Menu

Life of Fred Elementary

Marsha

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Has anyone heard about this lately?

Is he writing addition first?

Yes. He is writing addition first and hopes to have the first book out sometime later this year.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Really?!?! :D Do you know what kind of reading level it will be? I am guessing this is a sit down and read with mom sorta thing? (Still makes me very :D) I have two ds that I would love to start in this !!!

That I don't know. We use LoF as a supplement and read it aloud together so I know I'll do that with my younger children regardless of the reading level so I didn't think about it:D

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
He seems to be really fast at writing.

I wonder what his projected dates are for the books.

I assume he will probably have 4 books:

Addition, SUbtraction, Multiplication, and Division

Does anybody know?

I would guess but don't know that either. When I emailed him last (about 2 weeks ago:blush:) he didn't say what the titles would be (I didn't ask) and would only guess at when the first book would be released.

That I don't know. We use LoF as a supplement and read it aloud together so I know I'll do that with my younger children regardless of the reading level so I didn't think about it:D

I would want to sit down and do this with them anyway since they would be very young so I guess my question was kinda pointless. We also use it for supplement. That is what my oldest does to "warm up" with math in :D

VERY VERY excited :party: :thumbup:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Yes. He is writing addition first and hopes to have the first book out sometime later this year.

I should have said he is starting at the beginning. I'm assuming it's addition but don't know that for certain. When I emailed him I asked if he would be starting at the beginning and working forward or working backwards from Fractions, and he replied that he would be starting at the beginning.

I'm just curious because I find sometimes that I'll miss hundreds of threads on this board if I don't get on for a couple days... besides reading this board, how did you learn this? Does he have a place where he posts info? Or a Yahoo group like Nebel and MCT have?

I'm so excited! It's such a great idea, and I've been waiting forever for Sweetie to be ready for the Fractions book...

:)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I'm just curious because I find sometimes that I'll miss hundreds of threads on this board if I don't get on for a couple days... besides reading this board, how did you learn this? Does he have a place where he posts info? Or a Yahoo group like Nebel and MCT have?

I'm so excited! It's such a great idea, and I've been waiting forever for Sweetie to be ready for the Fractions book...

:)

I emailed the author and asked. I don't believe there is a Yahoo Group. When the first book is done he will post about it on his website but there isn't anything there yet.

Is he intending for it to be a supplement or a complete program? Will it be only the 4 operations or also other elementary math topics (like time, money, etc.)? Will it be a "steps- and facts-focused" program, a more conceptual/mental math program, or a balanced mixture of the two (I'm thinking in the style of saxon vs singapore vs math mammoth)?? I'm assuming it will have word problems. Will there be review of previous learned operations in the books to follow? Will it be by grade or by topic?

I'm very excited about this!

ETA: I decided I'd just email him these questions :)

Edited by hmschooling

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Is he intending for it to be a supplement or a complete program? Will it be only the 4 operations or also other elementary math topics (like time, money, etc.)? Will it be a "steps- and facts-focused" program, a more conceptual/mental math program, or a balanced mixture of the two (I'm thinking in the style of saxon vs singapore vs math mammoth)?? I'm assuming it will have word problems. Will there be review of previous learned operations in the books to follow? Will it be by grade or by topic?

I'm very excited about this!

Have you seen the other books? LoF is a very unique program that teaches through story. I would say Saxon is the polar opposite but the others are also nothing like LoF. I would imagine the style is like them but am not sure. I am also not sure if he intends for them to be stand alone like the more advanced books or used as supplements, or if they will contain topics such as time and money.

Have you seen the other books? LoF is a very unique program that teaches through story. I would say Saxon is the polar opposite but the others are also nothing like LoF. I would imagine the style is like them but am not sure. I am also not sure if he intends for them to be stand alone like the more advanced books or used as supplements, or if they will contain topics such as time and money.

Yes, I've seen and LOVE the others! I realize he teaches through story, but wondered if at this level he will be teaching more along the lines of the "how" through story or the "how & why" through story-- and if there's going to be facts practice built in.

I just emailed him. I'll pass along any info I gather from him!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Yes, I've seen and LOVE the others! I realize he teaches through story, but wondered if at this level he will be teaching more along the lines of the "how" through story or the "how & why" through story-- and if there's going to be facts practice built in.

I just emailed him. I'll pass along any info I gather from him!

I would guess no facts practice and that he would follow the same basic format (how and why through story) but will be interested to see what he says!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Wow, I had no idea he was writin elementary level books! That will be awesome! So where's the cheapest place to purchase LOF books new? RR or someplace else?

I think they are the same price at RR and Z-Twist books. I always purchase from Z-twist because it costs the same, he links to them from his site (maybe he gets more?), and you don't need to order $150 for free shipping like you do with RR. There is a website (http://lifeoffredmath.com/) that sells them for slightly more and charge shipping but they aren't associated with the author, just a business that sells his books.