Menu

What advice would you give someone new to homeschooling

or to someone considering homeschooling. I ask this for 2 reasons.

1. I think people starting to or considering homeschooling probably often find this board , but as a newbie are afraid to ask questions.

2. I am often recommended to people who are new to or considering homeschooling in our local area.

1. I'd tell them "You are NOT going to ruin your child!" then move on to recommend some basic books, provide websites, and have Rainbow Resources send them a catalog (or would that intimidate them?;) )

I think assuring newbies that no curriculum choice is written in stone,and that they do not have to fear ruining their child's life by choosing the "wrong" math book, etc. is primary. That public school teachers do not have a magical "lock" on teaching a kid (point out they are more trained in crowd control than any actual subject matter).

I have two pieces of advice.

1. Determine what your approach to education is BEFORE you attend a homeschool conference. That will lessen the overwhelming "what am I getting myself into?" effect and help you to just look at the curriculum options for your approach (i.e. classical, CM, Units, etc.)

2. Give it three years before you "give up". I have been told this and found it to be true in my own experience and in watching friends.

Too often, one jumps into homeschooling only to jump out again at the first hint of conflict, struggle or whatever. By the third year, I think most homeschool parents are feeling more relaxed and capable.

Oh, sorry, thought this was the favorite movie quote thread! :lol: Sorry, rought start to a Monday morning. Honestly and seriously, I'm so new myself that I'm enjoying reading the responses. 3rd year home, but 1st year as independent hsers...it wasn't the "walk in the park" I thought it would be. Worth it? YES. Easy? H****lllllll NO! The advice given me before we started (from a veteran hser...actually several) was to get any discipline issues under control FIRST, before you add in the extra dimension of teaching. Life will be much easier. I can't say that we got all of those issues under control and I wish we had, but I think those issues crop back up in the course of the year when you experience burn-out and need a break.

Oh, don't be afraid to take a "professional development" or "in service" day each month...public school teachers are alotted them for a reason so why shouldn't we do it to? And one thing I learned this year was not to focus so much on the learning and academics that you forget to enjoy your kids and enjoy the journey. I'm still working on that part...

1. It will take a while to find your groove. You may have to switch curricula or even style a couple of times. That's completely normal and it won't damage your kids. You are capable of teaching your kids, but like everything else there is a learning curve.

2. Stop and smell the roses. Hsing gives you the chance to spend lots of time with your children learning together and having fun. Take advantage of your flexible schedule to do fieldtrips, nature walks and picnics. Those memories will be what your kids remember about hsing, not the math facts drill.

So far, good advice! I always tell newbies to read TWTM. Most new homeschoolers, at least in my experience, are still very "school" minded. They purchase a set curriculum, like all Bob Jones, and try to have a mini public school in their homes. So I try to rock the boat some by suggesting TWTM and then some eclectic curriculum choices. I figure that even if they choose not to follow TWTM, at least they'll see that there's a different way to educate than what the ps does.

I like the point about finding your groove--even though you might feel that you're missing something (a common fear, I think, of homeschoolers), the intangibles will be worth it. My son was interviewed by his friend's dad the other day at the homeschool convention--one thing he mentioned liking was spending time with family. This from my soon-to-be 14 yos!

I would say to read as much as you can about the different styles of homeschooling before you commit to anything. There is no one right way to homeschool. It is possible to find your own style by taking the bits from each style that resonate with you best and leaving the rest.

Do not compare your family or your style to anyone else. Everyone has to walk their own path based on their own individual (and familial) considerations. No two homeschools can ever be exactly alike.

I will actually ask them to look at why they have decided to homeschool. I think that you have to believe that homeschooling is the best educational alternate for your family. It takes a lot of commitment from the entire family for homeschooling to be successful. Then once you and the family have caught the passion for homeschooling curr choices etc become easier. I also tell them don't be afraid to admit that a choice (math, reading etc) is not working. Also don't feel like the structure/schedule of your day needs to be like public school. For example we tend to do electives in the summer when we can really dedicate a lot of time to them and dig into our studies. This summer we will be doing electronics. The one subject I especially encourage them to do in none traditional schooling ways is history. I have a passion for living history books and my son's friends love to hear about what we are reading and studying even though they say they hate their history classes in school.

I will actually ask them to look at why they have decided to homeschool.

Yes, yes, that is what I also wanted to say but the thought slipped right out of my head. I completely agree with this. Once you have clear your reason for homeschooling in the first place, it is easier to find your groove.

I have two pieces of advice.

1. Determine what your approach to education is BEFORE you attend a homeschool conference. That will lessen the overwhelming "what am I getting myself into?" effect and help you to just look at the curriculum options for your approach (i.e. classical, CM, Units, etc.)

I say the same thing. I also direct people to the book by Cathy Duffy about the top 100 curriculum choices (or whatever it's called; I don't have it in front of me right now) because it has a quiz of sorts to help newbies get an idea of what methods might work for them.

Also, I strongly encourage people to NOT rush out and buy curriculum before they have some idea of what they want to do. I find a lot of newbies make curriculum purchases their first step and really, it should be one of the last.

I say the same thing. I also direct people to the book by Cathy Duffy about the top 100 curriculum choices (or whatever it's called; I don't have it in front of me right now) because it has a quiz of sorts to help newbies get an idea of what methods might work for them.

Also, I strongly encourage people to NOT rush out and buy curriculum before they have some idea of what they want to do. I find a lot of newbies make curriculum purchases their first step and really, it should be one of the last.

I agree with this!! I encourage people to research the different styles of homeschooling and usually they will find one that sounds like a good fit for them. It will be the one that makes them feel excited about the whole thing! Once you have done this, you are able to narrow down curriculum choices.

I also agree to encourage people not to buy right away, but try and find a way to see the curriculum first. I also tell people not to over-buy at first, but to add things in slowly.

Find what works for YOUR family...not what all the ladies at church use or what this or that person insists is best for everyone else.

When you find something that works, stay with it...don't let someone else convince you that there is always something better.

Don't "answer for yourself" to all who ask you...you only place yourself in a vulnerable position later. You know what you are doing and it's no one else's business.

Take advantage of online freebies ;)

1. read any and all homeschooling books, the Linda Dobson ones were great for me!

2. Don't worry about taking time off whenever, because of just about anything! I have had so many breaks in "schooling" because of this reason or that, that some months we had more time off than time on..but the kids are still way ahead of the game and love to learn!

3. fill your home with good books and fun stuff that teaches! anything from the "Schoolhouse Rock" dvd to boardgames to audio books...all that stuff will get your kids actually thinking learning is fun!

Minority opinion here. What advice would I offer new or potential home schoolers? "Don't over-think it." I wouldn't suggest reading every book on the subject, or even a handful of books. (I do always recommend David Guterson's Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense.) I wouldn't recommend trying to determine one's approach to education. I think if the children involved are young, it's pretty easy to get a handful of resources and just jump in.