Menu

anyone using All About Spelling?

rhreinke

Hi, I'm new to using a forum and am a little inexperienced with all the abbreviations, so bare with me. Anyhow, I recently switched to AAS after starting with SWO a few weeks ago. So far I like AAS and all the different ways in which a child can learn, but I am trying to follow the WTM guidelines with curriculum. So my question is has anyone used this program, AAS, and what do you think of it in the long run? With any change in curriculum I am a little nervous, so I thought I would reach out to others and their opinions. My ds is 6, so we are just starting out with our first grade year using the classical education. Thanks

I like AAS better and better as we use it more. WTM recommends a rule-based spelling program, and AAS is definitely rule-based. It doesn't cover vocabulary, though, so I added vocabulary with my 5th grader this year. The dictation sentences are a nice transition into longer dictations from literature.

I didn't like the cards at first, but now I love using them. I do a much better job with mixed review with the cards than I ever did with lists, and my kids have really benefited from that.

Julie D.

I love it. However, it does take time, and it is teacher intensive. This is not a program where you give a pretest on Monday, and Tue, Wed, Thur they fill out worksheets and then take a final test on Friday.

I am teaching 3 3rd graders together. This is not the best way, but I am pressed. Unfortunately, my dd, who could easily go quicker, needs to wait for her cousin. The review though cannot be beat and the way they introduce the sounds is great.

That is why I make time for it.

HTH.

AAS has to be one of my all time fav curriculum. It changed my entire view of how spelling **can** be taught. Who knew you didn't have to have a Monday pretest and a Friday post test and forget the 20 words on Saturday??? ;)

It does take teacher time, but I don't spend much more than 15 min/day 4 days a week with my kids on spelling.

The results are well worth the teacher time! Both my older two have excellent spelling!

I would have to say that there are a few kids I don't think AAS is good for. We tried it almost to the end of Level 2 for my 3rd child and we had to stop. He has such a good memory that he has NO time for the format of AAS. He wants his word list and he wants to memorize the spellings and be done... for the sake of our relationship I put him in Spelling Workout that he can do independently. He's thriving with that. My youngest guy will do AAS with the other 2 when he's ready.

We are into Level 6 with my eldest. It has stood the test of time. :D

I love AAS! We've been using it for about 2 years, and 9yo dd just started level 5. She started at 7 1/2. Younger dd started at 6yo. I work 1:1 with each girl for at least 20 minutes, 4 times a week. I'm glad I've been learning the rules along with the girls. It makes it easy for me to remind them of a rule when they have mistakes in their own writing. I love the fact that there are no worksheets and no busy work.

Can I ask another question? What do you buy to do this program? The TM and student material packet, letter tiles with magnets, what about the CD-ROM?

I feel like this will be a good fit for my DS but want to make sure I have what I need. :)

Oh, and then what would you need to buy for other children? Just a student packet?

Are you willing to elaborate on the whys? :D

I'll start with my natural speller because that's easy. He would probably enjoy this program, and I imagine he would learn some things at the upper levels (which I have not looked at), but it is time intensive and he doesn't need it. I just think his time would be better spent elsewhere since he is already such a good speller.

My struggling speller is currently in first grade. He has done all of level one and since then we have paused and we have been just doing spelling lists sort of Phonetic Zoo style just to get a break from AAS. Anyway, first of all he hates the tiles. I have never seen so many homeschool tears for anything other than me pulling out the AAS magnetic white board and tiles. We started using AAS with just pencil and paper which he liked much better.

Secondly, some of the rules are just crazy. Off the top of my head there's something like F, L, and S are often doubled right after a single vowel in a single syllable word. I can assure you that my ds will never memorize that rule. He may remember to answer it correctly (as it is in question format in AAS "Which three letters...?") - sort of like being able to answer a multiple choice question easily, though unable to give the information in an essay test format - but I am certain he will never be able to remember (and thus apply) that rule. I am sure what he can do is learn to see the pattern of F, L, and S being doubled at the ends of many words, maybe even at the end of many words and right after a single vowel, but that rule in entirety is overkill (for him). AAS still provides review with words like that and he will learn (has learned, actually) to double F, L, and S mostly properly, but that repetition could have been there without him trying to memorize that very long, complex rule.

I have never read anything negative about AAS on these boards so obviously it is working well for most people. I can make AAS work, but only by taking out some of the parts that make AAS what it is. I feel like I spent a lot of money on an elaborate spelling program and what we really needed was something much simpler and probably much less expensive.

Can I ask another question? What do you buy to do this program? The TM and student material packet, letter tiles with magnets, what about the CD-ROM?

I feel like this will be a good fit for my DS but want to make sure I have what I need. :)

Oh, and then what would you need to buy for other children? Just a student packet?

You've got it. If you buy a level "set," it comes with the TM & student materials packet. You can either get a Starter Kit (which includes the Letter Tiles, magnets & CD-ROM), or just the tiles & magnets. The CD-ROM is nice for kids to practice phonograms on their own, or if you struggle with some of the sounds. But it's not something you *have* to have to do the program. There's a demo of it online, check that out & decide if you would use it.

For additional children, just get them a student materials packet. Some people find they can reuse most of the materials packets (most of the items are non-consumable). If you have a child who really struggles with spelling or one who has a learning disability, then you'll want to make sure to have packets for each. I find it's easier to have one packet for each personally, but my kids need lots of ongoing review, so they review many of the cards from previous levels.

HTH! Merry :-)

Anyway, first of all he hates the tiles. I have never seen so many homeschool tears for anything other than me pulling out the AAS magnetic white board and tiles. We started using AAS with just pencil and paper which he liked much better.

I have a son who prefers pencil & paper too! And a dd who prefers using a hand-held whiteboard. Although she sometimes will use the tiles. I mainly use the tiles for demonstration purposes, and then let them choose.

Secondly, some of the rules are just crazy. Off the top of my head there's something like F, L, and S are often doubled right after a single vowel in a single syllable word.

That is one of the longer ones, most are not that involved. Or maybe it's just because my kids are older that I don't notice as much! I think it took a couple of levels for mine to really know that one by heart though, and most didn't take that long.

Hope you either find a way to make it work or find something that works better for you!

Merry :-)

I spent a lot of time the first 6 years of our homeschooling thinking the problem was curriculum that my dd didn't like and methodologies that didn't fit her. Then I found out there were actually REASONS why my dd was the only one around who wouldn't color, the only one who didn't like puzzles, the only one who (insert negative reaction to other popular and common items). A child might not like the AAS tiles if he is visually overwhelmed and doesn't know the alphabet that well to put them in order. He might have motor skill deficits. My hindsite, having btdt, is that I wouldn't assume these things are just child preference. A few years from now you might look back and see them as early clues to larger issues.

Edited by OhElizabeth