bit of a memory lapse there :lol:).

I better go look at the new books linked to the SE version.

Bill

Bill,

I'm not Bill, but having both the U.S. edition HIG's for 3A/B and the Stds. edition HIG's for 4A-5A, I find the latter to be WAY more useful. I just hope that they finish the series before I need them!

This is IMMENSELY helpful. Thank-you for writing this out. Will you clarify one thing? What do you mean by "US Standards or 3rd"? Is 3rd the same thing as U.S. and if so is this what I've purchased:D? I am only familiar with the terms U.S. and Standards when it comes to Singapore primary. Please clarify!

The 3rd was an even earlier edition that some of the "pioneers" used back in the olden-days. I'm thinking redsquirrel meant SE (but maybe I'm wrong).

Bill (who says Malcomb when he means Parker :D)

I just researched information from the singapore math website about the different editions.

-3rd Edition, first published in 1998 is no longer for sale.

-Primary Math U.S. Edition, publication date is 2003.

-Primary Standards Edition, publication date is 2008. This edition was slightly changed and content added in order to meet the Mathematics Contents Standards for California Public Schools. The website notes, "It is similar to the US edition but has some rearrangement of topics and some added units, primarily in probability and data analysis, negative number, and coordinate graphing." California is such a huge textbook market that publishers design textbooks that will meet California standards.

I just researched information from the singapore math website about the different editions.

-3rd Edition, first published in 1998 is no longer for sale.

-Primary Math U.S. Edition, publication date is 2003.

-Primary Standards Edition, publication date is 2008. This edition was slightly changed and content added in order to meet the Mathematics Contents Standards for California Public Schools. The website notes, "It is similar to the US edition but has some rearrangement of topics and some added units, primarily in probability and data analysis, negative number, and coordinate graphing." California is such a huge textbook market that publishers design textbooks that will meet California standards.

Bless you! Thanks for sharing this. :001_smile:

Mastery. They cover a topic to completion in that level. They do see problems again on previously covered topics in the review sections. They don't teach a little, move on to something else and then come back and teach a little more.

2. If using the U.S. Edition do you recommend adding anything for practice? Perhaps Challenging Word Problems? Anything else? Many people add other books, but we found them overkill. My kids were hating math. Instead, we did lots of math fact drill in the early years with flashcards, computer games, board games using operational dice, etc. All my kids are doing well with this method. My oldest got in the mid 700's on the SAT despite not having had pre-calc yet.

When I started with Singapore, they didn't have Home Instructor Guides. I suppose they could have been helpful, but I never missed them.

4. Is Singapore considered on grade level or "ahead"? Many people consider them a grade ahead. I would consider them about a half a grade ahead. But, they go so much deeper than many US programs.

1. Mastery (with occasional review)

2. We use both the Intensive Practice books and the Challenging Word Problem books. So, every year I buy 2 HIGs, 2 Textbooks, 2 Workbooks, 2 Intensive Practice books, and 1 Challenging Word Problem book. It seems like a lot, doesn't it?

3. I buy and like having the HIGs, though I only use them occasionally. They are somewhat more cumbersome to use on a daily basis when simply talking through the pictures in the textbooks is so intuitive. At times I need to explain something to a child in a different way or reinforce a concept using manipulatives or a game or just make sure I'm covering it all, and then I pull out the HIG (and feel better that it wasn't a total waste of money!).

4. Ahead, BUT some superfluous topics are NOT covered as early as in other math texts.

5. Extra Practice books just present MORE problems in an identical way to the textbook and workbook. We do not use these. I would not recommend them unless your child REALLY needs extra practice and the IP books are too challenging for him or her.

The Intensive Practice books are, in my opinion, one of the great strengths of the program. They have a totally different look to the pages and always approach the problem from different angles to ensure mastery of the CONCEPT, not just an algorithm. I stagger the child's assignments in such a way that the IP books serve as another review of lessons previously covered.

The CWP books are amazing in that they actually introduce algebraic concepts without using variables. Instead, children are taught bar modeling which will help algebra make sense later. I just purchased Bar Modeling: A Problem-Solving Tool which I highly recommend for a deeper understanding of how to help your child with the CWP books.

You are correct that the Workbooks do not have much practice, and, no, I do not think they would stand alone as successfully. I consider the IP and CWP books to be integral to the program. I would drop the Workbook before I dropped these books!

6. I never scheduled them for the first few years. It was always, "Do the next (however-many) pages." That worked OK initially but was starting to fall apart as I added children in different levels and my oldest's math got more and more difficult. This year I am following the recommended schedule in the HIG, and I added the IP books and CWP book to the schedule, evenly distributing pages over the course of the year. It is important to know that the student must finish the entire chapter in the Textbook and Workbook BEFORE even starting that same chapter in the IP book. Often concepts presented at the end of the Textbook chapter are expected to be known in the first problems of the corresponding IP chapter.

7. Yeah, probably. We haven't done much extra drill, though. My oldest is gradually getting faster on his own, but he does take way too long to do his math.

8. I don't prep at all (other than scheduling the IP and CWP books before the year starts). A little prep might help things run more smoothly, though.

9. Mine probably spends an hour or so, 4 days a week. He could get it done faster, but he dawdles. We do finish one level per year (2 Workbooks, 2 IPs, and the CWP for that level).

Edited by Chaqar