Menu

Wood Floors

Yet another question, how you guys clean wooden floors, with three kids in house , racing their trucks and cars on floor.. how you keep it scratchless and maintain its shine??

I am using Murphy oil soap and it give it a good mop twice a week, but its not that shinning or clean as I want..

Do you use any special Steam machine ( I saw one at Bed, bath ) and any special wood cleaners??

No steam on wood! Ack.

Wood is super simple to care for. I vacuum with the floor attachment after the kids are in bed. I could just sweep but it has to be done often and we have only wood. It is quicker for me to vacuum the entire downstairs at a go. Occasionally I damp mop. Frequent sweeping/vacuum is, for me, more important than the mopping. It's the bits of crud and crumbs that really make the floor look and feel bad. It is also what degrades the shine over time. All that dust and dirt wear away at the finish. So, sweep/vacuum often to keep the finish looking good for a long time.

When I damp mop I use a bit of vinegar in the water. If it is a part of the floor that gets REALLY dirty (not that you have that) I use a small dash of dish soap in the water and then damp mop again with vinegar water.

The darkness or lightness of the wood does not matter. But don't use dark vinegar, lol.

I was told NEVER to use MOS on them, I just dry mop with a sheep's wool swiffer type mop I have and then spot mop when I need. The weird thing is that my kids run around in socks all day long and the floors never make thier feet dirty.

Actually, you shouldn't use MOS on woodwork, either. Over time the oils soak into the wood and darken them. (The antique guys told us that.)

We use vinegar and water. I do think the vinegar cuts the finish over long periods of time but our floors are very old and probably that contributes. I don't damp mop it nearly as often as dry removal of dust and etc.

The steam mops can only be used on sealed floors or something like that--so it might work on specific finishes. Not ours. I've still done it when someone vomits or something as my son has an immune issue and it makes me feel better. The floors handle it but I don't think it's good for them and I wouldn't do it if they were newly refinished or something.

Bona. it's wonderful stuff!

My hubby owns a floor covering business and highly recommends Bona to all of his wood floor customers. They actually have a kit that comes with a handle, microfiber pad and a bottle of the cleaner. I think they have a refillable spray mop now too.

We've had a few customers talk about it being streaky but we finally figured out that it was removing residue from other cleaners. Once they used the Bona a few times, the streaking was gone.

My entire house is hardwood and I only use Bona. The only thing that could make it better...a magic mop that cleans while I'm sleeping. :P

We use Bona - I think they sell it by the gallon for a very reasonable price at Costco. I sweep the kitchen pretty much after every crumby meal (4 kids!) because it is that kind of stuff that gets ground in the floor when chairs slide, etc. I use the Bona once a week with a microfiber mop, and we spot clean more frequently with a rag. We have a matte finish (doesn't show scratches like the higher gloss), so I can't answer the shine question. But my kids run around in socks and they never look that dirty.

Hoover FloorMate. I have bamboo floors, vinyl and tile and it cleans them all wonderfully. I like it because it scrubs the floors (it may take a few goes to get deep dirt up and you still have to scrub near base boards and corners) then sucks all the nasty water up. We have very clean socks here.

ITA, I use a FloorMate at the houses I clean (6 families) and they like the results as well.

I use water and vinegar or pinesol. You can use anything non-oil based.