Menu

Desperately need rotation diet menu help!

The doctor recently put my dd on a 4 day rotation diet with a very limited menu of foods that she can eat on each day (after testing positive for food sensitivities to 51 foods plus severe candida problem—see background at bottom of post for details, if interested). We are just starting our 3rd cycle through the diet, and I could really, really use some help from you ladies in figuring out some menu alternatives! There’s no limit to the amount of the item she can have on that day (except for mango—which is one of 2 fruits the doctor allowed in moderation—not normally allowed at all due to candida).

I’ll post day 1 allowable foods for those who are up for a challenge!

Starch: Oat, Tapioca

Fruit/Vegetables: celery, green peppers, lettuce, parsley, tomato, mango

Protein: codfish, snapper, salmon, veal and lamb

Misc.: cashew (including cashew butter), sunflower (seeds & oil), cow’s milk, flaxseed, cocoa, stevia

It doesn’t look too bad on the surface, but I am having a real problem getting 3 meals per day out of this stuff! I’ve actually moved salmon in from another day after my oat bran crusted veal cutlet disaster (the crust completely fell off)! So far the successes on this day have been oatmeal for breakfast and snapper (at $19 per lb.:eek:) with a tomato/pepper sauce.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

A little background: My dd (15) has been suffering from asthma/chemical sensitivity for the last couple of years. She’s been shuffled from Dr. to Dr. since age 10 trying to get a diagnosis and solution to her health problems. It has seriously impacted her life (imagine being a teenager and not being able to be in close proximity to perfumes, scented products, exhaust or smoke of any type without going into an immediate coughing spasm, throat tightening, asthma attack). Up until two years ago, she was a competitive swimmer (6 days per week, 6,000+ yards per day), but her breathing deteriorated to the point that she had to give it up. We also did an interstate move from NJ to NC in order to try to get her to a healthier environment where she could start to rebuild her life(we even bought an all electric house). Not being able to swim was devastating for her. She’s definitely healthier here and has made some great homeschool friends and even found a new competitive sport (rowing!) to enjoy where she doesn’t have to deal with the pool chemicals. She still isn’t near healthy enough to live away at college in two years, so we decided to do one more round of doctors. We recently took her to a Dr. about 45 minutes away who specializes in the zebra-type health problems and who has been successful in treating people with chemical sensitivity, and he had her take an ALCAT food sensivity test (previous scratch and rast testing was negative for all allergies). Anyway, she tested positive for sensitivity to 51 foods and a severe candida problem! She’s definitely willing to do anything it takes to regain her health and have a “normal’ life, so she is completely on board with this diet program.

Edited by nancy in nj

Misc.: cashew (including cashew butter), sunflower (seeds & oil), cow’s milk, flaxseed, cocoa, stevia

Wow...a challenge, to be sure! Let's see...

*Oat can be ground into flour, mixed with ground seeds for a coating. Soak meat in milk and ground flax (instead of egg) and then coat with flour before frying in oil.

*Make smoothies from either cow's milk or cashew milk, mango or cocoa, and stevia

*Veal cubed plus veggies and seeds for stir fry

*Make sunflower or flax crackers and top with cashew butter (you can find lovely recipes for crackers at vegan sites)

*Fish can be baked and pureed with some veggies and used as a dip for celery and pepper strips

:001_huh: No more ideas!

Breakfast - oatmeal with mango in it, and cow's milk, hot chocolate with cow's milk, stevia and cocoa

Lunch - salad with lettuce, tomatoes, celery, green peppers and some leftover lamb, veal or fish. Would a oil/vinegar dressing be allowed?

Dinner - lamb or veal burger with ground oats and flaxseed in it for bulk, tomatoes, celery sticks with sunflower butter on them

Tapioca pudding made from tapioca, milk, and mango or tapioca, milk, and stevia. Use as breakfast, a snack, or a dessert.

Codfish balls, substituting cooked oatmeal for potato.

Fish croquettes

Grind fish, veal, or lamb to make into burgers or meatballs. Variations: mix combinations of chopped celery, green pepper, parsley, tomato, and ground flaxseed into ground protein; stir fry peppers and tomatoes and serve as a sauce; serve cold with lettuce, sunflower seeds, and chopped vegetables in a salad, using sunflower oil or thinned cashew butter as a dressing.

Oatcakes - serve as side to meal or with cashew butter for a snack

You can make oat flour pancakes with sunflower oil. It is good with sun butter on top. You can make a plain pancake with just water and flour. I added baking soda to mine if that is allowed.

Here is my current rotation diet, if it makes you feel better! I have just mostly gotten used to boring food. When I had more foods I could eat, I used to be able to make a few things and be more creative, but no more. Now, I just mostly cook up the things plain and muck it on down.

1. Buffalo, lettuce, sweet potato, coconut oil

2. Pheasant or quail, squash, cucumbers, occasionally melon, palm oil

3. Taro root (Asian markets), collard greens, olive oil, mango

4. Wheat, sheep cheese, tomatoes, coconut oil, basil--a yummy food day!

5. Squab, millet grain, lettuce, palm oil

6. Chicken, rice, a bit of soy sauce, olive oil, bananas--also yummy, I can make a nice coating for the chicken with organic rice cereal and make a banana shake from rice milk and frozen cut up bananas.

I can also have enjoy life chocolate chips right now, at times I have become allergic to them and that is very sad. So far, I have been able to add them back after a 4 to 6 month break each time I've gotten allergic to them.

I hope to be able to gain back oats and elk, that was a good food day, too. I have to wait a few more months, though.

Edited by ElizabethB

The doctor recently put my dd on a 4 day rotation diet with a very limited menu of foods that she can eat on each day (after testing positive for food sensitivities to 51 foods plus severe candida problem—see background at bottom of post for details, if interested). We are just starting our 3rd cycle through the diet, and I could really, really use some help from you ladies in figuring out some menu alternatives! There’s no limit to the amount of the item she can have on that day (except for mango—which is one of 2 fruits the doctor allowed in moderation—not normally allowed at all due to candida).

It doesn’t look too bad on the surface, but I am having a real problem getting 3 meals per day out of this stuff! I’ve actually moved salmon in from another day after my oat bran crusted veal cutlet disaster (the crust completely fell off)! So far the successes on this day have been oatmeal for breakfast and snapper (at $19 per lb.:eek:) with a tomato/pepper sauce.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

A little background: My dd (15) has been suffering from asthma/chemical sensitivity for the last couple of years. She’s been shuffled from Dr. to Dr. since age 10 trying to get a diagnosis and solution to her health problems. It has seriously impacted her life (imagine being a teenager and not being able to be in close proximity to perfumes, scented products, exhaust or smoke of any type without going into an immediate coughing spasm, throat tightening, asthma attack). Up until two years ago, she was a competitive swimmer (6 days per week, 6,000+ yards per day), but her breathing deteriorated to the point that she had to give it up. We also did an interstate move from NJ to NC in order to try to get her to a healthier environment where she could start to rebuild her life(we even bought an all electric house). Not being able to swim was devastating for her. She’s definitely healthier here and has made some great homeschool friends and even found a new competitive sport (rowing!) to enjoy where she doesn’t have to deal with the pool chemicals. She still isn’t near healthy enough to live away at college in two years, so we decided to do one more round of doctors. We recently took her to a Dr. about 45 minutes away who specializes in the zebra-type health problems and who has been successful in treating people with chemical sensitivity, and he had her take an ALCAT food sensivity test (previous scratch and rast testing was negative for all allergies). Anyway, she tested positive for sensitivity to 51 foods and a severe candida problem! She’s definitely willing to do anything it takes to regain her health and have a “normal’ life, so she is completely on board with this diet program.

Does "cow's milk" include ALL dairy? If so, you can add cheese, butter, yogurt, sour cream, etc., which will help. If she can't, you may have to just load her up with LOTS of the veggies and large portions of protein.

In terms of candida, google "biofilm protocol" and see if the process may be helpful to your daughter.

HIH,

Lisa

mom to a gluten-, casein-, artificial color- and preservative-free kid. ;-)

You can cook up cutlets nicely in oat flour. Or, as previously suggested, ground lamb or veal with oats as a meatball. Add some oil to keep the meatballs moist or, if cheese is allowed, that is great in meatballs, cream cheese or another soft cheese is best but any cheese will work chopped in small pieces.

You could also lightly fry all the veggies and some meat and wrap in up in an oat flour pancake/tortilla thing. It would be even better with cheese if allowed, or maybe with a sauce made from milk and oat flour.

The codfish might also be good fried up in an oat flour pancake, although I don't like fish (it's one thing I don't mind being allergic to!)

Edited by ElizabethB

I do simple meal plans very similar to Jean's suggestions here.

But I wanted to mention that I think of the rotation as 24 hour periods rather than date type days. So some of our foods on the schedule run afternoon snack of day 1 through lunch of day 2 for example.

As long as you carry all related foods in a set group like that it can add more variety to a day at least mentally. Example: my son had chicken group (meat, eggs) on his diet at lunch yesterday so that we use them at breakfast today. Oats started today at dinner and will carry through lunch tomorrow. It just works better here for some reason. Also, it helped to let go of the idea of traditional breakfast foods. One rotation day my son has guacamole and teff crackers as part of his breakfast. Oh, and any flour type seems to make decent crackers and they are generally a cinch to make.

Edited by sbgrace

The

This is not hugely helpful, as everything would require substitutions from my original recipes, but here are some things that come to mind...

I make a sauce for fish that has tomato and mango as it's base (garlic, chilli, cilantro add flavour but I'm sure they're not necessary). Kind of stew it a little and blend it up. The original recipe is for a cold sauce with cold fish, but we usually have it hot.

Fish cakes? I make mine with potato and fish (both cooked) but why not try cooked oats and fish? Then deep fry in sunflower oil. Good with the mango tomato sauce!

I've made pancakes from oat flour (I just ground the oats in a food processor) milk, oil and an egg. Worth a try minus the egg, perhaps?

Lamb is really nice in a salad - my recipe uses grilled pineapple slices, and I am sure mango will go really well as a replacement. I would try slices of lamb with lettuce, celery, green pepper and mango, sprinkled with cashew nuts.

Crusted fish - if you think the crust will fall off, try baking fish with the crust layered on top. You will still get a crunchy layer to eat with the fish, I think, even if it's not wrapped around the fish. It's going to be the texture that's important, so even if you grill a cunchy crust mixture separate from the fish it will probably go well.

Is she allowed anything acidic? Vinegar or lemon juice can be used to make a curd cheese. Look up recipes for (making and eating) paneer.

Dried mango is delicious (although can be pricey) - chopped and mixed with cashews and sunflower seeds I imagine it would make a nice snack.

I really hope her health improves on the diet!

Nikki

Edited by nd293
Correction.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

Julie: My daughter's results were pretty surprising since she does not have a problem with any of the usual suspects besides soy. Tomatoes, Eggs, Milk, most seafood & most nuts where all fine. Beef, white potatoes, asparagus, cinnamon & vanilla were high on the list of intolerances that we consumed regularly. I'm sure glad I forked over the money to have the test done rather than go the elimination diet route. We would have eliminated all of the approved items and eaten more of her problem items! One of the most difficult things for us so far is that we can't use any store bought broth or stock. Even the good organic brands have some ingredient that is off limits.

Rosie: I did bake the veal with the coating. I have done chicken this way for years using egg whites instead of the milk to make the oat bran stick. It looked beautiful until I tried to flip it and then disaster struck and I got mushy crumbs stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Jean: No vinegar. I would kill for vinegar. The only acid we have is lemon on day 4 which I don't want to switch because day 4 is shrimp and scallops! Love the veal burger idea. I bet I could do meatloaf the same way! I've actually never cooked lamb or veal before this weeks unsuccessful attempt, so I have a basic question. Can I buy veal and lamb pre-ground (I don't remember seeing it at the local supermarkets or Fresh Market) or do I need to grind it myself? What cut of meat would I use grind it myself? Veal here is super expensive as is lamb $17+ for lb. All of the day 1 proteins are expensive--well other than the frozen cod that I got at Trader Joe's.

Ginger: My daughter loves the stir fry and cracker idea!

Christy: Thank you for the book recommendation. I will definitely be ordering it!

Edited by nancy in nj
needed to expand response

Wow, I am overwhelmed at the number of responses. I can't thank you ladies enough.

Elizabeth: I cannot even imagine dealing with your restrictions. Do you have chemical sensitivity? If so, I really love thecanaryreport.org forum. I don't post on there often, but reading the forum really saved my daughter's life and gave us the courage move somewhere safer so that her health did not deteriorate any further. I love the oat flour tortilla suggestion. Unfortunately, no cheese. I haven't braved the codfish yet, but it is sitting in the freezer waiting for me!

Sherry: I love the tapioca pudding idea...I had thought of it but couldn't find any recipes that didn't include eggs. Will it turn out ok without the eggs? Thanks for all of the ground veal/lamb suggestions! As someone who have never eaten or cooked veal or lamb, all of the different cuts were completely daunting. I just need to figure out where to get ground veal/lamb around here!

Lisa: Great question. She can do butter (I think) but definitely no cheese, yogurt of sour cream at this point because of the candida issue. I thought maybe fresh mozzerella would be ok, but all of the stuff at TJ"s had vinegar as an ingredient so it's off limits.

SBGrace: Wow! I didn't realize that we could use 24 hours periods rather than days. I can totally see how it would be easier to start the "day" with supper.

Patty Joanna: Luckily, we actually have a suggested rotation for each day that came with the ALCAT test results. Apparently is you show sensitivities to more than 50 food items you get the prize, a suggested line-up for each day. We have moved a couple of "groups" to different days, but I think my head would have exploded if I had to go through the exercise you suggested starting from scratch!

Nikki: Yes, I agree that the list is not terribly helpful...that's why I sent up the plea for help! Thanks for taking the time to throw out suggestions. The salad and sauce sound wonderful. Unfortunately vinegar is off limits and she is intolerant to lime. Lemon is on the day 4 rotation which I am trying not to switch since it pairs nicely with Day 4's shrimp and scallops.

You've all been so helpful . I will read the book Christy recommended before bothering you with Day's 2-4!

Edited by nancy in nj

Over TEN years ago I had SillyAutismBoy on a rotation diet AND made him diary and gluten-free and yeast-free at the same time (!!!!!). I got some cookbooks for both diets from the local health food store, joined a health food co'op to buy all the odd grains/seeds/flours he COULD eat in bulk, learned to bake crackers, breads, etc. with spelt/amaranth/etc. flours....kept it up six months. OK, turned out SAB was NOT allergic to dozens of food (the local, as it turned out QUACK just did the skin-prick tests, one of the nurses there made an off-hand comment how anyone could have a small local reaction if the body recognized the food being tested) and was not one of the autism kids who needed to be gluten/casein-free. But I planned and cooked for that diet for half a year and fell for you!!!!

I do not see the book I had at Amazon now - but there are sure a lot more cookbooks for a rotation diet than existed 15 years ago!!!!

Sherry: I love the tapioca pudding idea...I had thought of it but couldn't find any recipes that didn't include eggs. Will it turn out ok without the eggs? Thanks for all of the ground veal/lamb suggestions! As someone who have never eaten or cooked veal or lamb, all of the different cuts were completely daunting. I just need to figure out where to get ground veal/lamb around here!

Nancy,

Here is a recipe for eggless tapioca pudding http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaidesserts/ss/tapiocamangopud.htm

You will need to make a few substitutions- cow's milk for coconut milk and stevia for the syrup. If she can't have salt, omit it. If rice is on another day's rotation, you can also make eggless rice pudding. If she can have cardamon, rose water, orange extract, allspice, or other flavorings, one can be added. You can also add chopped raw cashews or other raw nuts early in the cooking stage.

Veal/lamb - do you have any ethnic grocery stories in your area? One catering to Middle Eastern, Asia (especially Indian), or Caribbean populations would have greater choice of cuts than your standard U.S. supermarket. The employees may also have suggestions for cooking them.

Some stores will grind meat for you. You would need to ask the butcher. If cross-contamination is an issue (the store uses the same grinder for all meats), buy a home model. You can get a basic meat grinder at Cabela's for about $40. You might also find one in the kitchen small appliance or gadgets section of other stores. For grinding at home, buying stew meat or other less expensive boneless cuts would be easiest. If you get bone-in meats, remove the bone before grinding the meat. Boil the bone to make stock.

Try to find an older cookbook from the U.K or Ireland. Lamb is widely eaten there. Also the traditional foods are less spiced than those from other countries. Your daughter may develop a taste for grilled lamb chops.

If your daughter can have heavy cream - heavy cream, tomato sauce (or cooked tomato mash), and ground cashews form a good base. Add stewing meat or chunks of fish and chopped vegetables. A few spices greatly improve the flavor, are there any she can have?

For baked goods, pancakes and waffles - 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons of water can be substituted for each egg.

At our grocery store, they have ground lamb frozen in small tubes in the frozen food section. I don't know why they don't have it with the rest of the meats - probably because it isn't bought as often and has to stay more frozen. They don't have ground veal at our store but they do at others. It is one of those - "you're just going to have to ask", kind of things.

A funny: I was on a rotation diet similar to this a number of years ago. I got 90% of things at an organic health food market (sort of like Whole Foods but cheaper;)). Anyway - I made the mistake of asking for veal at the meat counter. I was totally unaware of the controversy surrounding veal and was unprepared for the reaction which was very similar to if I had asked for boiled baby. I was so stressed and tired from looking at all these labels and finding almost nothing I could eat, that I burst into tears and said, "but it's for this rotation diet. And I have nothing to eat!" I had turned to leave the store when one of the butchers ran after me and whispered, "You can find it at xyz store!" I'm glad that he had compassion on me. :)