Menu

On the subject of religion- 2 questions for Baptist and Lutherans...

Recently, I heard 2 things of which I was a bit confused about...

One, that Baptists don't believe in dancing?? I've never heard that before, even went to a Baptist church once or twice, and had Baptist friends. I don't understand why?

Two, that Lutheran's don't believe the Bible is the literal word of God, but just a really good book, with lots of really good stories?? I don't believe this to be true. I think this was just one persons experience at this particular Lutheran church... though I don't know why.

One, that Baptists don't believe in dancing?? I've never heard that before, even went to a Baptist church once or twice, and had Baptist friends. I don't understand why?

Two, that Lutheran's don't believe the Bible is the literal word of God, but just a really good book, with lots of really good stories?? I don't believe this to be true. I think this was just one persons experience at this particular Lutheran church... though I don't know why.

There are a lot of different types of Baptists. As a conservative southern baptist I danced at my wedding and at my brother's. Both were attended by my preacher and were perfectly condoned :D. We don't hold dances at the church. Dancing is not encouraged or discouraged. It is regarded as a proper time and place sort of thing. That said, I too, have heard of particular baptist denoms. that take a much harder stance on dance. (forgive the Dr. Suess moment. :lol:)

Depends on the Lutherans ;). In the US, the largest Lutheran denomination, ELCA, does pretty much fall into that description :glare:. However, most of the other denoms, including the second and third largest - LCMS and WELS, respectively - do believe the Bible to be God's inspired and inerrant Word. We hold a very high view of the Bible, actually, as we believe the Word of God to be a means of grace, by which God conveys His saving grace, which creates and strengthens faith :). As our kids' catechism says, "When I read the Bible, the Holy Spirit is keeping me in my faith" :).

Boy, this is like winning the lottery. I was raised in Southern Baptist churches and have been Lutheran (Missouri Synod) for 10 years.

Baptists - in our household when we were kids, yep. No dancing or drinking. Girls/women couldn't wear pants to church.

Lutherans - our synod is Old School. The Bible is the word of God, not a collection of stories. Our services are also very traditional and reverent. I've had Catholic friends come to service with us and they recognized the order of service (so they must be similar).

Lutherans - our synod is Old School. The Bible is the word of God, not a collection of stories. Our services are also very traditional and reverent. I've had Catholic friends come to service with us and they recognized the order of service (so they must be similar).

Grew up ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) although at the time it was LCA, I think). I had a similar experience with Catholic friends. Think it's more just the liturgy which is probably similar with Missouri Synod and ELCA.

I definitely wouldn't say the ELCA views the Bible as just a "collection of stories", but it isn't taken literally. You do have the issues of which translations and how words are translated. ELCA is much more liberal than Missouri Synod - so saying "Lutheran" really has a wide range of worshipers.

I grew up Baptist and dancing was 100% okay. In general, any time someone says to you, "All Baptists think such and such," you should probably take that with a grain of salt since there's a pretty big range there.

:iagree: Any time someone says, "All [insert any group] think such and such" you should take it with a grain of salt.

A dancing Baptist here ;)

Grew up ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) although at the time it was LCA, I think). I had a similar experience with Catholic friends. Think it's more just the liturgy which is probably similar with Missouri Synod and ELCA.

I definitely wouldn't say the ELCA views the Bible as just a "collection of stories", but it isn't taken literally. You do have the issues of which translations and how words are translated. ELCA is much more liberal than Missouri Synod - so saying "Lutheran" really has a wide range of worshipers.

:iagree:I grew up in a church that was LCA, and then ELCA. We were taught the Bible is God's Word, not a bunch of stories. Not all are to be taken literally, though, some are metaphors, symbolic, parables (even in the OT).

I once read that there were over 125 different types of Baptists in the United States. The majority belong to the Southern Baptist denomination, which has a national convention group that makes statements and suggestions, however each church maintains a high degree of autonomy and will decide whether to go along with the suggestions or not. Other Baptist denominations may have differing degrees of autonomy from their national organization.

Many of the things that "Baptists" don't do have a lot more to do with the social climate in which the church is located or with the leadership of a particular pastor than an actual denominational belief. For example, drinking alcohol, smoking, dancing, card playing, women wearing pants, long hair which is uncovered, etc. are all interpretations of the individual churches. Many of these were banned by a particular church if the leadership considered it to be a potential stumbling block to congregants.

So while some Baptist churches may ban dancing, others may not. And then there are also the complicating factors of those that are against modern social dance (the stuff seen on MTV) while accepting square and folk dance, others that have banned dance done to nonChristian music but who approve of what is these days referred to as ecclesiastical dance, and others who accept it all. It is up to the individual church and in many cases, up to the individual person, depending on how they believe the Holy Spirit is leading them on this matter.

Lutheran here, ELCA.

There is a long, long distance between 'literal word of God' and 'book of really good stories'. At least in my church, the Bible is definitely regarded as the Word, yet not everything is interpreted literally, but some as allegorical.

I grew up Free Will Baptist in NC and there was definitely a disapproving attitude towards dancing. I remember my Father's family who lived next to us being especially condemming of many things! I now attend a non-denominational church with much diveristy. They actually have groups dancing to music as part of the service at times. Also, I have a question for other mainstream Christians......I was also taught as a child that Mormons were strange and confused....along with all the rules for not dancing. As an adult, I got to know a Mormon who I just loved and realized she was not strange at all. She explained to me about Joseph Smith and the idea of God giving revelation to a modern day prophet. That makes perfect sense to me. Is there any reason in Baptist, Methodist doctrine that would contradict this?

There are a lot of different types of Baptists. As a conservative southern baptist I danced at my wedding and at my brother's. Both were attended by my preacher and were perfectly condoned :D. We don't hold dances at the church. Dancing is not encouraged or discouraged. It is regarded as a proper time and place sort of thing. That said, I too, have heard of particular baptist denoms. that take a much harder stance on dance. (forgive the Dr. Suess moment. :lol:)

Grew up in the Independent Fundamental Baptist churches..."don't smoke, drink, dance, or chew and don't go with girls/guys that do"

Finally, I've learned to enjoy my wine and coconut rum.

At the (Southern?) Baptist church that we held our wedding reception at, we were not allowed to have dancing because it was a Baptist church. However, this same Baptist church had a youth group which danced and may even have held dance lessons in the youth building...:D I don't think any member of that church would have considered dancing a serious sin. However, it was still not allowed at the reception. Alcohol wasn't allowed, either.