Menu

I hate science!

Ugh! This is my least favorite subject and I feel like Indy is missing out because of that. I hate doing science experiments. Just the thought makes me want to dive under the blankets in my bed and hide. We're currently doing RSO Earth and Space, which Indy loves, but I dread. It has 2 experiments a week and...just ugh. I need a new science program for next year. Does anyone have any suggestion on a science program that has SOME experiments, but has reading with it too? HELP!!!!

Have you looked at the Apologia Elementary Science books (Flying Creatures, Botany, Land Animals). These have lots of reading and an experiment at the end of the chapter (sometimes in the middle). Not to much or too elaborate, but fun and gets the point across. These also have narration exercises and notebooking. Depending on the child you can cover one book a semester or use it for the whole year. It is written so a 3rd grader can read on their own and discuss with you. It's a great series.

I resisted Apologia for a long time because I have serious issues with Ken Ham's philosophy that one must be a literal six-day/young earth creationist to be a Christian, but I was "forced" to review the books last summer at a homeschool fair where every.single.vendor. had stacks and stacks of Apologia's elementary curriculum and, it seemed, nothing else for elementary science. Ken Ham did not write the elementary series, by the way. After looking through the books and the notebooks (the ones published by Apologia), and being encouraged by a random fellow-shopper at the Rainbow Resources booth, I decided to put my anti-Ken Ham prejudice to the side and bought Flying Creatures and Astronomy.

My fifth and first grader like the textbooks and the notebooks very much, but the very best thing about Apologia is that you can buy kits from Nature's Workshop, for $70 or so per course, that have every little thing you need to do every single activity in the book. If the experiment requires a tablespoon of cooking oil, your kit for that lesson has a tiny vial of cooking oil. If it requires a red plate, there's a red plate in your kit. The best science curriculum is the one that gets done, and these kits make sure science gets done at our house.

Several vendors offer cheaper kits, but they are not as inclusive. Our day is pretty tightly scheduled, and the half-hour I would spend collecting "common household items" is a half-hour I didn't have, and if I did, I certainly would not want to spend it measuring cooking oil and tracking down a red plate!

My 7 year old wants to be a scientist when he grows up, and I owe much of that enthusiasm to Apologia. Even my high schooler enjoys listening in to the science lessons and pitching in on the activities. She pointed out recently that she never really had elementary science (long story), so she's catching up on some basics with her younger siblings.

Terri

My fifth and first grader like the textbooks and the notebooks very much, but the very best thing about Apologia is that you can buy kits from Nature's Workshop, for $70 or so per course, that have every little thing you need to do every single activity in the book. If the experiment requires a tablespoon of cooking oil, your kit for that lesson has a tiny vial of cooking oil. If it requires a red plate, there's a red plate in your kit. The best science curriculum is the one that gets done, and these kits make sure science gets done at our house.

Those kits do look SOOOOO good. RSO has kits at Home Science Tools, but when I looked at them, they don't include everything you need, and they do include things that most homeschoolers have at home, like color pencils. I plan to do RSO Earth & Space next year (sadly, Apologia doesn't have an earth science book yet), and I spent an evening making a list of supplies I'll need to make my own "kit". Funny thing is that I'd be buying half the supplies from Home Science Tools, and my whole "kit" will cost less than what they're selling the RSO kit for. The reason being - I don't have to buy color pencils and other such things I already have. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, my plan is to make up baggies labeled by week, similar to what the Apologia kits do, and that way when science time comes, I'll have everything I need and it will be very easy to get done. I'll just do this planning when I do my filing and lesson planning at the beginning of the school year.

I'm really looking forward to it! For now, I put off science last week and am not motivated this week either, but DS wants to do it, and it shouldn't be hard... we're supposed to freeze some stuff. My son LOVES science. He says it's his favorite subject! I think the Nature's Workshop people need to make kits for other curriculum too. I love the looks of Apologia (skipping over the pre-millenialist ideas), but I just don't want to spend a gazillion years on biology topics. My son is interested in weather.

I've looked at Apologia, but we are very secular homeschoolers. Are there any secular curricula out there for elem?

Have you looked at Little Professor Science Kits? http://www.sciencecats.com/?

I bookmarked it a while ago but have never seen or used their products. They come in kits ("all you add is water") and appear to have an online component as well. They are pricey, and the website is hardly a font of information, but they could be great.

Terri

Ugh! This is my least favorite subject and I feel like Indy is missing out because of that. I hate doing science experiments. Just the thought makes me want to dive under the blankets in my bed and hide. We're currently doing RSO Earth and Space, which Indy loves, but I dread. It has 2 experiments a week and...just ugh. I need a new science program for next year. Does anyone have any suggestion on a science program that has SOME experiments, but has reading with it too? HELP!!!!

Don't do experiments. I learned to dislike them very quickly with my oldest. I had too many "helping" hands which usually resulted in it being messed up. All the work for nothing. I haven't done them for years, but now that my oldest is old enough to take charge I have had them (the oldest 2) spend 15 mins a day doing experiments.

I often use the Sonlight videos and experiment kits, which are based on Usborne experiment books. I don't buy the whole science package. Just the video, experiment book and supply kit. I don't remember the video's having religious content. Sonlight has a lot of secular users. They watch the video, try the experiment and if it needs modification because it doesn't work well, the videos will have a better alternative and will demonstrate it. I also had them go through the whole series of K'nex education kits. They have big kits that cost hundreds of dollars, and smaller kits that cost around $35. The smaller kits cover physics concepts like pulley, levers, planes, wheels, etc... I threw in bridges for the fun of it. It really doesn't have to be painful.

Right now just read to them or find something for them to read. Do experiments later when they can do it on their own. I start them in 5th grade.

No need for guilt.

Heather

I'm hearing you. It's an organizational thing for me - I never feel 'pulled together' enough to do science. My DD is desperate for experiments though, so Im pulling out the Apologia Astronomy. We've tried to get started 2-3 times before...

Maybe this time...

I don't like science either:/ And I def. dislike experiments-especially because our space is SO small. We just started FIAR and there are neat things you can do like grow clover, read about plants/flowers in the area you are studying-just very simple things that lead to further learning.

I often use the Sonlight videos and experiment kits, which are based on Usborne experiment books. I don't buy the whole science package. Just the video, experiment book and supply kit. I don't remember the video's having religious content. Sonlight has a lot of secular users. They watch the video, try the experiment and if it needs modification because it doesn't work well, the videos will have a better alternative and will demonstrate it.

This is one thing I really liked about SL. It was nice to have all of the supplies provided and the videos were great for "seeing" how it was done. The experiments are not overwhelming at all. I think we will go back to them next year.

Terri

I think I'll look into this next year too. This would make it so much easier for me to get things done:001_smile:

I am really really really liking Aha! Science from http://www.learning.com

It's $15/student for a 12 month subscription and has 37 "modules" of life, earth, space & physical science. There is curriculum that the Aha! Science people put together: Learning Modules (animated lecture), Lessons, Activities, Games, Journaling Exercises and Quizzes for each of the 37 Topics. In addition to this, you can search for any topic your student is currently studying, and insert even more assignments, reading suggestions, research topics, videos, weblinks, ETC, ETC, ETC!!!! Just a ton of info. I thought DS would breeze right through it after we initially started it but after I figured out how to search all the other users curriculum additions I've learned how to beef it up and make it last longer.

Definately check it out. It's for grades 3-5 but I would say you could make it hard enough for 6th grade, and it would be a great science "primer" for as early as k, imho. :)

HTH!!! :D

How about Galore Park Junior Science? We used RSO last year and, while my ds loved it, I had the same feelings as you about the labs. We switched to Galore Park this year and it is so much better. It is mostly reading and comprehension questions. There are a few experiments but we've skipped those and done some Science in a Nutshell kits.

I have a REALLY sensitive nose, and the smell of formaldahyde in high school biology made me puke. Literally. It was like the smell was so strong that it permeated every cell in my nose, mouth, and brain. I tried to tell the teacher, but she thought I was being dramatic, and I ended up puking in front of the whole class. And of course then it became a mental block, and every time I even looked in the direction of the lab I felt a little nauseous. Which turned into me completely hating science. I am DREADING having to teach it to my kids.

Just wanted to pop in and say that Ken Ham is NOT associated with Apologia...he is associated with Answers In Genesis. ;)

You are right, of course. I didn't mean to imply that they're the same thing, but looking back, I certainly did. Due to some baggage from my own education (not that I'm bitter...), I tend to lump all literal/6-day creationist curricula into Ken Ham's "My Way is the Only Way" camp.

Thank you for setting the record straight.

Terri

The Apologia elementary series may fit the bill. Also, Abeka science for the younger years doesn't have too many experiments, but the ones they do have are quality. The experiment kits for Abeka can be purchased from www.homesciencetools.com

We are secular hsers too. We are currently using Real Science Odyssey. It isn't very meaty, but we supplement by checking out every age appropriate book on the subject from the library. RSO features projects rather than experiments.

The "What your X grader should know series" has worked well for us in the past for science as well. We just use a section of the book as a base and expand from there with library books. Since these books are only about $5 on ebay, it is a pretty cheap approach!

For a third option, a fellow secular hser shared this site with me offers a free science cirriculum: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/classicsciinfo.htm

We did RSO Earth and Space last year. We loved the solar system section, and I ended up skipping several of the labs at the end (I was pretty burnt out and was not interested in dealing with sorting thru soil and variations on that theme). We're doing Chemistry this year and are enjoying it for the most part. It helps, I think, that I liked Chemistry in school (but not Earth Science). Maybe it's all the math in chemistry that appeals to me. Who knows.

I think next year we're going to try Elemental Science. They have physics. My problem next year will be seeing if Physics (which will be mostly age appropriate for my then 5th grader) is too hard for my advanced 2ndish grader (he'll be 8 in June, so I could call him a 3rd grader). They've done science together so far since we were slow starters. I think my older son might be slightly behind and I'm trying to sort out a good plan for what to do when he needs more challenging work and while my younger son might be able to handle the same work, he doesn't NEED to.

And, of course, dealing with the 10 year old complaining that the 7 year old has less work. :001_rolleyes:

Anyway, my plan is to make up baggies labeled by week, similar to what the Apologia kits do, and that way when science time comes, I'll have everything I need and it will be very easy to get done. I'll just do this planning when I do my filing and lesson planning at the beginning of the school year.

Great idea!!! Starting NOW :D

I hate experiments so I don't do them. We combine nature study, science reading, BFSU, and lots of free time for them to explore. Our science is very rich without the dreaded experiments. You really don't have to do them!

:iagree: We take every science related field trip we can and have membership to the local science museum. We do things like jr. ranger programs through national and regional parks which have been huge too and just have science read alouds going all the time. We saw a chem demo put on by a local university a few weeks ago, and are going to a physics demo put on by the same university on Wednesday.

I've found by having some handy kits around the house, the kids get them out and experiment too. We have snap circuits, crystals, physics kit to name a few.