Menu

What to make for a vegetarian guest?

We're hosting family for Christmas dinner and will have a couple of vegetarians and I'm looking for some ideas on what to make that would work for them since, well, we're more a meat-veggie house.

The dietary restriction includes no nuts of any kind - peanut or tree nut (anaphalactic allergy - sic?) and no dairy (lactose intolerance)....so I'm a bit stumped.

Help! :bigear:

Vegetable side dishes of different kinds. Wild rice with cranberries. Pasta with veggies. A couple of salads.

When I cook for many people, only the main dish is meat - everything else is suitable for vegetarians. None of them ever minded not being able to partake in the main dish.

Just be careful to leave out all dairy for your allergic guests.

This is one of my favorite recipes--it's wonderfully flavorful and hearty, and would go great with naan or pita bread--you could start with salad and a fruit & veggie platter (with hummus, mmm!).

Chop/puree 2 onions, 2 cloves garlic, 2t ginger, set aside.

Heat 1/4 c oil in saucepan, add 1t turmeric, 2 T paprika and heat until oil is colored and spices are heated (30sec.).

Add onion puree, sauté until golden, add approx 2 c washed lentils (any color), add 1 c chopped carrots, sauté to get flavors going, add a bunch of water or stock (I use veggie bouillon). Boil and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 min. Add water if necessary. No added salt necessary if using bouillon.

Plant-based foods. :)

Seriously, there are so many vegetarian blogs and sites with ideas I think you should start with a google search and go from there. I would make some nut-free dairy-free bread, a huge green salad, some baked or roasted veggies, a rice dish (in case they don't/can't eat the bread after all) a fruity dessert and maybe a veggie soup. Make sure you have PLENTY of the veggie dishes though, because EVERYone eats them not just the vegetarians.

Rice with veggies (stir fry style without the eggs)

Pasta primavera (bow tie pasta with diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, olives, etc.)

Veggie soup

You might also find out if they eat eggs, because many bread products contain them.

I would avoid buying "not-cheese" unless you are familiar with which brands actually taste good..because some are disgusting.

Vegetable side dishes of different kinds. Wild rice with cranberries. Pasta with veggies. A couple of salads.

When I cook for many people, only the main dish is meat - everything else is suitable for vegetarians. None of them ever minded not being able to partake in the main dish.

Just be careful to leave out all dairy for your allergic guests.

:iagree: With the dairy allergy, you're looking at nearly vegan recipes, which can get a little tricky for a hostess with a lot of people to feed. I'm a vegetarian, and I can almost always choose from sides and the earlier appetizers to round out a great, balanced meal. So, consider making the pasta salad or veggie tray for the appetizers, but don't put them away at dinner. Stuffing and rice dishes can be made without chicken broth (use vegetable), and with the potatoes, just take some out and blend them with olive oil in addition to the big pot with butter & milk, etc. I don't think you need to knock yourself out making two main dishes; often times, my plate is full to overflowing without them, and I'm full and happy just to be a part of the party. :)

There are lots of easy sides to prepare, like the ideas already mentioned. Could you ask them to bring one or two of their favorite dishes for everyone to try? They'd probably be happy to. Many people have special foods that they consider "essential" for holiday meals. When I am a guest, I always ask if I can bring something.

This looks good. I made sweet potato/black bean tacos once and the combo is very good. This is sweet potato/black bean stew and could easily fit on a holiday table I think.

http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-potato-stew-with-orange-juice-and-black-beans-36381

Ohhhhh. that looks good and it's a "wintery" dish too!

-----------------------

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

They do eat eggs - it's mainly hitting recipies that looks great until I hit the milk or yogurt in it, or the cheese, or the nuts that seems to make this harder than it probably is.

I'll keep looking around some more too.....all tips though are appreciated!