Menu

Europe Family Travel ~ Need Tips and LOTS of them

Next June or July, we may be heading to Europe.

We will definitely be going to the U.K. for a few days.

Would greatly appreciate any tips, etc.

1. Dh and I would like to do just one other city/country - for simplicity AND for cost reasons. We're thinking Barcelona. The dc are thinking Paris. We're open and unsure about any other cities - Florence, Milan, Prague, Rome, Greece ... you name it. We don't mind the heat, hence why we've picked the summer. Also, why we live in the tropics, anyway. So any opinions on cities, etc. - please share.

2. If you know of nice places to stay for a family of 4 - anywhere in Europe. I know that Europe hotels are not like hotels elsewhere. Still, I would like it to be clean and nice - and not have to pay an arm and a leg.

3. Any cheap ways of flying from London to the other place in Europe? Or should we take the train?

4. Any tips for traveling and places to stay in the U.K. - we're thinking a few days in London and a few days in Yorkshire (which ds wants to visit) and maybe Wales (where I grew up).

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

Well, I can help with 3 & 4...

It's pretty cheap to fly with Ryan Air and Easy Jet. You won't find their flights listed on Travelocity (unless things have changed), but you can google search for their web sites or just google search 'cheap flights london to rome' or wherever you want to go.

Tips for traveling in the UK - If you want cheap food, buy rolls and some lunchmeat from a grocery store and picnic for lunch. Tower of London and British Museum are must sees. York is one of my favorite cities and the Dales are beautiful. I don't have much experience with Wales, except that if you love used books, you have to go to Hay-on-Wye. It's a small village, but it has about 10-15 bookstores. Haven't been there in years, but I did love it when we went there. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me. And if you make it down to Cornwall, let me know. I'll take you out for a cream tea!

Megan, thank you. :D No time to read your reply yet, since I'm in the middle of cooking, but just remembered something.

Is is better/cheaper/cheaper and better to book hotels from places like this - or - to book 2 hotel rooms through Priceline? In the U.S., we generally have great luck booking just one hotel room for all 4 of us - except in major cities like NY or San Fran - in which case, we tend to stay out of the cities. But in Europe, I think if we go with PL, we'll have to book 2 separate rooms? Does anyone have experience with PL in Europe? Or the above link? Or anywhere else???

Sorry. I'm not much help there. We usually stay with friends when we travel or we stay somewhere that was recommended by friends. You can find accommodation through tourist information centres, though. Often smaller B&B's and self-catering apartments will be cheaper than big hotels I think. And also, traveling in June or early July may be cheaper for you than late July. The summer break from school starts around 20th July, so prices on accommodation with shoot up then. And I think the weather is better in June than in July too.

1. Dh and I would like to do just one other city/country - for simplicity AND for cost reasons. We're thinking Barcelona. The dc are thinking Paris. We're open and unsure about any other cities - Florence, Milan, Prague, Rome, Greece ... you name it. We don't mind the heat, hence why we've picked the summer. Also, why we live in the tropics, anyway. So any opinions on cities, etc. - please share.

2. If you know of nice places to stay for a family of 4 - anywhere in Europe. I know that Europe hotels are not like hotels elsewhere. Still, I would like it to be clean and nice - and not have to pay an arm and a leg.

3. Any cheap ways of flying from London to the other place in Europe? Or should we take the train?

4. Any tips for traveling and places to stay in the U.K. - we're thinking a few days in London and a few days in Yorkshire (which ds wants to visit) and maybe Wales (where I grew up).

Paris is my vote. Just seems more natural to travel there via boat/train/plane from the UK. But, I'll leave other more experienced travelers to that question. I haven't been to either place in over 20 years. We did go to Rome over the summer with my 3 kids and it was exhausting. So, while it was great and I'm glad we did it, I cannot recommend it as the second leg of a trip because the thought of it wears me out.

My tip for staying in Europe with kids is to try VRBO.com The key is to make sure you get a place with plenty of real reviews. It is great to have a real kitchen too. You can use it not only to eat a cheap breakfast, but to keep picnic supplies on hand for your daily outings -- you'll save a bundle on food.

-Margaret

Negin, I lived in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, for all my teen years. It's between York and Leeds, near the Dales, and very picturesque. I can't give you any specifics about places to stay. except that a bed and breakfast is probably the way to go. Your trip sounds like such fun! My heart will always be in Yorkshire:001_smile:.

1. I love Paris. (I've never been to Barcelona though, so I can't compare.) If it doesn't have to be a city, I highly recommend Provence/Languedoc.

2. We've used the Rick Steves guidebooks in the past to find clean, centrally located B&Bs or hotels that have quad rooms for reasonable prices.

However, now that we are a family of 6, we far prefer to stay in one place for a week and rent a house.

3. Sorry, can't help here. We haven't mixed our UK trips and our mainland Europe trips.

4. We weren't in York very long (two nights and a day en route between Scotland and London), but we really liked the Guide Friday tour, the York Museum, the cathedral, and the city walls. (You can actually walk along the top of the walls. :thumbup:)

We've been to both southern and northern Wales. (I think on both trips the time in Wales was our favorite part.) Lots of castles. The Welsh Museum somewhere outside Cardiff was interesting--especially the row house exhibit. In the north, we stayed at a B&B in Conwy. In the south, we stayed at a B&B with a view of Tintern Abbey.

If you're looking for another place not on your list, I recommend Bath and the surrounding area.

I'd take a look at Budapest, Hungary. In my opinion it's one of the prettiest cities in Europe, it has cheap flights, and unlike Paris, it's very affordable. And from there, you're really not far from Vienna if you want to take an excursion there. However, Vienna isn't a cheap place.

Enroute to Israel last winter, I had a stopover both directions in Amsterdam. It was wonderful! So I put in a vote for Amsterdam.

However, as far as experiences for your children are concerned, Paris is probably the city they would most regret not going to.

It's hard to pick one.....but would go to either Florence or Paris since both are so rich with history and easy to navigate, even with kids....Florence has the advantage of ease getting to other incredible cities on the coast, so you could also do a day of sightseeings/swimming too, like in Pisa.

When I visited Florence, I was 'en residence' - stayed in a private rental through a company called Windows on Tuscany....it was (and still is) less expensive than hotel rooms and you get a villa or apartment. The one I stayed in was literally a couple of blocks from the Duomo, so I'd exit the apartment building and look to my left and there it was, just a couple of blocks down the street.

In the UK I've rented privately through HomeAway.com - again much less expensive than hotels and you stay in an apartment that's fully equipped and in walking distance to the sights.

If you go to Paris, the chunnel is convenient (not cheap) and easier than flying.

Cheap airfare - Ryan Air - just check their baggage restrictions though, they've changed since the last time I was in the UK and I think the limit, if I remember correctly, is pretty low....like one bag or something?

When I've traveled to Europe I usually go for at least two weeks - not sure how long you'll be going....when I do stay at least, I think it's, 17-days minimum, I lease a car since it includes the insurance (which can be as much as the rental on a rental car) and is less expensive than a car rental. Peugot and Suzuki both have lease programs for foreigners - they lease you the car for 17+ days so they can then sell it as a 'used' car to reduce tariffs and taxes for the local buyer.

I can tell you what we enjoyed there. :) PM me? There was a very wide range of things available that would appeal to many differnt tastes.

We had a wonderful time, but I would see if the housing suggestions that others have posted might work, rather than staying in a hotel. Even though we had a reasonably priced hotel, the rooms in all of Spain (Madrid, Valencia, and Barcelona) seemed quite small--too small for 4 to stay in one room comfortably.

Thank you, all. :grouphug:

I've copied and pasted your replies to share with the family later.

Dd wants to go to Paris. Dh and I are more partial to Barcelona.

Ds wants Yorkshire.

I would love to visit South Wales and show the family where I grew up.

My fil wants to come with us, which is always fun. But he wants to do a cruise. Dh and I are not the cruise types.

All of your ideas and tips are so helpful. I wish we could do it all.

If anyone has more to add, please do share. :D

It's pretty cheap to fly with Ryan Air and Easy Jet. You won't find their flights listed on Travelocity (unless things have changed), but you can google search for their web sites or just google search 'cheap flights london to rome' or wherever you want to go.

And if you make it down to Cornwall, let me know. I'll take you out for a cream tea!

Thanks for the great tips, Megan. I visited Cornwall as a child and love those cream teas. :D

Negin, have sent you a pm.

Caroline, you're an absolute angel :grouphug:. Thank you. I will get back to you soon.

Tip #1: Take me with you.

Tip #2: Post a trip report when you get back since you won't be following tip #1.

:lol: :D

Paris is my vote. Just seems more natural to travel there via boat/train/plane from the UK.

My tip for staying in Europe with kids is to try VRBO.com The key is to make sure you get a place with plenty of real reviews. It is great to have a real kitchen too. You can use it not only to eat a cheap breakfast, but to keep picnic supplies on hand for your daily outings -- you'll save a bundle on food.

-Margaret

Thanks, Margaret.

I often wonder about having a kitchen ... I really don't like cooking when on holiday, but having a fridge would definitely be nice. Pretty much all hotels in the Caribbean have fridges. Not so in other places. I don't know if having an entire kitchen would be worth the cost, since I really don't want too cook, but it's worth looking into.

Negin, I lived in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, for all my teen years. It's between York and Leeds, near the Dales, and very picturesque.

I'm familiar with that area and have visited there as well as most of Yorkshire, probably the same time period as when you were there. I was there in the mid 80's. Beautiful and gorgeous.

Yes, B&Bs would be very nice. We often stayed in B&Bs when traveling in Wales as a child.

We've used the Rick Steves guidebooks in the past to find clean, centrally located B&Bs or hotels that have quad rooms for reasonable prices.

However, now that we are a family of 6, we far prefer to stay in one place for a week and rent a house.

If you're looking for another place not on your list, I recommend Bath and the surrounding area.

Melinda, thanks for all the fabulous tips.

I'd take a look at Budapest, Hungary. In my opinion it's one of the prettiest cities in Europe, it has cheap flights, and unlike Paris, it's very affordable. And from there, you're really not far from Vienna if you want to take an excursion there. However, Vienna isn't a cheap place.

Wow, now you've gotten me thinking. Budapest sounds interesting. :D Always wanted to visit Vienna, but the cost has always turned me off.

Enroute to Israel last winter, I had a stopover both directions in Amsterdam. It was wonderful! So I put in a vote for Amsterdam.

However, as far as experiences for your children are concerned, Paris is probably the city they would most regret not going to.

Interesting, since we'll be going to Israel also - that's our whole reason for traveling to that part of the world.

Amsterdam is very nice, I've heard. I went there when I was really small, so I can't remember it much at all.

Yes, I don't think our dd would fully forgive us if we never took her to Paris. And Lord only knows when we'll make it to Europe again. I wish we could do it all. I wish there were package deals where you could visit several places at a reasonable cost, without staying in places that are complete dives, if you KWIM. I don't need to stay in a 5-star resort. But just a little bit of comfort and cleanliness without paying an arm and a leg would be nice.

In the UK I've rented privately through HomeAway.com - again much less expensive than hotels and you stay in an apartment that's fully equipped and in walking distance to the sights.

If you go to Paris, the chunnel is convenient (not cheap) and easier than flying.

Cheap airfare - Ryan Air - just check their baggage restrictions though, they've changed since the last time I was in the UK and I think the limit, if I remember correctly, is pretty low....like one bag or something?

Very helpful tips. I really do appreciate it. This is great.

I can tell you what we enjoyed there. :) PM me?

We had a wonderful time, but I would see if the housing suggestions that others have posted might work, rather than staying in a hotel. Even though we had a reasonably priced hotel, the rooms in all of Spain (Madrid, Valencia, and Barcelona) seemed quite small--too small for 4 to stay in one room comfortably.

Valerie, I will PM you. Thanks.

I would pick Paris over Barcelona. We've been to both and Paris has far more to do and the local transportation was much, much better IMO.

You can't fly Ryanair or Easy Jet from London to Paris though (there's no route). British Airways has a roundtip flight for about $150 per adult though. You can travel via train from London to Paris for about $250 for a family of 4 (this is one way though), so it's about the same price. If you're concerned about your luggage on the flight, most places (train stations and the airports) will have long term storage so you can just take what you need and leave the rest behind. You might want to wait to book your travel tickets to Paris (or Barcelona) until you get to London though, as there are often many travel deals that you can't find on the internet (we've seen one way to Paris from London for about $25/pp each way via plane).

In Paris, we've stayed in the 10th and 11th arrondisment for about $100-120 a night (most recently with 3 adults and 1 child), breakfast included. The hotel wasn't crazy fancy, but it was clean and decent.

I've been to Paris 9 times now (and am going again in 2 weeks) and have loads of info about it. If you're interested, pm me with what you're interested in knowing.

BTW, in London and Paris (or Barcelona) you should get the visitors card with travel. It will save you a BUNDLE and get you in separate entrances at some attractions so you don't have to wait in line (I know in Paris the Louvre, Musse D'Orsay and Versailles all have separate entrances, but there are more).

She did a whirlwind tour of the UK this year - she might have some good ideas. As far as I remember, she booked B&Bs in advance, hired a car, and visited Stonehenge, Bath, Chepstow, Oxford, Stratford, York, then up to Scotland. She was in Paris before that.

I personally recommend York Minster and walking through The Shambles if you are going to Yorkshire: they give a little bit of a feel for medieval life. I don't recommend the Yorvik Museum (although others like it) - I thought it had a tacky, tired, end-of-the-pier air to it. The boys enjoyed 'A Murder For Her Majesty', which is set in York.

Some things that might have changed since you were here: long-distance train tickets are extremely expensive if you just turn up at the station and buy. If you can plan in advance and book (online or at a station) you will get much cheaper prices. You will also be able to reserve seats for free (the trains are very overcrowded on some routes). Also remember that it might be worth getting a Friends and Family railcard, even for a short trip.

Best wishes

Laura

Next June or July, we may be heading

. :)

Howdy,

We are planning a trip for a family of 5 later this year. So for us, we are trying to stay in one place at least 4 days so that we can rent a flat, apartment, gite ( whatever it is called in the country) because the difference in cost is absolutely amazing. It looks like our one night in Paris is going to cost what 4 nights in Normandy in a gite will cost. I get tired of eating out all the time, so I do want a kitchen. It will make a big difference in our cost.

As far as getting from London to Europe...we are doing London to Paris. If you get your tickets from Eurostar early enough, and don't mind traveling early it is ok. I'm looking at 168 dollars for the 5 of us!! I can't buy my tickets yet because I think you can't be more than 90 days out, but at 90 days I'm buying them as they get more expensive the closer you get. Another option for us is for 20 pounds each we could take the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen ( I think that's the port, my dh is still asleep where my info is) But by the time we pay for the train from London plus a night there, I think doing the Eurostar is better.

We are doing our trip like this: 4 nights in London, 1 night in Paris, 4 nights in Normandy, 1 night??, 4 nights near Cochem, Germany. I think, especially with children that it is better to have a home base for several nights rather than going to a different place every single day. Dh and i did that when we went to Europe before we had kids 20 years ago, but I think it would be way too tiring now.

Christine

Christine

Tower of London was the best thing I saw in London. It was a little pricey, but well worth it. If your interested in visiting more of the historic castles, check out www.hrp.org.uk. You can get a family pass for all of the castles just a little more than a day pass at the Tower.

We flew Air Berlin from Germany to England and it was very cheap and good service. I think it was about $50/roundtrip.

If you book a family room at a hotel, be prepared. The rooms are teeny-tiny. We had two not quite twin size beds and bunkbeds in our room in Frankfurt, but it was clean and nice. Not terribly expensive.

1. Dh and I would like to do just one other city/country - for simplicity AND for cost reasons. We're thinking Barcelona. The dc are thinking Paris. We're open and unsure about any other cities - Florence, Milan, Prague, Rome, Greece ... you name it. We don't mind the heat, hence why we've picked the summer. Also, why we live in the tropics, anyway. So any opinions on cities, etc. - please share.I would stay in the UK--there's soooo much to see and do, and you won't lose time traveling.

2. If you know of nice places to stay for a family of 4 - anywhere in Europe. I know that Europe hotels are not like hotels elsewhere. Still, I would like it to be clean and nice - and not have to pay an arm and a leg. We absolutely LOVED The Blades B&B in the Pimlico area of London. Lovely service, has a few family sized rooms, generous breakfast, and just steps from both the bus and the tube. Also had a fabulous experience with Cott Farm in Dartmouth--lovely working farm B&B not far outside of picturesque Dartmouth. Tons to do in that area. Wonderful service and large rooms with attached baths.

3. Any cheap ways of flying from London to the other place in Europe? Or should we take the train? Look into Ryan Air.

4. Any tips for traveling and places to stay in the U.K. - we're thinking a few days in London and a few days in Yorkshire (which ds wants to visit) and maybe Wales (where I grew up). Hearty recommendation for you to do the Tower of London tour--it's my favorite tour, EVER. Another recommendation is to eat at the pubs--the food is good; the prices are reasonable.

:)

One place to check out for inexpensive lodging in the middle of London during the summer is at one of the universities. We stayed at one (of course the name completely evades me at the moment - oh, DH just told me it was King's College in Kensington) a few years ago and it was super inexpensive, plus it included a full breakfast. We were close to the Underground and felt very safe. I have very fond memories of that summer.

Ryan Air and Easy Jet are wonderful. I vote for Greece - so much history!!!!

Once again, thank you all. I've copied and pasted all your really helpful responses to share with the rest of the family later. :)

So far, it looks like this time around, it will be Israel, the UK, and Paris. We would love to do Barcelona also, but cost and time are factors.

Once again, thank you all. I've copied and pasted all your really helpful responses to share with the rest of the family later. :)

So far, it looks like this time around, it will be Israel, the UK, and Paris. We would love to do Barcelona also, but cost and time are factors.

I'll let you know if I have any tips. We'll just be there for a couple of days on our way to Normandy.

Laura

For accomodation in the UK try the youth hostel Association. Also worth looking at offers in Travelodge or Premier inn, they have lots of cheap room offers. Premier Inn tends to be slightly nicer rooms.

I live in Devon and its definitely worth a trip down to the westcountry at that time of year, its beautiful. Dorset could also be great place to visit, particularly the Charmouth area.

Travel wise you could try National Express coaches, Its massively cheaper than trains. They do also go into Europe not just around the UK.

Lots of Pubs do 2 meals for £5, or there abouts. The Wetherspoons chain do nice generous meals that would feed a family cheaply.

Edited by lailasmum

I'll let you know if I have any tips. We'll just be there for a couple of days on our way to Normandy.

Laura

Laura, how lovely.

Yes, please do share, if you remember.

For accomodation in the UK try the youth hostel Association. Also worth looking at offers in Travelodge or Premier inn, they have lots of cheap room offers. Premier Inn tends to be slightly nicer rooms.

I live in Devon and its definitely worth a trip down to the westcountry at that time of year, its beautiful. Dorset could also be great place to visit, particularly the Charmouth area.

Travel wise you could try National Express coaches, Its massively cheaper than trains. They do also go into Europe not just around the UK.

Lots of Pubs do 2 meals for £5, or there abouts. The Wetherspoons chain do nice generous meals that would feed a family cheaply.

Thank you, this is wonderful. :)