Menu

Birthday Parties--Does anyone RSVP anymore?

DS's party is tomorrow and DD's is next Sunday. I have not received an RSVP for either part so I have no idea who is coming to either one. I remember this same thing happened for their party last year (we did a combined party) and about 14 kids ended up attending.

Is the etiquette of an RSVP a thing of the past?

Me too. Do we count? :D

FWIW, I've not noticed this trend in my circle of friends/acquaintances so far- everybody still sends some form of RSVP. Of course, now that I post this, it could very well all change. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm... Come to think of it I did get ONE RSVP for DD's party.... from the mom who is actually my friend. The other party invitees are children that are friends of DS's or DD's but their parents aren't necessarily my friends. They are good kids and the parents seem like decent people but we run in different circles. I wonder if MY friends would RSVP.:glare:

I am always frustrated when it comes to my kids birthday parties, because we do not get RSVP's either. I usually end up calling/emailing people right before to get a head count. I think it is rude because how are you suppose to get an idea for food, etc.

Any function I plan for church always ends up the same way. People are just to busy with too much on their minds, but still.

Huge pet peeve of mine. Unless the RSVP states: Regrets Only you need to RSVP. It is simply rude not to. That said, we all have the occasional brain freeze. I have had my turn at getting caught up in life and forgetting. It is the habitual person who forgets that drives me crazy. Some people just don't get it.

I think it's rude when people don't have the courtesy to even respond. It's hard to try and plan food etc... for a lot of people and have no idea how many are even coming.

Apparently sending thank you notes is also a thing of the past. :glare: My children sign or write their own thank you notes but NEVER have received any from their friends after giving them a gift. I'm really shocked by this. Guess I'm just "old school" and think politeness and courtesy should never be outdated.:)

This bothers me, too. The last few birthday parties we have had, I have had to call/email parents several times to hear if they are coming. It is just awkward. I don't mind with my friends, but I hate trying to chase down the parents I do not know as well. I know people get busy and forget, but when 1 person out of 10 RSVPs and they all end up coming, it is a problem. :glare:

I guess it has become the "norm" all over then. DS only invited 7 kids to his party today (bowling) and I have no idea who, if anyone is coming. Of course now it's Sunday morning and all of his friends' families go to Church so by the time it's 9:00 (in my mind, an OK time to call) many of them will be gone already. I guess we will see when we get there. I hope it's not just the family. That would be so sad for DS.

I do have time to call RE: DD's party next week. 3 of the kids she invited are from the same family so I want to make sure they are coming!

RE: thank you notes, I make the kids write and send them. Some people feel like a goody bag does the job but that is just not the way I was raised.

I have six boys in my yard right now who all responded to our invitation. No one was a surprise. The one who couldn't come also let us know. The key was that the invitation went out by email as well as on paper. Parents could just hit reply and let us know.

If I can RSVP by email, it makes my life so much easier. I can do it when I get back from my morning run while the rest of the world is still asleep. I don't have to worry about inconveniencing someone with an improperly timed phone call.

And my kids send thank you notes and we always get them from my kids' friends. Maybe it is a location thing?