Menu

LOF fractions or MM fractions????

mothergooseof4

Ds is working through TT6 and having issues remembering how to convert mixed numbers to improper fractions and back again. Also, he forgets everyday that he needs to find a common denominator before adding or subtracting fractions. Once reminded, he can proceed.

He can multiply them with no problem since you just do the multiplication. But, is getting very frustrated with fractions otherwise. Dh and I have both worked numerous problems with him and he still forgets...EVERYDAY!!! I think it boils down to not really understanding what fractions are and yes, we have drawn little pies and discussed that the numerator is how many you have and the denominator is how many makes a whole.

So, I have LOF Fractions sitting on the shelf. I also bought the whole package of MM during the coop discount in the fall. So, I can print out the fractions blue book. I just can't decide which one would help him really understand this. LOF would be fun and probably get less complaints, but I am afraid the "fun" will be all he gets out of it.

Anybody used both and can help me choose???

My daughter went about 1/2 way through LOF Fractions, and is now working through MM Dark Blue Fractions....she is retaining and really understanding fractions MUCH better with the MM. LOF *was* fun and cute, but the lack of practice and review really hurt her ability to retain the information.

• 5 months later...

My son is on chapter 27 of LOF fractions, and I am also a former elementary school teacher. I'm impressed with LOF, but I think it should just be used as a supplement. There is too much curriculum compaction, and the author seems to rely on traditional algorithms, without enough conceptual undertstanding. I think the other posters' suggestion about using both programs sound like good ideas. You could aslo supplement with Right Start. Here's more about our experience with LOF Fractions: http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/06/too-many-algorithims-in-life-of-fred/

Ds is working through TT6 and having issues remembering how to convert mixed numbers to improper fractions and back again. Also, he forgets everyday that he needs to find a common denominator before adding or subtracting fractions. Once reminded, he can proceed.

He can multiply them with no problem since you just do the multiplication. But, is getting very frustrated with fractions otherwise. Dh and I have both worked numerous problems with him and he still forgets...EVERYDAY!!! I think it boils down to not really understanding what fractions are and yes, we have drawn little pies and discussed that the numerator is how many you have and the denominator is how many makes a whole.

So, I have LOF Fractions sitting on the shelf. I also bought the whole package of MM during the coop discount in the fall. So, I can print out the fractions blue book. I just can't decide which one would help him really understand this. LOF would be fun and probably get less complaints, but I am afraid the "fun" will be all he gets out of it.

Anybody used both and can help me choose???

we used both this year and it went okay, but we are still struggling with the common denominator thing. He fully understands it but doesn't always get when to use it. I think it's a time and practice thing.

If you want your son to actually have instruction in the area of fractions then go with MM. You can always use LoF as a fun supplement. It's not that the fun gets in the way of the instruction, it's that there is no real instruction.

That said, I don't particularly like MM either. For difficulties with fractions, I generally recommend MUS.

My older son used MM 5 fractions section (MM4 didn't cover everything), and LoF for extra fun, as a supplement to the fractions in TT7. Definitely use the MM for the instruction - its excellent. Filled in where TT didn't and for us LoF doesn't give him enough practice - but he loves it and school books that are loved are used in this house, just not always as the spine!!!

The MM book just on fractions is probably perfect, we have the light blue series, so pick and choose between levels with the kids not doing straight MM.

Erin

If you want your son to actually have instruction in the area of fractions then go with MM. You can always use LoF as a fun supplement. It's not that the fun gets in the way of the instruction, it's that there is no real instruction.

That said, I don't particularly like MM either. For difficulties with fractions, I generally recommend MUS.

Update:

Ds worked through MM Fractions 1. He hated it and I can't say he retained anything from it. A month after completing it, he was still making the same mistakes when he came across fractions in TT. We were constantly reworking most of his problems in MM, it still didn't help even with me sitting there explaining it over and over.

I then handed him LoF. He likes it, but doesn't really learn anything from it. It was just fun. We quite after a few chapters and he has done Key to Fractions since then. He is doing okay with it, but I also have bought MUS Epsilon. He is taking a break from TT and will work through Epsilon and Key to Fractions for a while. Hopefully, this will fix our issues.