Menu

Independent reads for 3rd grade

Paula in MS

Please give me your best suggestions for books that will capture the interest of my 3rd grade girl. I want reading to be a fun pastime for her, not a chore. She reads on grade level, is highly imaginative, and loves animals. She is also very into science, so non-fiction ideas are welcome.

We are reading from the step into classics series for assigned reading. Many of these are read out loud to me. She has a tendency to speed through a book and skip unfamiliar words instead of stopping to figure them out. I think this will end if I can find some books that will be enjoyable to her and will keep her interest.

I look forward to hearing some of your ideas.

Thanks,

Paula

ETA: I am looking for suggestions for "fun reading". I am hoping to find some books that are so interesting to her that she has to read just one more chapter before putting it down. These can even be below grade level. I just want her to WANT to read SOMETHING. Thanks.

Edited by Paula in MS
Clarification

Imaginative + animals:

The Mouse and the Motorcycle series

anything by Thornton Burgess

Charlotte's Web

The Trumpet of the Swan

3rd grade girl:

Betsy-Tacy series

Little House series (if these are too long for her yet, try the "chapter books" - they are snippets from the read Little House books and very nice)

The Moffats series

All-of-a-Kind Family

(the last two are at a higher level, so maybe not yet)

Non-fiction + animals:

Nature Readers from Christian Liberty Press

Crinkleroot's Guides

Don't worry about the skipping words. :001_smile: They really do grow out of it, though I always backed them up when they were reading out loud to me. And even if she isn't stopping for the word, she is storing away the context clues, and she will know more about the word next time she sees it.

Edited by angela in ohio

A Wrinkle in Time? It has a strong female protagonist and is very science themed. I loved it as a kid and just had my 3rd grade son read it. He really liked it and he never likes the books I make him read. He's into Percy Jackson which may appeal to her too. My friend's DD is into the 39 Clues series. I read the whole Black Stallion series around 3-4th grade too as a kid and loved them! I would recommend those too. I have no idea what reading level they are.

Or a little easier would be the Bobsey Twins and the old Trixie Belden series.

I just found the Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers at our homeschool library and my daughter who loves science and nature absolutely loves these books! I believe they are part of their reading program so they have Nature Reader K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (I think). She just finished 2nd and is beginning 3rd. The only problem is that I wish there were more of them! :)

Here is the complete set -http://www.christianlibertypress.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KITNR

Melissa

Fun books that my dd can't put down and are listed as late 2nd to 3rd grade level:

Geronimo Stilton by....Geronimo Stilton. This is a series about a mouse detective.

Flat Stanley series

Sugarplum Ballerinas by Whoopi Goldberg

She also enjoys the CLP Nature reader that someone else mentioned. I don't know what they intend, but the level on the book doesn't EXACTLY match to grade. Dd is reading CLP nature reader 1, while everything else she reads is solidly 2nd to 3rd.

I look for series of books for my dd, because she is very slow to get interested in a new book. But once she starts a series, she will read them all.