Menu

Benefits and Cons of living in snow country:

I am a California (beach) girl here. So we just moved to the snowy mountains and here are my observations about living in deep snow:

It is *OK* to accidentally leave milk in the car overnight. Although, in the morning it will be a block of ice milk.

It is *NOT* enough to scrape and de-ice the windows of you car. Once you start diving, that 6 inch thick slab of snow and ice will SLIDE off your roof and block your front windshield the first time you stop.

The children *NEED* snow pants - this is not an option - it is a survival necessity!

UGG is yoru friend!!

Hundreds of pounds of snow slabs will and do slide off the roof of your house!

You can *NOT* drive over the mound of snow that slip off your house roof - you will get stuck on it, be late for your appointment and give the neighbors something funny to talk about.

There is a SLID CONTROL icon on the dash of your car - it might as well stay permanently on!

A GPS could save your life - it is a must have.

GPS's sometimes take you down dirt paths and dead end - under construction - mountainous passes.

Snow tires ... a must!

Well that was fun! I wish people would stop staring at me when I wear my FLIP-FLOPS though! And why has nobody here heard of ZORI'S???

:001_huh:

Edited by 5KidzRUs

The benefits ??? SKIING!

And if you find an unexploded mortar shell from avalanche control, DO NOT take it home with you as a "souvenir" as one fellow near here did. They get real cranky if they have to call the bomb squad from 3 hours away...

LOL! That reminds me of when we were living in Germany in old Nazi officer housing - My then 6 year old son was at the playground and dug up an old WWII hand grenade and brought it to me!

Being a FL beach girl to moving to the mountains girl myself, and having just had our first snow here, I totally agree with everything you said!

It was amazing to be able to start my Christmas baking a week early, bake one item a day, let my children have a few goodies as a sample and put the rest in the freeeeezing garage until Christmas. Out of site, out of mind!

I am a California (beach) girl here. So we just moved to the snowy mountains and here are my observations about living in deep snow:

It is *OK* to accidentally leave milk in the car overnight. Although, in the morning it will be a block of ice milk.

It is *NOT* enough to scrape and de-ice the windows of you car. Once you start diving, that 6 inch thick slab of snow and ice will SLIDE off your roof and block your front windshield the first time you stop.

The children *NEED* snow pants - this is not an option - it is a survival necessity!

UGG is yoru friend!!

Hundreds of pounds of snow slabs will and do slide off the roof of your house!

You can *NOT* drive over the mound of snow that slip off your house roof - you will get stuck on it, be late for your appointment and give the neighbors something funny to talk about.

There is a SLID CONTROL icon on the dash of your car - it might as well stay permanently on!

A GPS could save your life - it is a must have.

GPS's sometimes take you down dirt paths and dead end - under construction - mountainous passes.

Snow tires ... a must!

Well that was fun! I wish people would stop staring at me when I wear my FLIP-FLOPS though! And why has nobody here heard of ZORI'S???

:001_huh:

I feel for ya, sistah. Never hope to live in snow, ever. And I grew up wearing zories.

LOL A native South Floridian here as well. I'm 39 and never seen snow in my life. I don't know what I would do with myself if I were ever in it. I only wear flip flops to do yard work or go to the beach but I wear my chancletas everywhere. Feet need air conditioning. Seriously. they do. ;) :D

LOL! That is a word I have not heard in a long time - we called our flip-flops zories and chanclas!

:) Yep, chanclas, chancletas the same thing. Any kind of sandal type shoe, but mostly the ones that have chunky heels although it includes flip flops too. :) I always thought that was a Cuban word. That's cool that you had it out in Cali too. :)

Will have to mentally file this away.... My dh loves, loves, loves cold weather & wants us to move somewhere colder. I've lived quite a few places, mostly warm or temperate, though.

Need to know this info in case we ever move to MN or Canada (which dh keeps dreaming about).... ;)

:) Yep, chanclas, chancletas the same thing. Any kind of sandal type shoe, but mostly the ones that have chunky heels although it includes flip flops too. :) I always thought that was a Cuban word. That's cool that you had it out in Cali too. :)

In Spain chanclas and chancletas just mean any kind of flip flop but not sandals, those are sandalias!