Menu

If you have dealt with continuous illness hitting your kiddos, what did you do???

I am SO tired of illness striking us! My ds10 is the main one that keeps getting hit. It started with an ear infection before Christmas and he took medicine. Exactly two weeks later, my dd8 and he had a mild fever and flu-like sypmtoms for a couple of days. After that, we've had some days of just not feeling good, but no obvious symptoms. This past week he had the stomach bug severely eventually throwing up bile every 15 min. until we took him to urgent care and got some meds and an IV bag. He recovered fine, but today, exactly one week from the start of the stomach bug he is down again with mild fever and flu-like symptoms. Ahhh!!! We do not get sick often, but my goodness, this is getting ridiculous. I wouldn't say we have terribly unhealthy habits. We are not rigid and try to be balanced in our eating. We take vitamins and supplements. Does anyone have any wisdom to share to help us get past illness around here????? This is getting hard. I cannot keep up a consistent school schedule. I feel like a car engine that keeps revving but doesn't go anywhere. Just as we finish getting sick, we try to get back to normal and then boom, something else hits. Something has to change around here or we are going to quarantine ourselves!

DS10 gets prescription strength Vit D as he has Lyme's over the summer.

That is the only recent change to our protocol.

Four years ago I started giving them Colostrum every night before bed - mixed in milk - I buy the powder from our LLMD or in a pinch I can get it from Whole Foods but it is the same brand and prohibitively expensive from them. I can also get it at MOM's.

All of us take Sun-Chlorella A with every meal. The kids take Fermented Skate Liver Oil also after two meals. The name of that escapes me but if you PM me, I will look it up.

I can only say that this must all work b/c even when they were in a private school and everyone was getting sick, my kids stayed fine and DS has Reactive Airway Disorder and would be prone to bronchitis and pneumonia at the slightest thing -- but not any longer.

HTH

I don't have any answers, but we are dealing with the same thing. Same exact time frame too! Dd10 some sort of fever/cold thing right before Christmas, me bronchitis mid Jan, dd10 another cold thing two weeks ago which became a horrible cold for dd16 and me. We have been down for a week and are just now recovering. Ugh! We take probiotics and vitamin C and dd16 has been taking vitamin D.

So just some :grouphug::grouphug:

We live in an old farm house. We have forced-air heat. We had our furnace ducts professionally cleaned several years ago...I don't think the fella that live here for 50 years beforehand had EVER cleaned them...it really seemed to help. The cold/sore throats/coughs seemed to completely end with the little ones.

Get lots of sleep too. That helps.

This happened to us last year (2009/10). It was horrible. I tried everything!!!! Literally. In the end - what helped us? Spring!!!! If I had to do it all over, I'd quarantine us. What was happening was I'd send a healthy one to an activity and he'd catch something and bring something different back.

Anyway, if it helps - this year it's been GREAT!!! My two youngest were sick in October and nothing but colds since. (I'm knocking on wood right now as everyone we know has the flu!!! The real one - Influenza.)

I hope you all get better soon. I know the stress!

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. We, too, use vitamin d3 and probiotics along with a multi and fish oil. We also use essential oils/homeopathy for treatment. I went to a home remedies meeting last night and came home with homemade elderberry syrup and cough syrup, so we're using that today too. I've seen colostrum in the health food stores, but honestly haven't ever looked into it. What is chorella-a? Is it a vit. A supplement? How do you know how much to give? We are going to the chiropractor today in hopes that that will help align him and help his immune system, too. I'm suspecting that antibiotics made him weak. He had one round in either Nov. or Dec. and it was after that round that he has continued with illness here and there. So, yesterday and today, I haven't even given him Tylenol or ibruprofen for his fever. I'm letting the fever do it's job. It's around 101, but hasn't gone much higher. He woke up today a little better, but still a fever and sounds clogged. Sinus infection? Cold/flu? I don't know anymore. I'm encouraged to hear that next year could possibly be better. I'm working on strengthening us around here and I know that doesn't happen overnight, so hopefully the fruits will be seen later. I think we'll keep up the chiro. visits to help boost things, too. Thanks again and if you have anything else to offer, I'm all :bigear:.

This happened to us last year (2009/10). It was horrible. I tried everything!!!! Literally. In the end - what helped us? Spring!!!! If I had to do it all over, I'd quarantine us. What was happening was I'd send a healthy one to an activity and he'd catch something and bring something different back.

Anyway, if it helps - this year it's been GREAT!!! My two youngest were sick in October and nothing but colds since. (I'm knocking on wood right now as everyone we know has the flu!!! The real one - Influenza.)

I hope you all get better soon. I know the stress!

quarantine yourselves. I've said that no kids get to go ANYWHERE till they have been completely symptom free for 10 days. It is horrible because they get tired of it too. But constantly coming down with something stinks.

Same thing, but we've beat it going on 2 years now. Haven't been sick once.

We eat low carb - typically Paleo (check out paleonu.com) It's anti-inflammatory and important for managing my autoimmune disease. Have never felt better and all of our allergies (which were BAAAAD where we live) are 100% gone (seriously). My husband had some debilitating nerve pain from back surgery and eating this way has also completely relieved the pain. The boys don't have any more behavior problems since eating this way, either. Oh, and speaking of moods, with blood sugar regulated like this, I'm not "angry mommy" anymore.

Vitamin D3 helps a ton. We take 10,000 IU's a day since our bodies naturally create more than that when outside. Typically, we only take this in the fall/winter when we're not able to get outside much.

Stopped taking antibiotics. We'd take them for life/death situations, but for ear infections, sore throats, etc, we tough it out and eat lots of garlic and cayenne and try to build up our own immune systems. One of my sons used to get an ear infection a month and I was so worried about the overuse of antibiotics (like, if he had a life/death situation, would he even respond at all to the bigger antibiotics?) that finally, I just stopped. Got some warm, garlic infused olive oil to help sooth the pain and kept him hydrated and just toughed it out. That was 5? years ago and the only other time he's had an ear infection was after antibiotics a couple of years ago for strep.

Hope you find something that works for you. I know what it's like to be sick or have someone in the house sick all the time. Pretty darn miserable.

Same thing, but we've beat it going on 2 years now. Haven't been sick once.

We eat low carb - typically Paleo (check out paleonu.com) It's anti-inflammatory and important for managing my autoimmune disease. Have never felt better and all of our allergies (which were BAAAAD where we live) are 100% gone (seriously). My husband had some debilitating nerve pain from back surgery and eating this way has also completely relieved the pain. The boys don't have any more behavior problems since eating this way, either. Oh, and speaking of moods, with blood sugar regulated like this, I'm not "angry mommy" anymore.

Vitamin D3 helps a ton. We take 10,000 IU's a day since our bodies naturally create more than that when outside. Typically, we only take this in the fall/winter when we're not able to get outside much.

Stopped taking antibiotics. We'd take them for life/death situations, but for ear infections, sore throats, etc, we tough it out and eat lots of garlic and cayenne and try to build up our own immune systems. One of my sons used to get an ear infection a month and I was so worried about the overuse of antibiotics (like, if he had a life/death situation, would he even respond at all to the bigger antibiotics?) that finally, I just stopped. Got some warm, garlic infused olive oil to help sooth the pain and kept him hydrated and just toughed it out. That was 5? years ago and the only other time he's had an ear infection was after antibiotics a couple of years ago for strep.

Hope you find something that works for you. I know what it's like to be sick or have someone in the house sick all the time. Pretty darn miserable.

How wonderful for you and your family! This was VERY encouraging, thank you! Do your children take 10,000 IU's of D3, too? I've increased his while sick, but normally they take 2,000 IU's which is in addition to the 400 IU's in their multi. I've recently heard about the Paleo cookbook. I'll check it out, though, because I haven't looked it up yet. It was SO encouraging to hear your experience. Very excited to look into this! I hope I can do it. I'm not known for successful implementation (I'm a successful researcher and info. collector, but the implementation is lacking greatly!), but it's looking as if there's no where else to go but down if I don't do something different for good. Thanks again!

How wonderful for you and your family! This was VERY encouraging, thank you! Do your children take 10,000 IU's of D3, too? I've increased his while sick, but normally they take 2,000 IU's which is in addition to the 400 IU's in their multi. I've recently heard about the Paleo cookbook. I'll check it out, though, because I haven't looked it up yet. It was SO encouraging to hear your experience. Very excited to look into this! I hope I can do it. I'm not known for successful implementation (I'm a successful researcher and info. collector, but the implementation is lacking greatly!), but it's looking as if there's no where else to go but down if I don't do something different for good. Thanks again!

PM sent. :)

Guest momk2000

This has been a particularly bad year for us as well. We usually don't have too many illnesses passing through our family, but this year it has been non-stop. Needless to say, we are very anxious for spring to get here.

Every now and then I close up a room and open a window. Now, it is Chicago area here and usually it is cold enough to get things dead.... I hope. If we have sickies going back and forth, then I will open a window in every room of the house and turn off the heat for a few hours. This is when everyone is actually feeling good and I take them out for the duration of freezing out the germs.

I really don't know if this works but it makes me feel like I do something-LOL. Oh, and we use a lot of lysol when someone is sick. Also, I only use clorox bleach cleaner to clean the kitchen and bathrooms.