Menu

Portobella sandwiches?

I bought two portobella mushrooms with plans to use them for sandwiches tomorrow at lunch. Does anyone have a recipe they like?

I'm thinking of grilling them with butter, but what else to add, if anything, for spices? Onions? Garlic? Cheese?

(Note: I don't consider butter or cheese evil.)

From the Feb. issue of Clean Eating magazine.

BURGER

4 large portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean with damp cloth

4 slices red onion, each round about 1/4-inch thick

1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

4 whole-wheat hamburger buns

4 romaine lettuce leaves

SAUCE

2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt

1 tablespoon extra-virgin oilive oil

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley

1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Heat a grill pan on medium-high heat. Lightly brush mushroom caps and onion with oil. Grill mushroom caps and onion for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until mushrooms are tender. Set aside on a separate plate. Grill buns, cut-sides-down, for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until toasted.

Meanwhile, prepare sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Spread sauce on bottom half of each bun, dividing evenly. Top with onion, muchroom caps (smooth-side-down), cheese and lettuce, dividing each evenly. Top with other bun halves.

I plan to make this this week.

From the Feb. issue of Clean Eating magazine.

BURGER

4 large portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean with damp cloth

4 slices red onion, each round about 1/4-inch thick

1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

4 whole-wheat hamburger buns

4 romaine lettuce leaves

SAUCE

2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt

1 tablespoon extra-virgin oilive oil

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley

1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Heat a grill pan on medium-high heat. Lightly brush mushroom caps and onion with oil. Grill mushroom caps and onion for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until mushrooms are tender. Set aside on a separate plate. Grill buns, cut-sides-down, for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until toasted.

Meanwhile, prepare sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Spread sauce on bottom half of each bun, dividing evenly. Top with onion, muchroom caps (smooth-side-down), cheese and lettuce, dividing each evenly. Top with other bun halves.

I plan to make this this week.

This recipe sounds really tasty, but I don't have all the ingredients for the sauce. I'm thinking with these I might go the olive oil/salt/onions and cheese route and see what we think.

Next time, however... ;)

Should I grill the whole sandwich similar to a grilled cheese (after cooking the mushrooms separately? I'm thinking it sounds tasty done that way, but I don't know if I'm missing something that would make it not work out.

My favorite way to eat them is to brush the caps with olive oil, grill or fry them whole for a few minutes on each side until they are tender. Take them out of the pan and grill/fry sliced red and green bell peppers, sliced onions and a minced garlic clove or two (with two mushrooms, I would say 1/2 of each pepper to total 1 whole one and 1 medium size onion). When the peppers/onions are almost done (you may want to add a little water to the pan to soften them even more), add salt, pepper, a nice size sprinkle of oregano. Slice the mushrooms and add them back to the pan, remove from the heat and stir in a little balsamic vinegar. I like this piled between sliced ciabatta bread or in a sub bun, topped with shredded smoked provolone and then broiled until the cheese melts. Yum!

They are also great grilled/fried whole (brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with something like McCormicks Montreal Seasoning or just salt and pepper) and served on a toasted burger bun with roasted red peppers, lettuce, tomato, and a mixture of mayo, horseradish and dijon mustard for the sauce.

I suggest my dd's panini invention: Happy Hobbits

Cut the mushroom top into 1/3-1/2 inch slices at a diagonal. Brush with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Grill both sides on the panini maker.

Spread Dijon Mustard on both slices of your chosen bread (we use sourdough), arrange mushroom slices, top with thinly sliced Gruyere cheese. Grill in the panini.

Always receives raves in this house.

hth

~Moira

Our fav grilled portabella mushroom sandwich recipe is to take a loaf of crusty bread, cut open and spread with pesto, then add sliced grilled portabellas, arugula, sliced mozz (fresh or not) and roasted red peppers.

oh yum.....such a spring dish..makes me long for spring! (yes, you can eat it now, but it screams spring to me!)

My favorite it to make a tomato, basil (fresh), mozzarella (fresh), and portabella mushroom panini sandiwich...... yummy! I thinly slice the mushrooms but don't pre-cook them. I just pile everything on some good bread (my favorite is the Asiago Cheese bread from Panera), brush both sides of the bread with olive oil, and then either grill (if the weather is nice) or cook on an electric skillet. Sometimes we will also add a bit of thinly sliced capicolla or other similar cured italian meat.