Menu

My bright "new" desk

I have been working on this all week and I had to share. For months (years?) this has been used as the catch-all desk with the pencil sharpener, hole punch and other necessary school tools. My wrists have been hurting like mad, so dh (who is the ergonomics police) insisted I get a desk with a keyboard drawer and better height for my monitor than my beloved giant desk (that I am sure predates home computers by many years). I liked the idea of clearing off my big desk so I could set up my sewing machine or easel on it instead of the odd cubbyhole I use for them now. We shopped around, but didn't find anything I liked that was the right size for my space. We have had this desk for years, but it was too ugly and dark and wobbly to bring into my studio/office/sunroom.....so a week of gorilla glue, paint, and patience and I have a bright new computer desk to talk to all of you from :)

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/starchildmom/tags/flowermedalliondesk/

Wow! There you go Terry, inspiring us all... I must now get up and **finish** setting up my studio (sounds much better than office or study). I too just bought a new desk and moved the homeschool OUT of here. I want to sew and paint and create. I looked back at some of your work and just WOW! Thanks again! Must go!

Oooh...you make me want to nab some furniture & paint it before dh gets home...hmm...who shall my victim be? (looking around) :glare: All my candidates are laminate! Oh, the outrage!!!

(Not that we have no real wood, just that the heirlooms are putting on their puppy dog eyes & begging me not to. LOL)

BEAUTIFUL desk, btw! I thought you'd covered it w/ a quilt until I looked closer. Is painting a usual hobby for you? Or just a whim w/ this piece of furniture? I'm assuming you realize you could make a killing w/ that skill!

Um. Wow! What a beautiful job! I love the "crazy quilt" looking background with the medallions. What a difference! Did you come up with the patterns yourself? Did you free-hand everything? Wow!

Thank you. Yes, it is my original pattern and other than tracing round things for the circles it is all freehand.

Is painting a usual hobby for you? Or just a whim w/ this piece of furniture? I'm assuming you realize you could make a killing w/ that skill!

I paint a lot. If you look through my Flickr there are several of my paintings. I have absolutely no desire to sell my work. I used to do gallery shows and all that business, but no more, or at least no more until my kids are grown and no longer homeschooled. Right now it is all for me and family and to share with friends which is has given me an awesome feeling of freedom.