Menu

furniture - sofa/loveseat or sectional?

Is there any reason I would prefer a sofa/loveseat over a sectional? We desperately need new furniture but we are not in our 'forever home' so we need something versatile. I thought that I wanted a sofa/loveseat, because it seemed more versatile somehow.....but maybe it's not? I've always had a sofa/loveseat combo with endtables. With a sectional, would I really miss having an endtable to put drinks, etc. on? When we went shopping, there was only one set that I was excited about and it was a sectional. However, we could get a sofa/loveseat that is perfectly fine and functional, etc. for about half the price. But we'll have this furniture for a loooooong time. (our bedroom set is the bedroom set my husband grew up with- our living room furniture is hand me downs from his parents, our coffee tables/end tables hand me downs from my grandparents, so on and so forth. We've only bought bookshelves/crib/changing table in the 5 years we've been married.) So this furniture will probably move from our living room to a family room and then possibly to one of our kids houses!

Basically, do you go with the set you LOVE that is twice the price of the one that is adequate?

If anyone wants to see, the set I'm excited about is this...

http://www.furniturerow.com/SofaMart/Tundra-Sofa-Group/Tundra-Sectional/prod40006/

with this chair.....

http://www.furniturerow.com/SofaMart/Big-Daddy-Chair-Group/Big-Daddy-Chair/prod240003/

If you've stuck with me this long thanks! I could use any and all advice!

Aesthetically and comfort-wise, I prefer a two sofa or sofa and love seat combo. Do you know anyone with a sectional? If you know them well, have your family sit/recline on the sectional they way you would at home. Are all of you comfortable?

I think sectionals are comfortable for two people to lounge on, but not practical for a group of people. There is no leg room in the bend of the L.

How long will it be before you move into your forever house? I ask because sectionals don't always fit well. If it didn't, would you shop for a home for your sectional to fit into or would you sell the sectional?

We once lived in a home in which a sectional would have been super. We don't now. I prefer a sofa and two chairs myself. One thing to consider is how many seats you are actually getting. People not related to one another don't sit right up against each other. So if you have guests with a 3 seat sofa and two chairs, you can always seat 4 even with no couples. Sofa and a love seat will seat 3 to 4 depending on whether there is a couple. The sectional you pictured looks like it would seat 2, at most 3. The corner seat is sort of a "throw away." It looks like a kid might sit there, but not like an adult could. It looks like there is one seat on one side of it and 2 seats on the other side of it. Just something to think about.

Edited by Laurie4b

I hate having a a sectional.

I do like to rearrange furniture and the sectional really limits my options.

Then of course, my two little monsters somehow pulled out the hinge part that keeps the sectional together (and lost the part!! :banghead:)so now the two sections are always gapping.

The set is five years old and I know dh won't discuss new furniture for at least another five years, and I cannot wait.

The set you linked is very pretty but I would never have furniture with loose pillows. They would NEVER stay arranged in my house and it would drive me crazy.

I like sectionals and many come with flip down tables (flip it down for drinks, etc. and flip it up when you need more sitting space.

Pegasus

This set is actually 4 pieces, so the longer arm can go on either side or it can be pulled apart into two chaise lounges. Or one really long couch. I have a hard time picturing it though. I really love the chair.....I did wonder if I could find a couch/loveseat that would go with the chair....it wouldn't be the same 'set' though.

I like sectionals, but they will not fit in all rooms. If you buy a sectional with pieces to fit one room, and you want to use it in another room later, those pieces in that layout may not work for you in that room. So if you really think that you will be moving later, you can always make sure that the house you buy will accommodate your sectional, but it is something you'll have to keep in mind....

We bought a house and as part of the deal the previous owner left her sectional. Ours is similar to the one in the picture except we have a chaise lounge on one end. We love the space it gives. We love that all 4 of us can stretch out in different directs yet still touch each other or get cozy in the corner together. I would seriously consider having a sectional again if I knew I wasn't moving. However, I hate, hate, hate all of those cushions. They are never in the right place. They are ackward to sit in front of. The kids want to throw them in the floor and just scoot all the way back because they don't like the pillows. Even though it is in 4 pieces, because the pillows are what they are, the sections are not very usable as individual parts separated because the pillows don't look right, fall off....

We also miss having an end table but in the end it reduces clutter. Any drinks have to be kept at the dining table anyway per our house rules. The previous owner had a large square coffee table that she sat in front of the sectional and that worked very well. We don't have that and with little kids, I probably won't get one. I like having the floor space for playing right now. If I knew we were moving again, I would not buy a sectional. They are too room specific IMO.

It's beautiful! Great reviews too - even going back to 2007 purchase!

Knowing that you can move it to a family room when you take it to another house, I don't think whether it fits another house will be a great concern. The pieces are versatile. I also like that it's solid colors - not a pattern, so that should work well for years.

Definitely pay more for something you really like and is good quality than settling for something you don't really like. If the quality isn't good, you'll be replacing it in a few years and after having spent the same amount, you still won't have what you really want. kwim?

Our home's rooms are too small scale to accomodate a sectional, so my preference is sofas. I feel they also give you more flexibility in arranging and rearranging a room (something I like to do every so often!).

I would add one more comment about what you've selected, something you may not have thought about, but ... all those loose back cushions! We have one couch that has back cushions like that (given to us by my parents) and I HATE it. With four kids, those cushions NEVER stay in place. They get thrown on the floor to make forts and mountains, or just to lay on while watching a movie, and they are never put back properly. I feel like I spend my life adjusting cushions. I cannot wait to replace that couch and I will definitely be getting one with attached rear cushioning.

I hate sectionals. The pieces always slide apart, get crooked, pillows fall off and are just generally a pain. I sofa and loveseat has fit in every room I have every had. It is like rooms are designed for them. You can always add a pair of coordinating chairs to them as well if you have more room and if you can get them for half the price well that is great. My living room currently has room for another sofa which I would like to get but then I would have to find another space for the piano. We have a very large family and it is hard to seat them all when they are here so I could use the other space and I am thinking of getting a very large ottoman instead of a coffee table so people can sit there too. Then I can just put a wooden tray to hold drink and snacks as needed. I guess it depends on the rest of your furninshing and where you want to put it. If you had a family room, I think a secional might be ok but I don't know about a formal living room if you have guests. I love the colors though but I think you could find that in a couch and loveseat.

We were looking into a sectional for our family room. The designer that we were working with pointed out some issues that we might have with a sectional. I'm glad she did because they were things that I had not thought about.

1 - Some sectionals are linked together and some are not. If you purchase one that merely slides together then be aware that you may be forever putting them back in place. Especially, if you have children.

2 - Depending on where you placing your sectional, lighting and tables could be an issue. In our house, the kitchen is open to the family room. The TV is mounted above the fireplace and you can see it from the kitchen. A sofa table would have been the best option behind the smaller part of the sectional but that was the part that would be in view from the kitchen, thus potentially blocking the view of the TV and certainly the visual flow from the rooms. It also would have been an area that could be prone to having the lamps knocked off the tables by children. Having an end table on each end was doable but not desirable due to a built in bookcase and a walkway.

3 - Generally, no matter the size of the couch no more than three people will sit on it. And two is the number that is most comfortable. I never thought about that but it's true for me. I wouldn't necessarily get more seating with the sectional than I would with a couch and/or loveseat.

Those were things she pointed out that I wouldn't have thought of. We ended up getting a couch and a love seat for that side of the room. Don't know if that helps but there it is!

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I do NOT think that furniture is going to last you as long as you think/hope it will. I have sat in that Big Daddy chair and yes, it was SO comfortable. And I *love* the choices you have posted links for. But with such a light color, that's going to be an issue. How many kids do you have? How old are they?

Also, I'm on my 4th living room set in my 15 years of marriage. The first was a very, very expensive and high quality leather sectional. It was absolutely gorgeous. But I was young and inexperienced and didn't realize that off white leather won't stay off white when the body's oils get on it. And nowadays the jeans they sell bleed easily onto EVERYTHING. If anyone ever sat on the furniture you showed in those types of jeans, you would be heart broken. It looks like the material is microfiber, which is my FAVORITE, even above leather. But still, light cushions are going to be an issue. If you're looking to keep things longer and want to be able to drink, I definitely would stay away from a light color.

We went through THREE leather sets (the second two weren't as high quality as the first, and the two prettiest couches I'd ever seen proved to be the cheapest quality, even though we paid top dollar!) I've really learned so much about furniture. When we bought our current piece (microfiber sectional) we were told not to expect more than 5 years out of ANY piece of furniture. That proved true for the recliners we bought at the same time as the couch, but this sectional is the best couch I've ever had! The microfiber cleans easily and it still looks brand new, SEVEN years later. This is the longest we've ever had a couch.

One thing I will tell you, though, is that if you're looking to move anytime in the next few years, I'd buy second hand set that still looked new to tie you over until you get into your forever home. There's a very good chance that no matter what you choose now, it just won't work in your new home. I personally LOVE a sectional because we are limited with how we can redecorate due to window placement, and a sectional fits PERFECTLY on two walls and looks better there than a couch/loveseat would. We also have three recliners in the room and a large coffee table that all people at the sectional can easily use.

This is so depressing me. I really want that sectional. But I also don't want to waste $1000. It comes in a dark chocolate color too. My mom told me I didn't want the loose back pillows. I was hoping she was wrong- but it looks like mom always does know best.

We had a nice green leather couch once....our dog from H*ll ate it. It was probably the 'nicest' couch- but it didn't last as long as the others.

We seem to own everything forever. I bought a two-door car the summer I graduated from college. Before I'd met my dh. I never imagined I'd still have it when I had a child.....2 kids later and I still have the car. Well, I guess it could be argued that it's dh's car since he's usually the one driving it. It wasn't bought with car seats in mind!

I know lots and LOTS of people who have had their couches longer than 5 years. Lots.

We're definitely moving- probably in about a year.....we moved into a rental when we were trying to sell our house in another state.....finally sold and we'll be looking to buy in the not too distant future. We were planning on waiting until we bought a house.....but I have lots of Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I want new furniture!

We got a sectional that is supposed to lock together, but the pieces for doing that are not aligned properly so we can't get it to lock to save our lives. However, it is on a pretty thick carpet in our basement and we have not had problems with it sliding around. If the pieces are very heavy, this might not be a huge problem, even if they don't lock together.

(I would have insisted on the pieces being corrected, but it was such a hassle to get them into our basement, and we had to remove a door frame to get the last piece down there, so by the time we got it all together we were not inclined to attempt to haul it all out again....)

We're definitely moving- probably in about a year.....we moved into a rental when we were trying to sell our house in another state.....finally sold and we'll be looking to buy in the not too distant future. We were planning on waiting until we bought a house.....but I have lots of Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I want new furniture!

Honestly, if I were moving that soon, I'd put the money in a separate untouchable savings account, and buy the furniture after the house. That way, you'll know for certain that the new furniture will work well in the new house.

This is so depressing me. I really want that sectional. But I also don't want to waste $1000. It comes in a dark chocolate color too. My mom told me I didn't want the loose back pillows. I was hoping she was wrong- but it looks like mom always does know best.

We had a nice green leather couch once....our dog from H*ll ate it. It was probably the 'nicest' couch- but it didn't last as long as the others.

We seem to own everything forever. I bought a two-door car the summer I graduated from college. Before I'd met my dh. I never imagined I'd still have it when I had a child.....2 kids later and I still have the car. Well' date=' I guess it could be argued that it's dh's car since he's usually the one driving it. It wasn't bought with car seats in mind!

I know lots and LOTS of people who have had their couches longer than 5 years. Lots.

We're definitely moving- probably in about a year.....we moved into a rental when we were trying to sell our house in another state.....finally sold and we'll be looking to buy in the not too distant future. We were planning on waiting until we bought a house.....but I have lots of Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I want new furniture![/quote']

you need to understand that furniture, and everything else, was made better years ago. A couch that costs $1000 can't be expected to last long. That's not a lot of money for a sectional.

I just want to add that my sectional has never once separated. My pieces truly lock in together and my sectional still looks new. In fact, this is my second sectional and my other never separated either.

Really, you'll be so thankful you waited if you just put that money in the bank and designate it for furniture for the new house. Don't you want to buy just the right pieces to fit perfectly in your forever home?:001_smile:

Our home's rooms are too small scale to accomodate a sectional, so my preference is sofas. I feel they also give you more flexibility in arranging and rearranging a room (something I like to do every so often!).

I would add one more comment about what you've selected, something you may not have thought about, but ... all those loose back cushions! We have one couch that has back cushions like that (given to us by my parents) and I HATE it. With four kids, those cushions NEVER stay in place. They get thrown on the floor to make forts and mountains, or just to lay on while watching a movie, and they are never put back properly. I feel like I spend my life adjusting cushions. I cannot wait to replace that couch and I will definitely be getting one with attached rear cushioning.

:iagree:

Loose cushions are the kiss of death. I've been there and done that and it wasn't pretty. :glare: I love the color and style, but it's just not worth it.

With the new information that you'll probably be moving rather soon, I'd say put the money aside for new furniture for your new house, and spend a little bit on some things that perk up the room and will work in any house. Besides, I didn't know that your mother told you not to get this sectional!!!! :lol: Hate to admit it, but they are always right. :001_smile: