Menu

Soup

This one is from From the Earth by Eileen Lo, a veggie cookbook I love. It can easily be quadrupled, keeps and rewarms well, is tasty COLD on a hot day, doesn't state overwhelmingly gingery. Everyone loves it. The dark sesame oil is optional, as I've never used it, and everyone still loves it. Scallions are optional, too.

Heat a big pot with 2 1/2 T peanut oil.

Add 2 teas minced garlic

1 T minced ginger

Stir until garlic starts to tan

Add 1 2/3 C diced onion. Stir and let cook for 5 minutes on low heat

Turn heat up and add 3 C EACH diced tomato and potato.

Add 3-4 cups good saltless veggie stock

1 1/4 teas salt

1 1/4 teas sugar

Simmer until potato is soft but NOT falling apart.

Add 1/2 C chopped scallion and 1 teas. of the dark sesame oil

I love this recipe :) it's from one of my favorite cookbooks by Isa Chandra...I know a couple more but this is the only one I have out at the moment. I know she posts some of her soups on http://www.theppk.com. They're all vegan

Chickpea Rice Soup With Cabbage (serves 8 so you might want to double it?)

Olive oil (1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons, however much you want to use)

1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon dry thyme

1 teaspoon salt

Fresh black pepper

1/2 cup jasmine rice, rinsed

1/2 lb baby carrots (see comment above)

1 lb cabbage, shredded (about 1/4 of a big head)

6 cups broth

1 24 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)

3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill, plus extra for garnish

Preheat a stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion in olive oil with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and saute a minute more.

Add rice, carrots and cabbage and then pour in the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring down to a simmer, add the chickpeas, and let cook for about 15 more minutes, until rice is cooked and carrot is tender.

Stir in the dill and season with salt and pepper to taste. This definitely tastes better the longer you let it sit, but it can be enjoyed right away, too. Top with extra fresh dill.

A friend just sent me this one that sounds delicious but I haven't done it yet:

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Source: Panera Bread

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp butter, melted

½ medium onion, chopped

¼ melted butter

¼ cup flour

2 cups half and half

2 cups chicken stock (could sub veggie)

½ pound fresh broccoli

1 cup carrots, julienned

salt & pepper to taste

¼ tsp nutmeg

8 oz grated sharp cheddar

Directions:

Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half and half, making a roux. Add the chick stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.

Coconut-Curry Squash Soup

You need:

A med.-large butternut squash

Olive oil

Onion

4-6 cups vegetable broth

Coconut milk, 1 can

Spices

Peel, seed and cube the butternut squash.

Chop an onion and saute in olive oil.

Add the cubed squash and 4-6 cups vegetable broth. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the squash is soft when pierced with a fork.

Puree in the blender or food processor. (A stick blender is perfect for this!)

Add one can coconut milk.

Add spices to taste. I add (approx.):

1 tsp. sweet curry powder from Penzey's

1/2 tsp. cumin

3 cardamom pods, peeled and crushed

1-1/2 tsp. salt

white pepper

A pinch of cayenne or chipotle powder

That's all. It is super easy, it's a gorgeous color, can be made ahead of time, tastes just as good or better the next day.

To serve 12-15 people, I'd double or triple the recipe, depending on whether the soup is the main course or not.

Cat

here is a link to Chloe's Virus Killing Chicken soup.

It does have chicken. but personally I don't eat the chicken and I do think it could easily be just made with vegies.

http://circlingthroughthislife.blogspot.com/2010/10/chloes-virus-killing-chicken-soup.html

And here is a chili again I make it with out meat

Tig’s Black Bean Chili (Incredible, low-fat, 1-hour chili)

2 T. olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 green bell pepper, diced

1-lb ground turkey (I omit this and use extra beans, instead)

1 16-oz can chicken broth (I use vegetable broth or the meatless chicken broth from the Bulk Spices section of Central Market)

1 T. chili powder

1 ½ tsp. ground cumin

¾ tsp. dried oregano

½ tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. coarse ground black pepper

3 cloves garlic, crushed

2 (15-oz) cans black beans (I use dried beans that I have soaked and cooked for 2 hours)

1 (10-oz) can chopped tomatoes with green chilies (I use Muir Glen, you could use Rotel, also)

1 (14-oz) can plain diced tomatoes

1 (15-oz) can Kidney beans (I use dried beans that I have soaked/cooked for 2 hours)

2 T. cornmeal, plus extra

6 T. chopped, fresh cilantro

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer Cabot’s Extra Sharp)

In a large soup pot, brown the ground turkey in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add chopped onion and chopped bell pepper. Sauté and stir until the onions are clear. Add spices (except for fresh cilantro, which is an herb anyway), tomatoes, beans, and broth. Simmer covered for about 1 hour. Thicken by sprinkling and stirring in cornmeal. Add enough cornmeal to achieve desired thickness. It is not really necessary to measure; but, it will take at least 2 tablespoons to keep the base from being watery. When ready to serve, top each bowl with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and cheddar. Now, I prefer to add the cilantro directly to the pot and then to have extra for people to use in their bowls. We also like to provide lime or lemon slices for people to use if they wish to squirt some over their individual serving. A dollop of cream fraiche or sour cream is nice, too, on top of each serving (of course, that adds fat, which makes it no longer a low fat dish, as does the cheese).

Does anyone have a nice recipe they use?

Vegetarian and easy- if I could make it ahead of time that would be awesome. I need it to serve 12-15 if that matters.

I just made vegetarian vegetable soup to serve 17 this morning.

I just use whatever I have on hand- I often choose to make vegetable soup just so that I can use up the wilted vegies in the fridge.

This soup had potatoes, sweet potatoes, a little pumpkin, several parsnips and several carrots, a zucchini, a fair few mushrooms, and the corn off 2 dried up corn cobs. I seasoned it with vegetarian chicken stock powder and soy sauce. I use a stick blender to make it smooth.

I made home made bread rolls to go with it- it was great! The mushrooms give it a very meaty type of rich flavour, but for those who dont like mushrooms, they couldnt see them because it was blended.

Usually I would fry onions and garlic before adding water and everything else- today my last onion was rotten so I didnt even do that. Just vegies and water, and flavour (stock powder, soy sauce).

Its very easy and every pot is different according to what vegetables I use. There's also no dairy in it so it is ok left out overnight- or refrigerate if you prefer.

I found this one for Carrot and Curry Soup recently on allrecipes.com and I LOVE it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-Carrot-With-Curry-Soup/Detail.aspx

I've altered it a bit sometimes by using some carrot and some parsnip and at the end, before blending, adding a roasted, peeled sweet potato. I've also done it by adding roasted parsnip when I add the sweete potato at the end, when I had some left over roasted parsnip. It is soooooo good, but the recipe would need to be increased for 12-15 people.

• 7 months later...

I wanna try this. Thanks.

Coconut-Curry Squash Soup

You need:

A med.-large butternut squash

Olive oil

Onion

4-6 cups vegetable broth

Coconut milk, 1 can

Spices

Peel, seed and cube the butternut squash.

Chop an onion and saute in olive oil.

Add the cubed squash and 4-6 cups vegetable broth. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the squash is soft when pierced with a fork.

Puree in the blender or food processor. (A stick blender is perfect for this!)

Add one can coconut milk.

Add spices to taste. I add (approx.):

1 tsp. sweet curry powder from Penzey's

1/2 tsp. cumin

3 cardamom pods, peeled and crushed

1-1/2 tsp. salt

white pepper

A pinch of cayenne or chipotle powder

That's all. It is super easy, it's a gorgeous color, can be made ahead of time, tastes just as good or better the next day.

To serve 12-15 people, I'd double or triple the recipe, depending on whether the soup is the main course or not.

Cat

One of our favorites is Potato Leek Soup

1 tbsp olive oil

1 clove garlic, minced

4 leeks, washed and thinly sliced

4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes

4 cups broth (it calls for chicken but we use vegetable)

1 cup water

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1-1/2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried

1/2 cup grated cheddar or swiss

chopped fresh parsley or thyme for garnish

In a large pot, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and leeks and saute for about 5 minutes, just until soft. Add the potatoes and saute another minute. Add the broth, water, salt and pepper to taste, and thyme. Simmer about 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

At this stage, if you prefer a thicker, creamer soup, puree all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and pour back into the soup pot. Over low heat, slowly add the grated cheese, stirring until melted. Sprinkle the chopped parsley or chives over each bowl before serving.

It says it yields 6 servings. I generally double it to feed my family of seven with a bowl or two of leftovers.