Menu

What's your go-to meal for company?

So, you're having company over. It's not formal but they aren't casual friends you see all the time either. What's your go-to meal?

Not surprisingly, we've had more guests over since moving into this house over Halloween weekend than we had at the old house in a year. We have another guest on his way here now. Yes, it is late; it was planned late and then he got stuck behind a big accident on the freeway.

Dinner is herb-crusted pork tenderloin, roasted red potatoes, carrots, and onions, and caesar salad. Dessert is homemade dutch apple pie a la mode.

Looking for more ideas.

In the fall/winter, I turn to our family's homemade chicken pot pie recipe that has been passed down for a few generations. It's always successful.

In the spring/summer, we usually grill chicken that has been marinated in italian dressing. We serve it with a salad or fresh fruit, and potatoes that have been seasoned and placed in aluminum foil packets on the grill.

Your meal sounds scruptious. I'd be very impressed.

We cook a wide variety of things for company b/c we tend to have the same handful of families over all the time, so need new things. :)

In the summer, our favorite meal is steak & veggie kabobs with an herb paste rub, pasta & pesto (or roast potatoes) for the starchy side.

If time permits, we love to make home-made butternut squash ravioli with a carmelized onion cream sauce.

Home made soups are my fave personally, so butternut squash - apple confit, tomato-basil, or potato leek are fave sides. Corn chowder is a great one for a more casual meal.

Home made pizza is a big hit for families for a casual but tasty meal.

Great steaks with bernaise sauce is another fave for grilling season when we have really nice steaks available (from our half cow annual purchase).

I live in the NE and it is COLD. For this time of year I might make bread and then pull out my sandwich press. I slice the bread and put out a variety of sandwich items. People can make their own sandwich and put it in the press. I would offer a variety of cheeses, roasted vegetables, spreads etc for the sandwiches. I also make a soup..depends on what I have and what the sandwich stuff it. It might be something creamy and indulgent or a ministrone... I would also make a beautiful salad.

Then either homemade brownies and I pull out the ice cream maker or a chocolate fondu for dessert.

So, it is simple: sandwiches, soup, salad and dessert. It is also fancy because it is all fresh and mostly homemade and a lot of people don't get that very often.

I like to make something that can be fixed ahead of time so I can enjoy company. Stuffed shells are my favorite. Inside the shells I put ricotta, mozarella, parmesan, and jack cheeses, with a couple of eggs and some spinach, and then cover it all with a beautiful marinara sauce and a little more parmesan. So easy and delicious! I also serve a salad and rolls, with brownies and ice cream for dessert.

I have three I rotate between, depending on time and taste

Macaroni and cheese. I make it with smoked gouda, provolone, and blue cheese with crispy bacon on top if they are not vegetarian. Add a loaf of garlic bread and whatever vegetable and we are good to go. It is very rare I find someone who doesn't like Mac and cheese.

If I have more notice and I know they like Indian food I do that as everything can be done before and it reheats wonderfully.

Panch Dal

Cauliflower and Potato Subzi

Cherry and Raisin Puloa

cucumber and cilantro raita

Paratha bread.

Cottage Pie is also a good one

Pork loin is WAY simpler than spaghetti: wash the pork loin and place it in an oblong slow cooker that has been sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle generously with seasoned salt & pepper. Turn the crockpot on low and cook for at least 8 hours. If the meat starts to look dry during cooking, add 1/2 cup or so of water or broth. I'll usually fix salad and bread with spaghetti, and with pork roast I usually fix something simple like baked sweet potatoes and some type of green vegetable or a salad, plus bread.

Home made pizza. Friends request it in advance and those who don't usually ask if we will make it the next time, if I try to serve something else. Actually it gets talked about at church. Apparently no one around here makes homemade pizza, because even though I use 6-8 different recipes (and even those I'm constantly changing), everyone raves about how good it is.

Home made pizza. Friends request it in advance and those who don't usually ask if we will make it the next time, if I try to serve something else. Actually it gets talked about at church. Apparently no one around here makes homemade pizza, because even though I use 6-8 different recipes (and even those I'm constantly changing), everyone raves about how good it is.

I make homemade pizza occasionally but haven't found a sauce I like. What do you use? And how do you manage to make pizza for a crowd (with just us and one family we know, there's 15 people to feed) with a regular oven?

If it's someone whom I know will enjoy something different, I like to make ropa vieja, or polo mole or chalupas with my own masa shells and then either shredded pork or beef I've done in the crockpot. If I'm doing one of these, I'll also make some tortilla chips and pico de gallo. Then, make lime sorbet for dessert.

If it's someone less adventurous, I see what is the best roast (beef or pork) I have in the freezer, and do the traditional sides.

I did a lunch for some guests last month with a salad of grilled chicken over romaine, spinach and red onion with mandarin oranges, cranberries and spicy toasted pecans served with a berry poppy seed dressing. It was a big hit and I've served it a couple of times to my family since. Very tasty and light! For a supper, maybe I might start with a simple soup and follow up with a small portion of a chocolate gateau.

I make homemade pizza occasionally but haven't found a sauce I like. What do you use? And how do you manage to make pizza for a crowd (with just us and one family we know, there's 15 people to feed) with a regular oven?

The brand of sauce I use is Dei Fratelli which is packed by Hirzel Canning Co from Toledo OH (I have a can in front of me because I couldn't even remember the brand).

I had a hard time with sauces too. When we started actively avoiding High fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated stuff, I went through all the different brands that met my requirements (I think there was only 3) and this is the one we like best. I like the flavor much better than the brands we used to use, so I'm glad I was inspired to try others. We like a spicier sauce and this fit the bill.

As far as feeding a crowd. First I frequently make whole wheat crust (or at least half whole wheat) so they are pretty filling. We are also big on toppings so when pizzas go in the oven they are usually an inch high or so before it all gets cooked down. I have sheet pans (equivalent to a 1/2 sheet cake size) that we use or the largest pizza stone that pampered chef sells. Pizzas this size take about 20 minutes to bake in my oven. I put the first in to cook while assembling the second. We usually have the kids eat the first pizza and the adults wait for the second. I've never needed a third pizza because they are so filling but if I did, I would probably make sure to have veggies/dip, fruit/dip, chips/dip type stuff for snacking while waiting for the next pizza to come out.