Menu

Sonlight too expensive?

Mom28kds

It is no more expensive than buying books! The IG is only around 10% of the core's cost, the rest is books! BOOKS!

Glorious wonderful books!

I love books and buy them anyway. Makes more sense for us to have a teaching plan to go with specific books. That way I remember to use them!

You can often get them used as well.

Personally - I think TOG is much more expensive up-front :O!

I may eventually buy a Core from Sonlight, but so far after buying 4 cores (not all from SL) I have been piecemealing. And I think I like it! It must be the joy of the hunt. :001_huh: I never knew I was a hunter! I buy IGs and stuff from them, and if I can't find it used, I'll finish it up with Amazon (4 for 3!)

I bought my first core from SL, and have been piecemealing the 2nd one ever since I got the first one. I've discovered that lots of SL stuff on e-bay are usually under $2/book, and I bought the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures DVD, so I can go through the IG and make my own timeline figures (even with buying label paper, it will still be less expensive after about 2 cores).

I really like SL and the wealth of books that go with a topic. I don't know that it will always be our primary history, but for right now, it's a great fit.

It's not that bad if you spread it out, and it is so worth it to have all those wonderful books. I buy what I must from Sonlight and buy the rest as I need it from Amazon - in $25 or greater increments of course. Many of the readers and read alouds are buy 3 get one free on Amazon.

This is what I do. I buy a used IG and then I piece together all the books I can on Amazon, taking advantage of their 4 for 3 deals. I have an Amazon CC and we put everything on that thing and I use my rewards points for Amazon gift cards. The only thing that comes directly out-of-pocket are the few purchases I need to make from SL directly.

I have looked at buying used sets for the convenience, but so often it seems people want at least 2/3 of the retail price if not more. There's no way I can justify paying that when I can get brand new books at that price.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

For Core 3+4, I've spent $35 on the IG and Landmark book. I'm planning to use the Complete book of US history ($6 at Costco) instead of the history of the USA workbooks), and the readers/readalouds will come from the library, minus a few I've picked up here and there for under $1 (Goodwill has a bookstore here, and children's books are cheap).

I suspect the core will end up costing me under $100.

With ds we borrowed SL cores (three of them) and I pieced one together. It about drove me bonkers! :willy_nilly:

Dh said, "Just buy it!" We will keep and use them for all of the dc's, so it is really a good value. They offer a 1/2 price IG upgrade if you want to do that. It's much easier for me to get one box than to wait on 20 separate ones.

When I used SL, I purchased the cores new. Once I switched to other stuff, I started searching out stuff used. I actually enjoy the hunt and the fun of getting bunches of packages over time. I usually save a bunch of money, too.

Getting books at the library is not an option for me. Our library rarely has books that any curriculum schedules. Inter-library loan here costs $5 per book. Most books I buy used for less than that.

I am using MFW right now and purchased all of the scheduled books. We are 6 weeks into the schedule and so far our library has only had two of the books recommended for book basket. It works because I just search for books on the topic we are covering. But, if I need specific titles, I have to purchase them.

and buy a used IG that is several year old, certainly you can save money. I have two good library systems that are very accessible, many friends who use Sonlight, and access to a good homeschool consignment store and many used bookstores. I averaged less than $100 a year and recovered some of that by reselling the books.

It did take time and planning though, and that is not something that I could do now. It was kind of fun to search out the books and build the next Core though!