Menu

Share your menu

If you are making the "big" meal for this holiday, please share your menu. I'm looking for a little inspiration. I'm toying with Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon, but I'm not sure it's going to satisfy my desire for something fancy.

Right now I'm thinking:

Bacon-wrapped scallops (Bud's absolute favorite, so I always try to make it as an appetizer on special occasions)

Boeuf Bourguignon or a pan-seared strip steak with horseradish pan sauce

Scalloped potatoes, or a potato gratin with gruyere

Sweet and Sour green beans

Yellow Velvet

Sister Schubert's rolls

Fruit salad

What about you?

I think that's enough. Lasagna doesn't require a lot to go with it, and you'll be snacking all day on the antipasto.

We have our big meal on Christmas Eve, and I like to have enough leftovers for snakcing on Christmas Day so I don't have to cook. So I make a lot. We'll be having Ebelskivers for breakfast on Christmas morning.

Christmas Eve: Frango assado (Portuguese grilled chicken) with sweet potato fries and salad and fresh bread. I was thinking about making that Santa loaf someone posted, but I don't know yet.

Christmas Day: Slow-cooked Kansas City ribs, salad, bread, possibly potato salad, and Gingerbread cake baked into cute loaf pans (a Christmas tree and a gingerbread man) with a nut hidden in one of the appendages of the man for a prize. :)

Recipes:

Frango Assado

2 large garlic cloves

1 large bay leaf, crumbled

2 tsp paprika

1/2 T kosher salt

1/4 tsp each crushed dried chili peppers and black pepper

2 T olive oil

2 young broiler/fryers, about 2 lbs each, quartered (I use 4 large, skinless and boneless, chicken breasts or 4 pounds of skinless chicken thighs)

Rub chicken with the above ingredients and let sit in fridge 2 hours. 30 min before cooking, bring to room temp. Grill.

Gingerbread Cake <---- absolutely fantastic recipe, especially with a spoonful of whipped cream on top. :)

Kansas City Rib Rub

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup paprika

1 T black pepper

1 T salt

1 T chili powder

1 T minced garlic

1/4 to 1/3 onion, finely minced

1 tsp cayenne

Combine ingredients. Remove membrane from back of ribs. Apply rub and let sit in fridge overnight or 30 min on counter.

Slow cook ribs in foil in 275F oven for 4-5 hours. Coat with BBQ sauce for last 20 minutes until think. Pass the sauce at the table.

These ribs are so very tasty, I don't even know what to say about them. I think it's the slow-cooking that makes them so yummy.

Kansas City Rib Sauce

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup vinegar

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 T olive oil

2 t paprika

1 T chili powder

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp cayenne (adjust to suit your taste)

1/3 onion (optional)

slash Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Heat oil in saucepan. Add garlic and onion (optional) and saute' until brown. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes until thick.

Christmas Eve my family come over and we usually order out. On Christmas day we stay home a relax.

Christmas Eve

Chic Fila chicken stripes platter

Chic Fila cool wraps and chicken salad sandwich platter

pasta salad

veg tray

chips and dip

oreo ice cream pie

Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake

Peanut Blossom Cookies

Christmas Morning

Cinnamon rolls

Cheese eggs

sausage

Dinner(Variety of things)

Crab Legs

Fish

Salad

Corn bread

Chips and dip

And whatever is left over from Christmas Eve including dessert!!

Christmas Eve we will have a Potato, Onion and Roquefort soup topped with fried shallots.

Christmas Day brunch will be eggnog french toast and sausages. Dinner will be a rib roast with mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus.

It's just going to be the four of us this year, so I'm not making a lot of food.

My menu is ordinary.

Roast beef

Mashed potatoes

Roasted sweet potatoes

Steamed broccoli

Green Bean Casserole (the cream of soup/fried onion rings kind)

Yorkshire pudding

Fruit salad

Gravy

Yule log

Pecan pie

Pumpkin pie

Mince pie (except the groceries here don't carry it -- that one I do not make from scratch)

We're having Christmas Eve Lunch with my mother, grandmother, sister and brother-in-law. We'll be having smoked turkey with apple/walnut rice pilaf, mashed potatoes, veggie casserole, Jell-O fluff, rolls, and pies. All I have to do is provide the house and make the mashed potatoes. I can live with that!

I'm fixing just for my family of four on Christmas Day. We're going to have crawfish-etouffee-stuffed boneless chicken, baked butternut squash, corn on the cob, rolls, apple pie, and German chocolate cake. I'm looking forward to it!

Fried turkey

gravy

cranberry sauce (homemade)

mashed potatoes

green bean casserole

sweet potato casserole

squash and onions

rolls

cookies

Normally we do ham for Christmas since we just had turkey for Thanksgiving, but my dad offered to fry a turkey for me, and I LOVE fried turkey!

You people are making me hungry!!

We are having prime rib, potato gratin with gruyere, green beans, homemade rolls, and pecan pie.

I hadn't thought about an appetizer...we'd love bacon wrapped scallops!

Recipe, please! I'm going to the store tomorrow...

Here the link to the potato gratin I make, it is super easy but you have to get on it b/c you need to make the creme fraiche 1 or 2 days ahead:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Gratin-with-Gruyere-and-Creme-Fraiche-107310

And it's delicious!

Christmas Eve dinner will be:

Lasagna http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Worlds-Best-Lasagna/Detail.aspx

Pasta Alfredo (for the kids that don't like tomato sauce) with shrimp scampi

salad

garlic bread

Christmas Day breakfast:

Sausage & hash brown casserole

cinnamon rolls

coffee & juice

Christmas Day Dinner:

Ham with pineapples & cloves

Smoked Gouda & Bacon Mashed Potatoes

Green beans almondine

Rachel Ray's Roasted Asparagus Tips

rolls

Christmas eve we are going out for Chinese and coming home after church to pecan pie.

Christmas morning we will probably have cinnamon rolls and brown-sugar bacon and coffee. And I think this year I will make OJ Smoothies! My family tradition is SOS but no one around here likes it but me, so I am out voted.

For Christmas dinner I am thinking of roast beef, twice baked potatoes, roasted asparagus, and Yorkshire pudding. With rosemary mushroom gravy and horseradish sauce. Pear and pineapple salad on the side. For desert we will likely have Red Velvet cake.

I have no idea what we're eating on Christmas Eve. MIL is staying with us for a few days so I'm hoping she'll take care of that night.

DH is making a sausage and egg breakfast casserole for Christmas morning. During the afternoon, we usually set out a few snackish type things, like chips and dip, etc. My mom is in charge of that.

I am in charge of dinner. I'm not totally sure of all the sides yet, but so far we're having:

Smoked/honey glazed ham

Homemade mac and cheese

Squash casserole

Green Beans

Yams

Ambrosia fruit salad

Rolls

And for dessert:

Pumpkin pie

Jesus' birthday cake (this year it's yellow cake with strawberry filling and whipped cream frosting)

An assortment of goodies I've made, including butterscotch haystacks, peppermint bark, peanut butter fudge and cracker candy

If you are making the "big" meal for this holiday, please share your menu. I'm looking for a little inspiration. I'm toying with Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon, but I'm not sure it's going to satisfy my desire for something fancy.

Right now I'm thinking:

Bacon-wrapped scallops (Bud's absolute favorite, so I always try to make it as an appetizer on special occasions)

Boeuf Bourguignon or a pan-seared strip steak with horseradish pan sauce

Scalloped potatoes, or a potato gratin with gruyere

Sweet and Sour green beans

Yellow Velvet

Sister Schubert's rolls

Fruit salad

What about you?

Oh, woman, you're killing me. That sounds so rich and scrumptious..!