Menu

We're officially homeschooling, as of today!

We'd been holding off, waiting for a field trip to happen, but at the last minute, the school rescheduled the trip for later and we just decided that was a sign. DH took our withdrawal letter into the school today, and although the secretary was snippy, no one challenged him or gave him any trouble. That's why I had him do it. He gives off a "Don't mess with me" vibe like no one I've ever seen before.:lol:

We had told the school that dd was sick, (she's been absent 4 days, counting today) but yesterday they called my mom, who is listed as an emergency contact, and told her that she needed to find us and tell us that if dd wasn't back in 2 days, they were going to court to get us charged with child neglect! :001_huh: We just found out about that this morning, and it drove home for us that we're doing the right thing by pulling dd out.

a quick thought. make sure you are in line with the state homeschooling laws and notify whoever you need to notify. especially since they called your mom and started that line of inquiry.

welcome and feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

btw why were you waiting for a field trip...i'm just curious:)

Sheesh! A phone call to relatives would have been enough for me to get fed up! 4 days is not that long. Some kids have the flu longer than that!

Congrats! :D Pulling your kids out of school is the scariest part of homeschooling. It's a lot of fun from here on out! :tongue_smilie:

Good luck!

iona, we had prepaid for the field trip way back in August, and it would have been really cool, but in the end it just wasn't worth it. Our dd was so miserable wrt school that she told us we could just think of something to do together later instead. A few hours later, she saw a billboard and decided that we simply MUST go to the children's theater to see The Magic Fish in March. Her only request was that we invite her best friend from school.

I think it will work out fine.

iona, we had prepaid for the field trip way back in August, and it would have been really cool, but in the end it just wasn't worth it. Our dd was so miserable wrt school that she told us we could just think of something to do together later instead. A few hours later, she saw a billboard and decided that we simply MUST go to the children's theater to see The Magic Fish in March. Her only request was that we invite her best friend from school.

I think it will work out fine.

oh i understand...have fun planning your 'school' field trips!

Haha! Last year when we were edging toward the decision to start homeschooling, I asked God for a sign. He sent me three!

Looks like you've got yours, too. Congrats!

BTW we've been sick here going on ten days now -- can't imagine getting a threatening phone call after four! It's just this persistent thing we're all taking turns getting and it takes FOREVER to shake. They wouldn't have been going to school that's for sure -- and a district would WANT them there, coughing and hacking all over the rest of the kids?!!!

Whether your dd is sick or not, 4 days is NOT a long time for children to get over something. Wouldn't want to be dealing with your crazy district.

Best wishes on the homeschooling journey! Each month it gets better and better.