Menu

All-of-a-Kind Family... sequels?

As a kid, I liked all of them except Ella (the last one). Didn't really get into that one. Didn't *dis*like it either, just was a bit grown-up at that point.

:iagree: My children thoroughly enjoyed all of them except for Ella. The audio renditions were among their favorites of all time.

The audio renditions were among their favorites of all time.

:iagree: DD8, who doesn't normally like old-fashioned stories like those and who probably wouldn't have listened to me read them, LOVES those audiobooks. The reader has the perfect voice and slight accent and intonation.

As a kid, I liked all of them except Ella (the last one). Didn't really get into that one. Didn't *dis*like it either, just was a bit grown-up at that point.

I think the last one is the only one I haven't read. I adored these books so much as a child that I wrote the author. I wrote her again as a young adult, not realizing she had passed away. Her husband wrote me the most beautiful handwritten letter in return and even enclosed a personal photograph of her from a visit to Scotland. I keep the letter in our safe.

Thanks for the reminder to add them to our list.

I think the last one is the only one I haven't read. I adored these books so much as a child that I wrote the author. I wrote her again as a young adult, not realizing she had passed away. Her husband wrote me the most beautiful handwritten letter in return and even enclosed a personal photograph of her from a visit to Scotland. I keep the letter in our safe.

:crying: That is the sweetest thing!

Wow Paula! That's really amazing.

What a sweet story. Thank you for sharing it.

Boy, these books aren't cheap, though I did finally manage to find a copy of More All-of-a-Kind Family for $8 plus media mail shipping.

• 1 month later...

"I think the last one is the only one I haven't read. I adored these books so much as a child that I wrote the author. I wrote her again as a young adult, not realizing she had passed away. Her husband wrote me the most beautiful handwritten letter in return and even enclosed a personal photograph of her from a visit to Scotland. I keep the letter in our safe."

I love this story.

These were among my favorite childhood books. We had a wonderful librarian in one of the elementary schools I attended. She got me started on these books. Such great memories. Thanks for sharing!

I love these books. Love them.

That said, some of the disciplinary practices are pretty dated, and you need to make sure your daughter understands that her father wil NOT apprehend her in the dark and try to backhand her if she sneaks in after curfew. That bit really disturbed me when I read the books as a child.

That said, some of the disciplinary practices are pretty dated, and you need to make sure your daughter understands that her father wil NOT apprehend her in the dark and try to backhand her if she sneaks in after curfew. That bit really disturbed me when I read the books as a child.
The girls were a rather shocked by this. We talked about it afterwards though, because I didn't want to steal the thunder so to speak by giving away the detail beforehand. My youngest piped up with "well, he should have turned the lights on," but DD the Elder didn't think he would have been able to do it at all had be been able to see his daughter's face, that he needed the dark. It was a bit chilling.