Menu

Who else wears "regular" swimsuits?

I just wear a fat lady swimsuit. My 10 year old wears a standard one piece we found at Target with matching shorts. My 17 year old is very modest and wears swim capris (which I tried to talk her out of because I think they are over the top but nobody ever listens to me around here) with a tankini top.

I grew up wearing only one pieces, and I never did get over that until it was too late: twin skin is not conducive to bikinis! :tongue_smilie:

I just bought a new suit from Shade (www.shade.com). It is a two piece that covers as much as a one piece but doesn't look so fuddy-duddy. This will replace the black one piece I got 15 years ago from Kohls. That was $50 well-spent! :lol:

My girls wear normal 1 or 2 piece bathing suits. I might have more of a problem with it by the time they get older, but so far it isn't a problem. I also don't have a problem with people who desire to cover up as much as possible. I say just go with what makes you feel comfortable!

OH, come on!! I'm the only person (eta: aside from the OPer) who wears a bikini top? How embarrassing. I promise you I'm not the most in shape mom on the board. I tan very easily, I'm Native American, I don't want a stark-white stomach, I just don't! :lol:

Nope, not the only one. I grew up on the South Florida beaches (born and bred native) so I'm most at home barefoot in a bikini. My girls all wear bikinis or Speedo tankinis as well. Back in PA I used to wear Speedo one pieces because the northeast was a little more conservative and when in Rome... Now that I live in the land of the boobjob my two pieces blend in better. Everyone is considerably less covered than I am.

Barb

Nope, not the only one. I grew up on the South Florida beaches (born and bred native) so I'm most at home barefoot in a bikini. My girls all wear bikinis or Speedo tankinis as well. Back in PA I used to wear Speedo one pieces because the northeast was a little more conservative and when in Rome... Now that I live in the land of the boobjob my two pieces blend in better. Everyone is considerably less covered than I am.

Barb

You're not alone. My two good neighbor friends both wear bikini tops - one with a skirted bottom and the other with bikini bottoms. They look great, imo. They're both around my age (42). They're not immodest, just comfortable with who they are. Plus, they get a lot more versatility out of their swimsuit pieces than I do from my one piece.

Definitely a bikini here. I would feel weird in a one piece. Ive lived in Florida most of my life, so it is just a common thing here. Although I do ask my dc how they feel about it. I am 33 and have three kids, but you would never know it. However, I dont want my kids to feel odd having their "OLD" mom on the beach in a bikini, lol!

Speedo or equivalent. I like to actually swim when I go to the pool, and I HATE having to mess with straps that go all wiggly, or bottoms that want to go a different direction than I do. And skirts, etc., would just be extra drag in the water.

When my younger dd was a baby I wore a bikini because it seemed simpler to use as a nursing top, plus I wasn't doing the laps -- I was hanging out with my baby by the pool.

Bikinis and regular one or two pieces here. Depends what I'm doing. Just sitting by the pool, bikini is the way to go. Swimming laps, I like a two piece. If I'm going to be in the water all day, I wear a one piece so I burn less.

Just because things cover up more doesn't mean they are more modest though lol. When I wear my shortie wetsuit, like when I go wave running, it covers everything from just above my elbows to just above my knees, but it isn't modest at all lol. It hugs the curves very well (I love how I look in it).

I think the water is a great place to wear sexy clothes :).

Thank you all for replying. I'm glad to know I'm not completely alone. :) I'm fortunate to have pretty much the same body I had in high school and I live very close the the white Florida beaches, so swimsuits are a regular part of life around here. If I'm snorkeling or at the water park I wear a one piece but I'm often to be found lazy swimming and relaxing in a bikini. To wear much different around these blazing temps would stand out in a screaming way. (100% is not uncommon along with 100 degree temps)

Thank you!

Another quick question out of pure curiosity: If you didn't answer this in your original post or you happen to just be reading this; would you wear a bikini if you "still had the body" and lived in beach land? Just curious. :)

Another quick question out of pure curiosity: If you didn't answer this in your original post or you happen to just be reading this; would you wear a bikini if you "still had the body" and lived in beach land? Just curious. :)

It would depend on what I was doing. A bikini would leave more skin open for sunburn. Also, I've had bikini parts slapped away by the waves (not totally off the body, but definitely moved into new, unexpected places).

But, assuming I needn't worry about sunburn or being undressed by the water, I'd be okay with it.

Yes I would. My sis actually wore a bikini when 6 months pregnant on the beach in Hawaii! She looked beautiful.

I don't think I'll ever get back into a bikini though. I've only got about 10 more pounds to lose from this last baby adn I'm back to my high school weight. But, the stretch marks are just unsightly!!!

I wouldn't wear bikinis, even if I had the body. And here's why:

1. I have four daughters. Even if I wasn't concerned that I would attract undue attention from men, I am concerned that my daughters would. They are gorgeous girls growing into young women. This hasn't been an issue for us b/c they are most comfortable in swim team suits.

2. Before I got serious about my relationship with God, I liked the attention I would receive from guys. That was years ago, but I don't need to wear anything that tempts me in this way.

3. My husband actually prefers one-piece bathing suits. To wear a bikini would be dishonoring to him.

4. In my area of the world, I know very few moms who wear bikinis. Even though many of them would look great, they choose to wear one-pieces. It's not an issue of being a "people-pleaser" as much as it is a non-issue b/c of my other reasons for not wearing them or having my daughters wear them.

With this, I understand the heat factor. I grew up on the beaches of NC and while it's not FL, it still gets quite hot. If it were me in FL, I would try to find one-pieces (or tankinis) that were a bit cooler (lighter color, lighter fabric, etc.) However, I don't judge anyone who doesn't hold these same views. It's not a big deal to me, but this is why, for our family, the females don't wear bikinis.

:) Cindy

Bikini wearer here. :D

I love having a tan tummy. The weird part is, I would never wear a "belly shirt." No particular reason, I just don't like them.

And, just for fun because my husband loves to "sneak attack" with the camera.

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/157/3191/1024/DSCF0881.0.jpg Do not click this is "tushy pics" bother you!

If I had your body, I'd wear a bikini too! :glare:

I wear bikini tops with board shorts. And not the bikini tops that are the mini triangles that just cover the tip of your breasts. Ones that are a whole piece across your front, like a tankini but a little shorter. Ones that function when you are trying to go down waterslides and not lose your top when you drop off the 6 ft. drop!

We wear the regular ones here. I work my butt off to get into a two piece and I am not giving it up any time soon. :D I didn't know modesty was such a big deal until I started home schooling and joined the online communities. I respect it more and more every day but it is not part of my culture or my religious upbringing. My teenage dd wears two pieces, too. We are a very athletic family so we own competition and practice suits that are one piece, but we don't wear them to the beach! :D Let's hear it for crunches.

Me :-). I have a regular one-piece and a tankini with swim skirt. I don't like the swim skirt, though-- it balloons up when I hit the water. I'm about to buy myself swim shorts, but I can't quite stomach the price tag, so I haven't made the purchase yet. But eventually, I will succumb, bite the bullet and fork over the money.

Summer is around the corner.