Menu

BSA - Eagle Projects

No Eagles here, but maybe it would be helpful to you to hear what the projects were of the kids at our church--we have at least one Eagle every year!

One kid spread mulch along the path thru the woods leading from the Rectory to the road around the cemetary that we use as a short-cut. He bordered the path with rails, and installed really nice lights that come on at night (only). I don't know how long it is, but my guess would be 75 ft (Dh says 100).

Another built a 3-sided shed for the large amt of firewood our church uses--we cut up all fallen trees on the property and use the wood for apple butter. He used some sort of large beams, and boy, is it sturdy. They cover the wood with tarps and it's wonderful. It's really big.

Another Eagle graded and laid down gravel on a connecting road across one of our fields. We use it ALL the time.

Still another fixed the brick sidewalks, and another poured a concrete altar and fixed it up in our outdoor chapel. Another boy laid stone all along the drainage ditches along one piece of our 550ft driveway (it curves--he had to redig part).

I know there have been more, I just can't think of any! :001_smile:

Edited by Chris in VA

Mine designed and built 16 composite wood team benches for the local athletic field. They look really nice and have little brass plates with his info on them. Another kids excavated and did a flag pole and garden at the new visitor center, and another did a quail raising/release program at a wildlife area nearby.

Our Eagle did a children's flower garden at an organization called Habitat for Hope. The garden is for children and their families who have been treated or are being treated at St. Jude Children's Hospital.

He raised all the funds for the flowers, trees, bulbs, bench, and statues that went in the garden. He consulted with other gardeners to get ideas. He drew up his own plan for the garden. And then with his group of volunteers, he led the group in preparing the ground, planting the ground, and then adding the finishing touches like mulch and the bench. It took them about 3 weekends to get the project completed.

It was a growing experience for ALL of us. Our Eagle had to learn how to LEAD others. And I had to step back and LET HIM!;)

Hope that helps!

Brenda

only one is actually my son. I do Advancement for my troop. Our troop had gotten into doing mostly landscaping/improvement of buildings type projects. Several boys decided on a different direction, so we seem to be building more structures these days. My own son, built a large deck, with a ramp on it, onto a historic little train depot. Its a historic little building, and is where many community events, Santa visits, school musical gatherings and such are held. Its been very useful, just at the few events I've attended since then. Another Scout did a similar project: a new church that is converting a home into a church, needed an entrance improved to be used by elderly, so his project involved lots of building permiture. One of my nephews designed, created a game room in a shelter for women: the room was for toddler and young children to play safely, with toys, decoration, books, furniture, etc.This was a big project. Another nephew put fencing and landscaping around another safehouse project, for families needing protection. Another boy in my troop created a special memorial garden, working with the sponsoring church's mens' group: is has a bench sitting across from what appears to be a pile of rocks that have water babbling out of them, with a 10 X 20 area landscaped. A friend of my son's re-modeled some unusable pens at a dog shelter, putting in runs, also. Some of these were high dollar projects, but they do not need to be, by any means. There are a bazillion ideas on the Internet, but it did seem like my son just ended up hearing about this need, and he loves trains, and our small troop has a mission to benefit its own little community....we're talking postage stamp small, but the troop is tiny too. It works. Good luck and good Scouting, LBS

Eagle project time is an exciting time! My ds made picnic tables. He actually didn't want to as he thought he was a lame standby but it was what the church wanted. They wanted some outside seating for picnics, and really desired the tables. A nice conversation with the recipient will help in the planning process.

A friend of mine helped several boys attain their Eagle Scout rank. The troop leader set the bar high for their projects. The three that I remember:

1. Created a basketball court for the community. Had asphalt laid, painted the lines, installed the hoops.

2. Created a playground for the community. They constructed the playground equipment and installed a soft media around it.

3. Created an landing pad in the community for life-star type helicopters to pick up health emergency cases. The nearest previous location was quite a distance away. The landing pad included lights for night-time landing, wind sock, etc. to meet the needs of the pilots.'

Good luck to your future Eagle Scout. That is quite an achievement.

Pegasus