Menu

Math for high school

How many years of math are your students taking for high school? My son is a senior and is currently taking a pre-calculus online course. He is struggling and has a difficult time understanding the concepts. I think it's combination of the topic and the fact that he is taking it online.

He has completed Algebra 1,2 and Geometry, so he does have 3 years. We are in the state of Texas, and all ps students are required to have 4 years of math to graduate. I feel pressured that he should have 4 years of math because of this. My son will probably not pursue a math related major in college.

We are thinking of enrolling in cc for next semester. So, here are my questions:

1) Should he do a math class at cc so that he can have 4 years? (He will probably not enjoy this very much, but for the sake of having 4 years of math?)

2) If we can sign up for statistics, should he do that at the cc? This will probably be more useful for him.

He is looking a smaller schools, and most schools require 3. Some require 3 and recommend 4.

TIA

I would have him take statistics. It's a useful course to have. My dd loved her statistics class at first, but it did become more difficult about halfway through the course. Our cc has free tutoring available for a lot of the core courses, so she went to the free tutoring a couple of times and that really helped her a lot.

She's taking trig in the spring semester. She already did a full year of precalculus at home, but she forgot most of her trig when she took the math placement test, so that's where she placed.

My son will probably not pursue a math related major in college.

One never knows where the twists and turns of life may lead. Hence I strongly recommend a solid foundation--including four years of high school math. Some fields may not be math related on the surface (say business) but math is a prerequisite for some of the course work (certain economics courses).

1) Should he do a math class at cc so that he can have 4 years? (He will probably not enjoy this very much, but for the sake of having 4 years of math?)

You may be surprised. If your son finds a dynamic math instructor, he may enjoy the class.

2) If we can sign up for statistics, should he do that at the cc? This will probably be more useful for him.

He is looking a smaller schools, and most schools require 3. Some require 3 and recommend 4.

Even colleges that only require three years of math for applicants may require a mathematics course for graduation. My son (who considers himself to be non-mathy) completed his quantitative prerequisite at his college with AP Calculus. This brought him relief.

A statistics course at the CC might fulfill a later math requirement for your son (two birds with one stone) and could help build his confidence. Has he taken the math placement test at the CC? This should perhaps be his first step.

I'm confused (nothing unusual). If he has had Algebra I, II and Geometry and is taking Pre-Calc, why won't you say he has had 4 credits of math after that class? I thought a one semester class at the cc counted as one credit and that would give him four.

What am I missing?

I'm confused (nothing unusual). If he has had Algebra I, II and Geometry and is taking Pre-Calc, why won't you say he has had 4 credits of math after that class? I thought a one semester class at the cc counted as one credit and that would give him four.

What am I missing?

I got the impression that they were thinking of abandoning the Pre-Calc, though I could be wrong. I also do not get the impression that the online course is through the CC.

FWIW, I agree with Jane.

I got the impression that they were thinking of abandoning the Pre-Calc, though I could be wrong. I also do not get the impression that the online course is through the CC.

FWIW, I agree with Jane.

Thanks Sue, I guess I just wasn't awake enough when I read the original post.

I'd definitely have 4 years of math, if for nothing else, to keep his mind fresh with it as he's likely to need at least one class in college with pretty much any major.

So, doing Pre-Cal or Stats would be an option. Can you let him look at a Stats book (borrowed or in a bookstore) to see if that would interest him more? For many students Stats is just as tough as Pre-Calc, but they are totally different math subjects.

A student should take math continuously throughout highschool, with no interruptions- whether required by the state or not. Taking a semester off math before college is doing the student a huge disservice.

When you say your son will not pursue a math related major: please keep in mind that he still might be required to take science classes in college that require algebra and trigonometry, maybe even calculus. I have a student who wants to become a veterinarian - definitely not a math related career - but in order to get into vet school she must pass and algebra/trig based introductory physics class. I have another student who wants to be a pharmacist - her pharmacy school requires her to take calculus based physics!

So, whatever you do, make sure his foundation is solid.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your responses. My son took the assessment test at the cc and he can take College Algebra or Statistics and some other class called "Finite Math."

He really doesn't want to do anymore math, but I am going to encourage him to do College Algebra or statistics. If he takes his course, how would I list it on his transcript?

Math for high school would be:

Algebra 1

Geometry

Algebra 2

College Math?

I am not a math person, and I am not sure what this class entails actually.

I'd plan some type of nontraditional survey course at home. Topology is interesting. There are courses on problem solving. I'd cover some easy trig, probability and statistics with some European middle/high school materials, that present these topics earlier.

If you do CC, I'd do the college algebra, because more of it will be review than the statistics, and it will be easier.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your responses. My son took the assessment test at the cc and he can take College Algebra or Statistics and some other class called "Finite Math."

He really doesn't want to do anymore math, but I am going to encourage him to do College Algebra or statistics. If he takes his course, how would I list it on his transcript?

Algebra 1

Geometry

Algebra 2

College Math?

College Alg is generally a mix of Alg and Pre-Calc topics. It sounds like a great place for him fit-wise. List it on the transcript just as it is, College Algebra.

Hello everyone,

Algebra 1

Geometry

Algebra 2

College Math?

Does he have any idea at all what he wants to major in, or where he wants to go?

If he doesn't know, I'd take the college algebra as a safe choice. If he DOES have any idea, I'd look and see what they require for gen eds/his major and work towards that.

If he takes it, just put it on his transcript as college algebra.

I have heard that you can give one year credit for one semester of cc course. If he takes College Algebra, then would I list it for one year as College Algebra 1 and College Algebra 2 on his transcript and give him a full year? He will also have one semester of pre-calculus. Should I just not list this on his transcript, or do I do Pre-Calculus 1 for first semester and then College Algebra for second semester. This would make it seem like he didn't take a year of the same course.

Thank you all for your help.

I have heard that you can give one year credit for one semester of cc course. If he takes College Algebra, then would I list it for one year as College Algebra 1 and College Algebra 2 on his transcript and give him a full year? He will also have one semester of pre-calculus. Should I just not list this on his transcript, or do I do Pre-Calculus 1 for first semester and then College Algebra for second semester. This would make it seem like he didn't take a year of the same course.

Thank you all for your help.

Don't over think it: 1 semester College class=1 hs credit

If you're dividing your transcript by semester, just list College Algebra 1 credit on the semester he takes it. Same w/any other college classes. You'll have to put a footnote on the transcript stating where outside classes were taken and an official transcript from the cc will need to be sent to the U when he applies. The admissions office will call you if they have questions, but they are very used to seeing dual enrollment credits.