Menu

Healthier Snack and Lunch Ideas

I need some help with ideas for feeding a picky 5 and 3 yo and a voracious 1 yo without breaking the bank. I want to start eliminating obviously processed foods like goldfish, cheese crackers, chips, etc. While I would like to move towards even healthier eating (grass fed meats, whole wheat, etc), I am just looking to take first steps right now. My first move is to feed them more things I make myself with ingredients from my kitchen or buy in the produce section. :D

I need things that are easy to make in bulk ahead of time (note my kids' ages) and then grab when snack time comes. Other than DH's cereal habit, we have breakfast down no problem. There seem to be tons of ideas for sweeter snacks out there. I need ideas for lunches and savory snacks.

I can get BLSL chicken breasts at good prices at the commissary so I was going to venture into making a freezing my own chicken nuggets. We usually eat those with baked fries, but frozen from the bag. I can make my own fries, but may have a hard time pulling that off at lunch - substitutes? Two of three kids like mac-n-cheese -- I can make that from scratch. They really like to eat cheese cubes and ritz crackers with carrots and ranch and some fruit for lunch. That doesn't seem all that bad, right?

Snack ideas? I can do homemade granola bars, but after that I am drawing a blank. Obviously there is fruit and yogurt.

Any ideas you can throw out there to help me think this through would be VERY appreciated. You can see how we have been eating; I want to make baby steps to improve that.

Thanks!

Pam

One of my favorite cookbooks is called Sugar Free Toddlers ISBN 0-913589578 by Susan Watson. I have had it for several years now so I don't know if it is still in print or not. I have no doubt that some of the nutritional information about the store bought products has changed. However, I love the recipes! It has recipes for everything from graham crackers to cake icing to baked carrot sticks and ice cream. I have made almost every recipe and my kids have always liked them

We make our own homemade crackers. It is easy and something you could even do with the kids. They love running the pizza cutter through them to cut them in shapes.

My daughter has a website: http://www.littlehouseliving.com

She has many frugal and good recipes, since she has allergy problems to many foods. It may work for your "picky" eaters, too.

She just made homemade cheese its the other day and posted the recipe...check it out and maybe you can get some good ideas.

Did you know that you can pop the popcorn kernels in a paper lunch sack in the microwave? You don't even need oil. Leftovers can be kept in a ziploc bag.

Apple slices w/ peanut butter

Half a PB & J sandwich

String cheese

Homemade frozen yogurt pops

Zucchini or carrot muffins (I use just half the sugar in muffin recipes and they still taste great)

Tortilla chips, pita chips, or veggie tray with bean dip, hummus, or veggie dip (sour cream, salt & pepper, dill, dried onion flakes, garlic)

Snacks for my 4 year-old:

-hard boiled eggs

-olives

-steamed veggies (he's more likely to eat these if watching a video or we are reading together)

-popcorn

-toast

-cheese chunks

-trail mix

-cooked cold pasta that can be eaten with the fingers like tri-color rotini.

-rice cakes, plain or with peanut butter or avocado

-fruit

I don't buy crackers because I'm cheap and because I don't want to be tempted to nibble on them myself. I actually don't worry too much about having a lot of variety for snacks because I want him to snack only when hungry, not because the food is different or fun. I save the creativity for dinner when its harder to get my son to sit down and actually eat what the rest of us are.

are fantastic! Thank you. I am going to compile one to keep on the fridge.

I knew about the popcorn trick. So easy. Never thought about half the sugar in a recipe. It works ok with consistency and all?

I don't buy crackers because I'm cheap and because I don't want to be tempted to nibble on them myself. I actually don't worry too much about having a lot of variety for snacks because I want him to snack only when hungry, not because the food is different or fun. I save the creativity for dinner when its harder to get my son to sit down and actually eat what the rest of us are.
If I am really being honest that is another reason I want to eliminate these snacks. I will reach for them over healthier options all the time. Good idea about not making snacks too appealing. Mine are also notorious for not wanting to eat with the family.

My kids love to have a little bit of several things plopped in each muffin tin hole.
I think mine would too. This is a great idea for lunch. Bento seems too fancy -- more like an art form. Muffin tins seem much more doable for me. :001_smile:

Great point! I am the big snacker in our house, so it is best if I don't even buy the tempting treats!

When my DD was that age, she always liked to dip things. So if it is veggies (steamed cauliflower and broccoli cooled) in FF Ranch Dressing. Veggies in Hummus. Apples into thinned peanut butter. Bread sticks in pasta sauce.

Pickles are a good snack. Cheese. Raisins. We generally keep it simple.

And then there is nutella if you want something a little bit indulgent.

Popcorn in a lunch bag in the microwave? Never heard of that. How does it work? How many seeds? How long? This sounds awesome!

Open the lunch sack. Dump in enough popcorn kernels to cover the bottom of the sack in a layer of kernels. Fold the top over twice.

The time might be tricky since all microwaves are different. Ours has a popcorn button and that is just about the right amount of time. We listen for the popping to slow. I guess it's about two minutes or so. You could start at 90 seconds; if it isn't done do 30 more, listening for the popping to slow.

We usually spray with olive oil and season with salt or seasoning salt.

I have this and really should use it more. It's great!

They have 8 copies on paperbackswap:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Sugar-Free-Toddlers-Susan-Watson/book/0913589578/

One of my favorite cookbooks is called Sugar Free Toddlers ISBN 0-913589578 by Susan Watson. I have had it for several years now so I don't know if it is still in print or not. I have no doubt that some of the nutritional information about the store bought products has changed. However, I love the recipes! It has recipes for everything from graham crackers to cake icing to baked carrot sticks and ice cream. I have made almost every recipe and my kids have always liked them

my middle one is very picky, so i'm interested in new ideas as well.

for lunch i often make him pb and honey sandwiches. i use good bread and (usually) a natural pb and local honey.

we have started making smoothies as well...i haven't tried anything green in them yet but plain canned pumpkin (the kind you buy for pumpkin pie) makes a really velvety smoothie.

My kids are big dippers and love the muffin cup meal. I usually fill one cup with peanut butter, yogurt, hummus or homemade cheese spread and give them whole grain bread or crackers, fruits, veg and a few chocolate chips or m&m's, sometimes dry cereal.

My 7 and 3 yo (7yo does the 'cooking' ) love to snack on a scrambled egg made in the microwave.

I make muffins/granola bars/quick breads for snacks or quick breakfast.

Beans, cheese or even hummus wrapped in a tortilla.

I bought an apple slicer. My kids apple consumption skyrocketed because they can slice and core them themselves :confused:.

Animal crackers, graham crackers and 'nilla wafers. They're not health food but help that desire for a treat.

I keep a just of water in the fridge with cut up lemons, limes and oranges in it. That and a straw is 'cooler' than regular water. Sort of a not sweet roaring water.