Menu

Choosing a tote bag as an adjunct instructor . . .

I'm treating myself to a new bag. The one I've been carrying is really a top-loading laptop case (even though I don't carry my laptop to class) -- and it's pretty heavy after I toss in just my books and papers. It's also basic black. I guess I've gotten bored with it.

I dress professionally, suits and jackets and dresses, so I thought of getting a brightly colored bag. Maybe this in the multicolor plaid:

http://www.ebags.com/product/high-sierra/beatrice/148962

But then I thought that may seem unprofessional. Does it make a difference if I teach in the education department? Elementary teachers tend to have bright accessories, I think. Would it work for education instructors?

I could stick with my basic black, even if I pick a new lighter-weight bag . . . Maybe this: http://www.amazon.com/Port-Authority-Microfiber-Tote-Bag/dp/B000O2S78G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1294842199&sr=8-2

It has good reviews even though it looks a little casual . . . (Maybe having in monogrammed with my initials would formalize it? lol)

I've looked at leather bags (red or burgundy) on ebay because that would be new (to me) and professional, too. But it rains A LOT here and I'm not sure if leather is a wise choice. And wouldn't leather be heavier? College texts are heavy by themselves.

I just need something to quickly gather papers and books -- not a lot of organization since I only carry what I'll need for that individual course meeting. I could carry my little canvas library tote if it were waterproof.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and no one really cares how my bag looks. :tongue_smilie:

tia

Edited by BamaTanya

I agree, no one is really going to know what your bag looks like, except you. So go with what you LIKE!

FWIW, I like a plain, professional black purse/bag for some occasions, but a print and/or brightly colored purse/bag can be more personal, telling more about the person who uses it. When I was a social worker, it was important to "look the part," because we had to appear professional to families, other professionals, and in court. :tongue_smilie:I used to get the color I craved by organizing all my documentation in color-coded files and binders. :D

For an adjunct prof in an Ed Dept, I'd definitely go with COLOR and PATTERN. Ed students do tend to like bright colors, don't they? Think: Bulletin boards! :001_smile: I like "Forgotten Flowers" best. It's subtle enough with the gray/grey, but has enough color to not be too drab.

Good luck!

Oh, that's funny. I was thinking that you're the homeschool mom and you wanted to choose a cool new adjunt prof . . . the kids would turn to for assignments, et c.

My grad advisor and professor always used to say that you should dress for what you want or expect to be, not necessarily what you are. Then when it comes time for promotions, et c, you're a natural. They don't think, should she be full prof. They think, "What? She isnt' already? Let's get that done."

I think that's pretty good advice.

I think you should look as professional and put together as you can afford . . . including the bag. I think I'd recommend that you go with something like a basic black that will coordinate with most things and then for color, buy a few exciting scarves/accessories that you can get crazy with or tone down as needed.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and no one really cares how my bag looks. :tongue_smilie:

This.

I just use a big backpack. Math texts seem to continue to get larger and heavier through the years. I take stairs, so a rolling bag is overkill. I can wear the backpack over both shoulders to ease the strain (although leaning back can overbalance me just like a turtle).

I would agree with MomofOneFunOne - if you think there's a chance that you'd be attempting to go full time at some point and if you're around people who would be on a hiring committee. I teach nights and never see anyone.

Get something you'll enjoy!

(Meanwhile, my first WEEK of classes has been canceled due to weather. I am so cranky at my schedule being all messed up. I'm having trouble finding a :chillpill:. And I had my backpack all packed too! Since Sunday!)

I like to see bits of a prof's personality come through in clothing and accessories. It shows that they are an individual and have something unique about them.

I would maintain a professional appearance but unless you are considering something lude, I say go for it!

I've been an adjunct for 12 years now, and the bottom line is to get something that organizes/holds your stuff and doesn't look ratty. While making a good impression is always a good idea, in the long run they're going to be more concerned about whether you follow campus procedures and what the students say when they complain about you ;).

I use what would be considered a slim laptop case because it has several zippered compartments that I use for pencils, pens, my flash drive, a packet of kleenex, throat drops, my flash drive, and a small screwdriver for electronics. Only about half the time do I need to bring a textbook, so the size works for me.

Ditto GVA. When I was on a hiring committee way back when, student evals & publishing history & personality were looked at most closely. Most professors were hired from "the outside" but a couple of adjuncts were eventually given office space.

What does everyone else carry? Locally, no one carries tote bags. Ever. Everyone has a variation on this: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dapparel&field-keywords=leather+briefcase&x=0&y=0 They make waterproofing sprays for the leather. I have also occasionally seen a black canvas version of a briefcase.

There are a very few who carry a laptop/backpack. If they do, it's generally the swissgear brand, and they are generally poor grad students stuck on lecturing duty.

That said, if your personality is bright and colorful and your department is relaxed, go for it!