Menu

If your children listen to audiobooks...

... do they pick up the readers' accents? My oldest daughter does this, and it's so funny.

If she listens to Mary Poppins, read in a crisp, British accent, she emerges from her room saying, "Spit-spot. Pip-pip. Cheerio." She sounds so, so... BRITISH! :001_huh:

If she listens to Holly Hunter's rousing rendition of The Three Little Pigs, she talks with a nasal drawl and says things like "ripe and red and better than you said" -- referring to an apple. :lol:

If she listens to Cherry Jones reading Little House on the Prairie, she calls us "Ma" and "Pa" -- and sounds a little "country-fied." :D

She does this with almost every audiobook -- picks up the accent, along with the story. Do your kids do this?

Harry potter and the Deathly Hollows. 17 cd's. enough said. really enough.

Lara

Yep, my boys' favorite audiobook is Harry Potter. They now use "post" and "straight away." It never fails to crack me up when I send them to the mailbox to get the mail and they come back with the "post." :lol:

Yes, he always quotes the portions with the narrator's accent. I love hearing him recite the Peter Dennis Winnie the Pooh stories -- so many voices with such a great accent.

Nobody does Pooh like Peter Dennis. We love this! I love hearing her recite "Busy."

Round about and round about and round about I GO!

All round the table, the table in the nursery,

Round about and round about and round about I GO!

... do they pick up the readers' accents? My oldest daughter does this, and it's so funny.

If she listens to Mary Poppins, read in a crisp, British accent, she emerges from her room saying, "Spit-spot. Pip-pip. Cheerio." She sounds so, so... BRITISH! :001_huh:

If she listens to Holly Hunter's rousing rendition of The Three Little Pigs, she talks with a nasal drawl and says things like "ripe and red and better than you said" -- referring to an apple. :lol:

If she listens to Cherry Jones reading Little House on the Prairie, she calls us "Ma" and "Pa" -- and sounds a little "country-fied." :D

She does this with almost every audiobook -- picks up the accent, along with the story. Do your kids do this?

Yes! I love it! Sometime we'll be listening together and if a pronunciation appeals to her, she'll say it. I asked her about it once and she said, "just seeing how it feels on the tongue."