Menu

So I know I'm overthinking this

And it's something I cycle back to frequently.

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blMN.htm

I live in MN. Reporting is from 7-16. My DD turns 7- this spring. I didn't report her before Oct. 1 for this year. Do I need to declare her mid-year, or just for the beginning of next year?:confused:

I BELIEVE if they turn (whatever compulsory school age is) AFTER your school district's cut-off date for that school year, you don't have to report them til the following year.

So, like, here the cut off date is September 1st. My son's birthday is November 7th. So he'll turn 8 (compulsory school age here) in November of 2013. I won't file for him until the following school year (a few months before he turns 9).

Which is to say I do not think you need to worry about this year. Just file for her next year. She wasn't of compulsory school age when this school year started and I REALLY don't think you have to report in the middle or end of the year.

Edited by NanceXToo

I did report my dd in February after her 7th birthday, but I also stop reporting my children mid-year or whenever they turn 16. If your dd turns 7 late in the spring, I wouldn't worry about testing or report cards, but I would send in a MACHE reporting form when she turns 7.

http://www.mache.org for information

and

http://www.mache.org/public_files/Compulsory_Reporting_Form_2010-2011.pdf

for the reporting form

HTH

And it's something I cycle back to frequently.

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blMN.htm

I live in MN. Reporting is from 7-16. My DD turns 7- this spring. I didn't report her before Oct. 1 for this year. Do I need to declare her mid-year, or just for the beginning of next year?:confused:

I lived in MN up until 5 years ago and homeschooled and when my ds turned 7 in May, I waited until Oct. 1 of the next fall to declare. It was what my district told me to do so that's what I did and there was no trouble.

But, each school district is different! Ours was great working with homeschoolers and very, very helpful. The next district over was a little less so. I would ask, just to let them know you're thinking about it and want to comply.

I BELIEVE if they turn (whatever compulsory school age is) AFTER your school district's cut-off date for that school year, you don't have to report them til the following year.

So, like, here the cut off date is September 1st. My son's birthday is November 7th. So he'll turn 8 (compulsory school age here) in November of 2013. I won't file for him until the following school year (a few months before he turns 9).

Which is to say I do not think you need to worry about this year. Just file for her next year. She wasn't of compulsory school age when this school year started and I REALLY don't think you have to report in the middle or end of the year.

:iagree: It works the same way here. Cut off is 6 years old by Sept. 30. Dd7 didn't turn 6 until late Oct, so I didn't need to notify I was homeschooling until the following year. I did notify a year earlier than that, though, just to make myself feel accountable. But I wouldn't do it mid-year unless I had taken her out of school or had moved to another state.

But, each school district is different! Ours was great working with homeschoolers and very, very helpful. The next district over was a little less so. I would ask, just to let them know you're thinking about it and want to comply.

Go by state law, not what the school district says. School districts like to make up their own "law."

I'm in MN - there should be a person in the district who receives the reporting forms. If you call, they'll steer you to that person.

You do not need to report if your child turns 7 after the Oct. 1 deadline. However, many families will do it if their child turns 7 before Jan. 1st of that school year - not sure the reasoning, but I'm sure each family's reason may differ.

Consensus seems kind of split! Who at the district level would I call- and is there any standing to report this year, but not test?

:bigear:

If you report this year, you will also have to comply with all homeschooling laws in your state, including whatever kind of record keeping or end of year assessment is required.

I would not report just to avoid harrassment or trouble...you might bring on more trouble. What if they ask why you didn't report her already, or that you should have? What if they want to see records for the whole year? (what if your state law requires you keep records and you didn't?)

If you do want to call and ask, call the superintendent's office. But then again, like someone else said, some districts like to make up their own "rules" so it's better to go by state law.

Here, the state Department of Education has a homeschool liason that we can call and check with if on things we may be in disagreement with our districts over... do you have something like that? maybe you can find out?

In our state, you report at the beginning of the school year when the child is 7 years old on the first day of that school year. So a child with a spring birthday would report at the beginning of the next school year.

That said, I completely forgot to report that my middle son is homeschooled. I just sent them a letter when I remembered, which was in May. I didn't get anything from the school other than the standard compliance letter.

Cat

Consensus seems kind of split! Who at the district level would I call- and is there any standing to report this year, but not test?

:bigear:

My vote: Report next fall; test the following spring. Test scores from before she was compulsory school age (7yo by October 1) would not need to be reported.

Generally, when a date is given, it means to report for that school year, not the months preceeding the cut-off date. IOW, a child who was 7 in November would not be compulsory school age until the following school year. A child who turned 7 in May would be compulsory school age in the fall of that same calendar year. Clear as mud? :D

If you're an HSLDA member, you could just call and ask. I'd trust their advice more than the advice of a school official. Really.

My vote: Report next fall; test the following spring. Test scores from before she was compulsory school age (7yo by October 1) would not need to be reported.

Generally, when a date is given, it means to report for that school year, not the months preceeding the cut-off date. IOW, a child who was 7 in November would not be compulsory school age until the following school year. A child who turned 7 in May would be compulsory school age in the fall of that same calendar year. Clear as mud? :D

If you're an HSLDA member, you could just call and ask. I'd trust their advice more than the advice of a school official. Really.

I'm not a member, but this was clear. I think I'll report her next year. :)

We called HSLDA as well as MHFA last year- we were probably even more persnickety since dd turned 7 May 30th :tongue_smilie: Their consensus was that if it's after the deadline then it's up to the family since the law is vague. I figured since we were practically into summer we'd be safe waiting...many said personally that is what they would choose as well.

I wouldn't have minded sending in the reporting form, but it was nice to wait that extra year for testing...mostly for my benefit as I tend to be a worrywart :)