Menu

What subjects to afterschool??

Hello Hives,

My DS(8) is in 2nd grade in PS, we practice some Math and Language everyday aside from the daily homework given from his school.

Just wondering, since we never receive science/social studies books at home, should I be worrying about teaching these subjects at home too??

Or should I leave these subjects solely at PS and teachers..??

What do afterschooling moms generally teach - just maths/language??? or science/history too??

As I read on Homeschooling threads, They take up SOTW lessons ( for history), taking up different topics of science at home, analysing facts about them , experimenting.. SHould I be worried if my ds is learning all this at school...or I need to step in ??

After reading Hoemschooling threads, it feels we are studying nothing.:confused:

If *if* dd5 gets into the awesome charter school for next year, my current plan is to afterschool science with Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding/interest-led work and math with Singapore. That's the only firm idea. I am considering continuing with ETC as well. And practicing signing and dabbling in Spanish, both of which are taught at the school. We shall see what actually happens, of course :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
As I read on Homeschooling threads, They take up SOTW lessons ( for history), taking up different topics of science at home, analysing facts about them , experimenting.. SHould I be worried if my ds is learning all this at school...or I need to step in ??

After reading Hoemschooling threads, it feels we are studying nothing.:confused:

If topics like history and science are important to you, and you don't feel the school is doing a good enough job, then by all means do it yourself at home. If those topics are not important to you, don't worry about what everyone else around is doing.

:)

Rosie

What do afterschooling moms generally teach - just maths/language??? or science/history too??

I'd say math is probably supplemented the most by afterschoolers. We used Singapore and are now using AoPS. Doing so has helped my son understand math very well.

To figure out what to add, I use Core Knowledge's Scope and Sequence. There is no way I could do all of it, but I have used a number of their suggestions at home.

Also, what I supplement varies from year to year. Some years a subject is taught well in school, and others, not so well. It just depends on the teacher and what the school is using.

DD8 does math (MathUSee and MathWhizz) and language arts (MCT - Island level) every morning. I think children become strong at math by doing math and grammar/poetry is not emphasized at her school. On Saturday mornings, we also do history (30-45 minutes) following SOTW. Science is terrific at school and I don't have time to do it all. I would love to do logic, latin or another language (which they also don't get at school), etc., but kids need time to play too!

I'm currently not afterschooling much because between homework and extracurriculars, there would be no time for free play, and my child needs that. If I could steal half an hour here or there, i would focus exclusively on math and reading, with perhaps logic as a distant third. These are the matters that are most important to me and that i cannot absolutely let fall through the cracks. Everything else the public school can pick up. My child is in 1st grade but going through a 2nd grade curriculum.

My 4th grader is afterschooling with Math Mammoth, Visual Latin & Latin's Not So Tough for foreign language and vocabulary building, and Bible studies. She reads a lot of good books as well, but that's in her free time and not something I "make" her do.

We will be adding in Phonics Pathways for my 1st grader and possibly a cursive program to improve his handwriting. Other 1st grade classes do a lot of letter writing that allows inventive spelling so I'm watching for that and will supplement if needed to address my concerns there. I can't stand inventive spelling!! :glare:

We also do "circle time" as a family (ages 1 to 9) where we go over math facts, a persecuted country a month based on our letter of the week (geography, prayer needs, flag, etc.) , greek letter a week, memory verses based on letter a week, review/introduce a sound a week (like /ch/ or long vowels, etc.), do art and music study, etc..... I blogged and posted pics of it recently. http://www.thomasschooldays.blogspot.com

Our major focus is to create a literature-rich environment for our DD8. Even though she is a very fluent, high level reader, my DH and I read with and to her everyday. We often listen to audiobooks in the car and during down time at home. If she is interested in a subject, we get books from the library and immerse ourselves in it. (The charter school she attends, while terrific in some regards, has some pretty big academic gaps. They don't even have reading groups in her classroom this year which I find shocking.)

Beyond that, we do extra math drills, she takes weekly piano lessons and a weekly fitness-based activity (i.e. swimming, ballet, yoga, karate, etc) and at her request, she and I are just starting a home-based Japanese language program, for fun. Frankly, after being in school all day and then doing homework, DD needs time to play and relax so we try to keep any afterschooling causal and fun and not over do it too much.

Our major afterschooling occurs during the summer and longer school breaks, when she and I do unit study/literature based "camp" at home. Last summer, we did a Little House on the Prairie camp and the previous summer we did an American Girl camp, based around the historical girls. We both really enjoy this time together and it gives us a chance to supplement some areas I feel are lacking at school.

Our major afterschooling occurs during the summer and longer school breaks, when she and I do unit study/literature based "camp" at home. Last summer, we did a Little House on the Prairie camp and the previous summer we did an American Girl camp, based around the historical girls. We both really enjoy this time together and it gives us a chance to supplement some areas I feel are lacking at school.

:lol: I love the idea of a literature based "camp" at home! Now I have a great approach for the upcoming summer.

We do most of our afterschooling on Saturday mornings, during longer breaks and the summer. But we do do a little math, grammar and piano every morning.

We work on character building, nature study and things they will not do in school. I also stay very informed with the kids' teachers on what they are learning so I can help them at home. I don't do anything formal although I've toyed with the idea of using some type of unit study on weekends. I just want to make sure the kids have time to be kids, ykwim?

We might do some reading with study guides this summer, dd10 could really benefit from that.

I'd say math is probably supplemented the most by afterschoolers. We used Singapore and are now using AoPS. Doing so has helped my son understand math very well. To figure out what to add, I use Core Knowledge's Scope and Sequence. There is no way I could do all of it, but I have used a number of their suggestions at home. Also, what I supplement varies from year to year. Some years a subject is taught well in school, and others, not so well. It just depends on the teacher and what the school is using.

We use Singapore for mathy dc & Math Mammoth for un-mathy dc. And Core Knowledge. This critical thing, IMO, is to know when to stop! My dc love CK, but they also need time for homework, sports/activities, play & sleep.

Our major focus is to create a literature-rich environment for our DD8. Even though she is a very fluent, high level reader, my DH and I read with and to her everyday. We often listen to audiobooks in the car and during down time at home. If she is interested in a subject, we get books from the library and immerse ourselves in it.

Audiobooks are great -- especially if you have car time.

We work on character building, nature study and things they will not do in school. I also stay very informed with the kids' teachers on what they are learning so I can help them at home. I don't do anything formal although I've toyed with the idea of using some type of unit study on weekends. I just want to make sure the kids have time to be kids, ykwim?

We might do some reading with study guides this summer, dd10 could really benefit from that.

Just wanted to say -- nice to see you back here again!

My kids loved listening to SOTW on CD in the car as we were driving around. It was easy to do, and a great intro to history, since they didn't seem to be doing any at school.

Ditto

ETA

Sometimes we do subjects not covered in school -- say ancient history. Sometimes we add to subjects -- this year dd is doing American Revolution -- we read My America/Dear America and did Homeschool in the Woods American Revolution. I can't say enough good things about Homeschool in the Woods for afterschooling! The American Studies mini-curricula can be used as a supplement very easily -- they take a very small amount of time, are visual and fun, and also inexpensive.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/

Edited by Alessandra