Menu

has anyone used..First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, Levels 1 + 2

skissugar

Many of us here have. :)

I used it. It is a very gentle approach to introducing language arts to 1st and 2nd graders.

With my last son (1st grade this year), we switched to Growing With Grammar. He is more of a work bookish type of kid. He enjoys writing things out and GWG is perfect for this.

I still have my FLL and may introduce topic from it with my son, but so far this year I haven't done that. We do copy work, poems, pictures studies from other places, so I fill adding FLL would be extra busy work for us.

Any specific questions?

I'm on my third time around with this and we like it. It's straightforward, easy to use, and doesn't take much time. It is scripted but you don't have to follow the script word for word. Just pre-read it the day before so you know what the lesson is about and you can present it your own way. I pretty much stuck to the script the first two times but I'm finding that I can do it now on my own this time.

God Bless,

Anna

I am using it now with DS6. He enjoys it very much and looks forward to it (most days). He loves the narrations and the poem memorization exercises. I think the repetition serves him very well.

When I tried it with DS9 at age 6, he hated it. Way too repetitive for his taste. Although I skipped A LOT he much preferred GWG, and this from a kid who avoids any form of writing.

If you pick FFL, rest assured that it will get the job done. The curriculum itself is very solid. It will just depend on your child if this is the kind of currc for him/her.

Good Luck,

We've used it and it is a great program, we've actually switched over to Language Lessons for the Very Young by Queens Homeschool to cover more copywork and picture study though. I still have FLL on my shelves and will decide which program to use for our youngers after a year with Queen's.

Blessings,

Caryn

My ds, 7, is finishing the second grade part. It's a good fit for him since he learns will auditorily. It was just coming out when my 10 yo was that age, but if we'd had it then it wouldn't have worked for her as well because she's very visual-spatial. It has more repetition than ds needs sometimes, but he still enjoys it.

I've used this with two of my boys right now. It is really great for boys who dislike workbooks/writing. I feel they grasp the concepts without all the writing of other programs. Also, I ease them into writing by gradually asking more from them over time.

I have used many, many language programs through the years, and this is my favorite by FAR.

This is an incredibly flexible book that has worked well in our house.

We are currently using it with DD#1. She worked through the 1st half last year and will finish the 2nd half by June or July. We really lie it and it has gone well for us. I probably will not use FLL with DD#2 because she sat in on it with DD#1 and knows almost all of the definitions and poems. For her I will likely start with R&S-2. Overall I really like FLL and think it's a good intro to grammar.

We are using it right now. We will be on Lessons 79-82 this week. My DS age 5.5 really likes it. His retention of the material is very high. It works great for accelerated kids who are ready for more content but not a lot of writing. We usually just snuggle on the couch for our lessons. If I feel there is too much repetition with a concept I know he has mastered already I just condense or skip sections.

DD (7) loved it. We actually did a lesson a day (sometimes two) and finished the whole book- levels one and two- in about 7 months. We're now using level three. Keep in mind that there is a lot of memorization in this series, and it works best for children who thrive on that sort of thing. DD could be heard in the shower chanting, "I, me, my, mine, you your, yours..." or her latest poem!

-Robin