Menu

Bear with me: first child, first loose tooth.

Okay, I know that you have all been through this and it is a normal part of life - my son is about to lose his first baby tooth. He walks in the room with a very worried look on his face and opens his mouth, holy cow.

So, here's my question - the tooth he is about to lose is one of the bottom, middle two. There is a tooth coming in behind the loose tooth. Is that how this works? I always thought they lost the tooth and the new tooth was underneath. But, I can see this whole new tooth coming in a good distance behind - it is huge. (I cannot imagine him having a whole mouth full of these things here soon.)

I am not ready for this, lol. Can the new tooth coming through cause a fever? He had a fever yesterday and we couldn't really figure out why, but I know babies get fevers when a new tooth comes in...

Bear with me. First child. Trying to calm *his* fears. Trying not to freak out myself! :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:Yes, the new tooth often comes in a little behind the outgoing tooth. Then, it moves forward and into the correct position. It surprised me a bit too! As big as it is, they all somehow manage to fit in.:D (Showing all his lovely big white teeth.)

Teething isn't supposed to cause a fever. They'll tell you that for babies too. :lol:But, at this time of year, I'd bet he had a little bug instead.

It is common for the new tooth to come in behind the baby tooth but not "normal." If your son loses the baby tooth relatively quickly, it is fine. If the adult tooth is too far back, it won't loosen the baby tooth enough to come out on its own in a timely manner and your dentist will want to pull it to prevent the new adult tooth from sitting in that position so long that it settles there. My DS has had a bunch of teeth pulled because they came in too far back and the baby teeth either were not loose at all or were not loose enough to come out on their own. The last one he had loose that we pulled had been wiggly for over a month and was not getting any looser so we pulled it because the adult tooth had been back there waiting for too long.

Your son's mouth must look just like my son's mouth. He lost his first baby tooth last week and both bottom permanent teeth have erupted behind the baby teeth positions. DS thought it was pretty cool that he actually had 22 teeth instead of 20 when those two permanent sprouted :lol: .

Didn't read any other posts - but having the teeth come in behind first has been very common with my kids, and they've always moved forward into place once the baby tooth has come out!!

And - yes, I think they could get a fever!! I remember my dd when she was about 6 had a fever - no other symptons - the next day I just happened to see that she had molars breaking through. She was teething!!

And my eldest son just had an adult molar erupt and he had some pain that day as well. So I guess I should have kept the orajel on hand past those baby years!!

One of my sons had both his bottom teeth coming in behind two extremely loose teeth. We don't have great dental insurance, but the dentist told me the sooner they come out, the better for moving them into position and actually wanted us to come in if they didn't come out soon. So after giving him a couple of weeks to wiggle them, dh and I finally yanked them for him. It was horribly traumatic so I don't know if I can say I recommend it. Of course, when I say horribly traumatic, I mean for dh and I. The kid didn't want them to come out and was freaked out because he had seen his brother's come out and bleed so he kicked up a fuss, but we felt like it just needed to be done. Did I mention that he had also had two ear infections during this round of teething - his very first. Sigh. After we yanked them, he was fine, but we were in tears from feeling like we had tortured the poor kid.

Edited by farrarwilliams
clarifying something...

DD's two bottom permanent teeth were about 3/4 of the way in (behind the baby teeth) before the baby teeth fell out. I took her to the dentist because they were coming in so fast and the baby teeth were barely loose. The dentist wasn't really concerned. We saw an ortho that week too for a consultation for her cross-bite and he wasn't concerned at all. It's been about 4 months now since the baby teeth fell out the teeth have moved forward and they almost look like they are going to fit, I don't know how that happened because they seemed huge when they first came in.

The same thing happened with both of dd's bottom middle teeth. We actually discussed it with our dentist and he wanted to give it some time. I think the second one took at least a month to come out but there were no problems and the adult teeth are now in their proper places.

ETA: These were the first two teeth that she lost. Next she lost the middle two on top and she aggressively wiggled them to get them out. There were no adult teeth in sight. It's been about 4 months and the first adult tooth is coming through. Just so you know that the other teeth might be different. :)

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI