Menu

Cinnamon ornaments--advice from those who've done them needed

I am planning on making a large number of cinnamon ornaments tonight as gifts.

Online, I've seen most recipes use just cinnamon and applesauce. Others add glue. If you've made both, did the glue help it to last longer? How did the glue affect it overall?

I am planning on baking these to dry them. If you did the baking method, what temp did you use?

Any other advice?

Online, I've seen most recipes use just cinnamon and applesauce. Others add glue. If you've made both, did the glue help it to last longer? How did the glue affect it overall?

I am planning on baking these to dry them. If you did the baking method, what temp did you use?

Any other advice?

I have never done this but my oldest dd has and she did not use any glue. The ones that she gave me, maybe 15 yrs ago, are still hanging in there.

She just air dried them. I would maybe use a dehydrator if you have one as the oven may be to warm and they might dry out to fast? Again, I haven't done it though.;)

We did them roughly 15 years ago, using just the cinnamon and applesauce, left to air-dry. We've stored them in ziplock bags in a tin (for the rigidity and protection) and they've held up well. They still smell very good.

One word of warning---don't put them out to dry on a marble surface without something under them. I have a turn-around/lazy susan made out of marble that I used to dry some of the ornaments and it became permanently etched in the shape of the ornaments. I don't know if it would harm any other type of counter surface, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Any other advice?

I've never made these but I just thought I would share that we made cinnamon stick ornaments the other day and they were so easy and came out so cute! I got the idea from this video. You can use any kind of wire and ribbon you want. I bought the cinnamon sticks in bulk on amazon.

My mom brought this dough over a while ago to make with my dd's. It was just cinnamon & applesauce, no glue. We let them air dry, and it took about two weeks. :glare: I had them color on some details with paint pens, not enough to cover it but just a little color. They came out great!

Thanks, everyone! We made them tonight. I hope they turn out okay. The dough was really wet and we kept adding cinnamon to make it workable. We didn't add glue. We cut them pretty thick. Since I needed to leave them overnight (we did them at work), we weighted them down so they wouldn't curl up and then when we're there during the day, I guess we'll try the baking method. (We sure don't have 2 weeks to let them dry--they need to be ready by Sunday). Crossing my fingers!