Menu

Elizabeth Smart Case over: Mitchell Guilty

I'm only a year older than Elizabeth, and I'm LDS too, so I remember her story very well. I was so excited when she was found alive that I cried. I'm very happy for her family that Mitchell was found guilty and I'm at home by myself right now, so I just needed to share with someone. YAY!

I'm only a year older than Elizabeth, and I'm LDS too, so I remember her story very well. I was so excited when she was found alive that I cried. I'm very happy for her family that Mitchell was found guilty and I'm at home by myself right now, so I just needed to share with someone. YAY!

I completely agree.

Wow! You are young! :tongue_smilie:

I can't believe this is just now going to trial. I haven't kept up with it....why did it take so long? Because he was 'insane' and unable to stand trial?

What a sicko.

I can't believe this is just now going to trial. I haven't kept up with it....why did it take so long? Because he was 'insane' and unable to stand trial?

yeah, pretty much. The AP is stating this way "To the chagrin of the family, the case was delayed for years after Mitchell was declared mentally incompetent to stand trial in state court and a judge refused to order involuntary medications.

Federal prosecutors later stepped in and took the case to trial."

-crystal

We have several distant connections to the Smart family, ie., her aunt is our pediatrician, and have followed this very carefully. My heart was in my throat when I heard on the radio this morning that the jury had come back with a verdict but hadn't read it yet. I just cried and cried when I heard that they found him guilty. The jury deliberated about 4 hours last night, then came back with the verdict after only 30 minutes more this morning. Most commentators here in Utah think they made their decision last night but then decided to sleep on it.

Unfortunately, sentencing won't be for several months, but I just pray that he gets the maximum penalty - he truly is evil incarnate.

While watching this trial unfold over the last several weeks, I have been so impressed and inspired by with the poise and dignity with which Elizabeth has conducted herself. She is an amazing girl and I wish her the best. My greatest hope for her is that after his sentencing, we don't know anything about her life - that she can just move on, continue to grow up and have a happy life in anonymity.

I was reading about this recently and horrified at her (Smart's) testimony of what she went through every day after her disappearance.

Someone said "evil incarnate," I was thinking the same thing as I read the story, and wondered ... would they say insane or deliberate act?

He will get what he deserves later as well.

My greatest hope for her is that after his sentencing, we don't know anything about her life - that she can just move on, continue to grow up and have a happy life in anonymity.

I hope so. France is generally considered one of the most difficult missions, but I bet she loves not being recognized all the time.