Menu

How is LCC working for you?

mo2

I follow a slightly modified version of LCC.

I have an only and school year round. LCC alone only takes us 8 or so months.

DS is very interested in geography and science, so I do add in quite a bit of those subjects to fill out our year.

I believe Dr. Campbell says that the beauty of LCC is that it allows free time for the child to explore their own interests, so I think my modifications keep with his original intent.

And I love CM/AO 'subjects,' like poetry, hymn study, nature study and handicrafts, so we spend one afternoon a week doing those. Again, I think those fit in nicely with LCC since they help the child gain an appreciation for the fine arts and humanities.

Well DS8 and I are doing Latin, and I am trying to keep our subjects streamlined. It's been a rough year though and the only thing that's kept this year going is my files. We've been doing skill subjects only. Right now I'm going through the rest of the year, re-aligning since (I hope) life is re-stablizing. I'll be reading LCC again.

I too enjoy the CM subjects of poetry, hymns, artists, etc. Next week when we restart more subjects I'm going to add these to our circle time. I also decided I needed to combine history, so we are doing a 6 year rotation similar to AO and SCM, with 1 year for Greek and 1 for Roman history.

DS is very interested in geography and science, so I do add in quite a bit of those subjects to fill out our year.

Not trying to hijack the thread (and I don't even know how old your ds is!), but I'm wondering if you have any geography suggestions? My ds is clueless about geography, and I'd love to hear what you've used with a kid that likes the subject! :)

Guest RecumbentHeart

I've found that the heart of LCC goes along harmoniously with CM. I have gone from LCC for K to a CM curriculum (LBC) but LCC is my guide for the 3Rs at this stage and the more I've gotten wrapped up in CM the more I lose my original concern that the plan in LCC wouldn't provide enough grammar instruction. That said, I may even postpone starting CW until 7th grade and start with Older Beginners since I'll have that already, having gone through it myself. Oh, and I prefer the Veritas Press schedule and recommendations for Latin. Ok, all that makes it sound like I've abandoned LCC but LCC is still one of my core homeschooling books that stays close at hand and is still my guiding arrow. I wish I could get it on Kindle .. I would pay for it all over again if I could.

I really love LCC ;) It's a great book; I own both editions and consider it a "must have." Can you get pdfs on your kindle? You can cut the binding off... scan it and pdf it.... My dad has this scanner you can just stick the ream of papers to be pdf'd and then... do whatever with them.... Perhaps you could do something like that :)

I really like a mixture of The Well Trained Mind, Teaching the Trivium, Latin Centered Curriculum..... and Carry on Mr Bowditch :)

I do a bit of LCC, a bit of "this and that" and some Classical Conversations. As my son gets older, the core of his curriculum.... is the LCC recommendations. He's just going to be starting on Hebrew, as soon as we get our curriculum. My husband goes through all the readings of Myths.... and such at night... He listens to SOTW on cd... and Jim Weiss' other cds....

:)

Guest RecumbentHeart

Yes, I can read PDFs on my Kindle. I had wanted to check out the first edition but was not able to find it so I am seriously thinking of buying the ebook from MP (thank-you for mentioning this, Tress!). As much as I would like to have the 2nd edition on my Kindle, the idea of cutting it up to scan it makes me twitch. lol

We follow LCC, in spirit more than the direct recommendations. We keep Latin, Writing, and Math at our core and limits daily subjects. We've deviated to add in WTM writing with WWE as the LCC recs weren't working for my reluctant writer.

We expanded a few of the non-core items to include Asian History this year and Japanese (my son's request).

I have both the 1st and 2nd editions. I re-read them at least once a year and my 2nd edition has tape to hold it together. I like the intent of the first edition, but the 2nd edition has more practical suggestions that work for us as we started LCC in 5th grade coming from a more traditional/eclectic approach.

I have both the 1st and 2nd editions. I re-read them at least once a year and my 2nd edition has tape to hold it together. I like the intent of the first edition, but the 2nd edition has more practical suggestions that work for us as we started LCC in 5th grade coming from a more traditional/eclectic approach.

So do you think the 2nd ed is worth buying if I already have the 1st? I really, really like the philosophy but we have deviated quite a bit because I have a struggling reader, so we haven't yet started Latin, and we're behind in writing.

We moved from LCC to AO and are both much happier :) I like the classical structure of AO (Latin, Plutarch's Lives, Greek Mythology almost every year, etc.), and also the "Best of the West" approach (Shakespeare, Folksongs, Great Literature, Picture Study, etc.) I noticed that I kept tweaking LCC until it resembled AO. So, we went with AO and I tweak *it* (just a WEE bit ;) ) with some good old TWTM thrown in. :)

(Mind you, we're only in 2nd... :lol: )

We moved from LCC to AO and are both much happier :) I like the classical structure of AO (Latin, Plutarch's Lives, Greek Mythology almost every year, etc.), and also the "Best of the West" approach (Shakespeare, Folksongs, Great Literature, Picture Study, etc.) I noticed that I kept tweaking LCC until it resembled AO. So, we went with AO and I tweak *it* (just a WEE bit ;) ) with some good old TWTM thrown in. :)

(Mind you, we're only in 2nd... :lol: )

I like the *idea* of AO. I really do. But I had a hard time secularizing it, and I have a struggling reader, which means EVERYTHING had to be read aloud. It required too much tweaking, I guess. ;)

I like the *idea* of AO. I really do. But I had a hard time secularizing it, and I have a struggling reader, which means EVERYTHING had to be read aloud. It required too much tweaking, I guess. ;)

There's always Librivox! :D

There's a list floating around for secular AO users, too.

I make note of this, just for the lurkers out there who may be considering AO with similar concerns.

FWIW, I've made quite a few substitutions myself. Then again, I'm a die-hard tweaker. :lol:

There's always Librivox! :D

There's a list floating around for secular AO users, too.

I make note of this, just for the lurkers out there who may be considering AO with similar concerns.

FWIW, I've made quite a few substitutions myself. Then again, I'm a die-hard tweaker. :lol:

Can you point me to the list? I don't want to have to join the yahoo group or anything though. I hate those for some reason. :001_smile:

LCC is going to be less reading than AO (I'm still trying to mesh - I really want the simplicity of LCC). My DS8 is a struggling reader and we are using GSWL, which is pretty light. We usually do part of it orally, but not all. I find it helps him to write the words down - he learns them. And Latin slowed him down / made him think. He has to add in "the" or "a". He needs to put the adverbs in the right locations. Just like SWR taught him to listen for all the sounds in a word.

*Sigh* Anyway, I'm still trying to tweak AO's lists to LCC's simplicity. FWIW, I'm reading AO 2 books to all the kids aloud, I decided since AO 1-3 are out loud, I'd keep the kids together. When they become more independent, I'll start them on AO 4. I've already tweaked out the history, what's a little more tweaking? Since LCC recommends an hour of reading aloud, I might just choose 1 book at a time per LCC subject, then put the rest on a list for reading time. LOL.

Anyway, I'm enjoying hearing how others are using LCC with CM.

Amy

I love LCC and try to follow it, at least in spirit. Lately I feel like we are floundering. We finished the Lit recommendations for our year; we are using Lively Latin so we are doing Roman History with that. I wonder if it is "enough". He listens to SOTW though on cd...and loves horrible histories (does that count :lol:) I do not like the geography recommendations in LCC- tried it last year and ick! This year we memorized the location of the 50 states. I am stuck on geography. Science is covered. We are not religious so the Bible Study is not necessary. I had thought we would do character units or something in place of that.....we did in the beginning of the year. Maybe we could try some more of that.

I thought we might do a little US History, just an overview or something?

I will check out AO; maybe that will give us some focus. I wil have to check around the site; I thought it was basically a booklist :tongue_smilie:

I really struggle with this, because I come from a CM beginning, and have moved to LCC. I get conflicted because CM encourages a wide variety of subjects, while LCC encourages a few subjects thoroughly. I have sort of resolved this by using the LCC outline as my "hafta do" list--it is not a day of school until we have done math, Latin and writing. I follow the literature lists, and have added "classical studies" (The Famous Men of ...series) to my plans. But geography, history and science, I have made more interest led, more literature based, and more optional. Our focus is strongly LCC, putting time/emphasis/rigor on the areas it does.

I can't say how much comfort I have gotten from the LCC concept of science as basically nautre study until 8th grade or so. Anything we do in science is just gravy, but if I don't get to it today, well, no harm done. (we have always done lots of nature study as a family hobby, so we follow the WTM rotation very loosely, doing lots of science kits and notebooks) I use a much more CM approach to geography--the LCC rec's were...er...less than thrilling. And as for history, as much as I wanted to follow the LCC progression, we really liked SOTW and were coming up on vol. 2--our favorite era of history. I simply couldn't face skipping it. So basically, I created my own rotation for the next few years, combining WTM and LCC.