Menu

Designer Handbags

I don't get it, either. My winter purse (during the summer, I don't have to carry my son's inhaler and therefore don't use a purse) is small and denim. It holds my wallet, keys, phone, and the inhaler. I got it at Target for around $10. Some of my friends have Coach purses, and they do seem to hold up really well, but I can't fathom spending the cash on something I would never use. One person I know has TWELVE Coach bags and breaks them out only on special nights. I can't imagine.

All that being said, I do have a knock-off Prada that a friend of mine brought back from his trip to China :D

Week I do buy very nice purses and I would be really offended and upset if someone thought it was their business to disapprove of how I spend my money. I have bought them when I can afford it and they are my treat. :)

I am like Mom in High Heels in that I LOVE the beautiful soft leather. I have a black leather Coach that feels like butter, a brown leather Coach that looks better and better the more I use it and a gorgeous shiny fingernail-polish red Dooney that is perfect. Those are my favorite leathers. The only initial type purse I have is a Louis Vitton that my husband bought for me because he liked it. ;) He would also be such a purse girl if he were a girl! LOL

I love my purses. I DO NOT drop them on a dirty floor (any floor at that) or get crumbs in them. I enjoy them very much and change purses about every few days. :)

I don't know. I find the ones that scream the designer name all over it as the main design to be tacky.

:iagree: When I see that, I think back to the 80's (my jr-high/high school days) when having the right kind of designer label on your butt was de rigeur. To me, the whole idea of wearing the label name all over something seems juvenile -- like jr. high & high school. It doesn't seem terribly sophisticated at all. IME, sophisticated people have more confidence than to need someone else's name all over them.

Edited by Audrey

Huh. Well, each to their own, I always say.

For me, I have no clue as to what is designer or what isn't. I want a bag that will hold I need to bring along, sling nicely over my shoulder and that I can find things easily in without having to dig around. I like them to be black so that they go with everything. I wear a lot of black.

Currently, I am happily carrying one I purchased at WalMart 7 years ago for $10. It is holding up well and still looks great, so I am good with it. Before that, I carried one for 10 years that I had purchased at the Goodwill Store for $2.00.

I really don't care how someone else spends their money, but I can tell you that many woman have given my bag that 'look' that says, "you carry crap". Personally, I don't like the designer bags or I'd probably purchase them. I get what I like. It's funny to hear so many of you complain about those that would disparage how you spend your money, but many do the same in reverse to those of us who don't wish to carry designer bags.

I really don't care how someone else spends their money, but I can tell you that many woman have given my bag that 'look' that says, "you carry crap". Personally, I don't like the designer bags or I'd probably purchase them. I get what I like. It's funny to hear so many of you complain about those that would disparage how you spend your money, but many do the same in reverse to those of us who don't wish to carry designer bags.

That's the pits. I love my nice bags but I would never notice, think or comment on what someone else carries. I seldom notice anyone else's bags. I like what I like because I like it. Truly a "to each his own" topic to me. :)

For me, I have no clue as to what is designer or what isn't. I

This is true for me, too. I couldn't identify most handbags if my life depended on it. I saw a Dooney & Burke yesterday but I only knew it was because it said so!

To further illustrate my cluelessness: A while back I was chatting with a girlfriend who always looks so cute - but is a real bargain hunter and sometimes buys cheap stuff for "bling". She had on a watch with a wide red leather band that she told me she got at Walmart. A couple of weeks later I saw someone else wearing a similar watch, and I blurted out, "Oh, did you get that at Walmart?" Oops. She was totally offended and said, "No, it's a (whatever designer)".

I like "designer" handbags, well in reality I like nice leather, well made, cute, potentially trendy but a trend that will return infinitely, and I would love a closet full. I do spend a decent amount of money on my bags and they last forever even with rough usage. I also love that leather is cleanable and if it's dark it's pretty much stain proof.

I have no problem spending money on the bags when I can afford it and I am really happy that other people do so. I am completely obsessed (well not completely but at least some of my free thought time. :)) with couture bags and the craftsmanship that goes into some of them.

If I had the cash, I would buy tons and use them constantly. I use my bags in a hardcore fashion and usually have at least three staple packed bags going at a time, one for work, one for personal, one for going out kidless even if going out is just to the library. (just switch the wallet, phone and keys)

I personally don't buy synthetic bags for knock-offs and I don't really care about the label per se but buying a vintage handmade hermes bag is completely on my dream list!

I understand if the bag isn't in your budget, heck they aren't in mine, but I totally relate to buying them.

And now I am in love with Saddleback Leather, sturdy and functional but would still be cute with a jeans/boot outfit...hmm....Christmas list for next year? :D

I really don't care how someone else spends their money, but I can tell you that many woman have given my bag that 'look' that says, "you carry crap".

It's no reflection on you.

People who intentionally try to make others feel inferior because they don't carry a certain handbag or drive a certain car, probably have some personal issues. They're allowing the value of their personal possessions to determine their own self-worth, and they only feel good about themselves when they have "better stuff" than someone else.

I buy what I want because I want it, not because I'm wondering if so-and-so will be impressed or envious. The truth is, I don't care either way. Personally, I get uncomfortable when it feels like someone is adding up the value of my stuff in their head. It's kind of creepy.

Cat

I'm another one who can't identify a bag unless it has the designer's initials plastered all over it! LOL I get my bags from TJMaxx and Ross. I guess I am probably carrying outdated bags!

A few days ago, a girl in my A&P class was carrying a very cute bag. I complimented her on it and asked her if she picked it up at GAP (it looked just like a bag that GAP had carried over the summer and I purchased it, just in a different color). Anyway, she gave me the side eye :glare: and muttered, "Uh...it's a Dooney & Bourke." Oops. :001_huh:

I hear people make comments about mothers on WIC all the time. I don't get it, and I don't think that it is very fair. I don't want to hijack the thread; that comment just really jumped out at me.

I can definitely see the points made about an expensive well-made bag lasting for *years.*

But designer bags is not a path I can go down. I'm a collector. Next thing you know I'd know everything about bags. I'd be on ebay all the time--if not actively shopping, then watching to see which ones go up in value and which ones go down. I'd obsess over the new collections. It would end in the financial ruination of my family. :)

I know my limits.

I just bought whatever for purses until I found one of these Levenger leather book bags at a gargage sale for $1. It was still in good condition--just nicely worn in.

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=11-843|Level=2-3|pageid=5998

Wow!! Best garage sale find ever! That is really lovely.

For me, I have no clue as to what is designer or what isn't. I
This is true for me, too. I couldn't identify most handbags if my life depended on it. I saw a Dooney & Burke yesterday but I only knew it was because it said so!

:D Me too. I never even heard of Dooney & Burke until I read this thread. I have heard the words Coach and Prada but didn't know they brands of bags.:tongue_smilie: I do love soft leather and things that last forever. Maybe someday I'll give it a try, give up my free hospital diaper bag (Similac brand :lol:) and spend more than $25 on a purse. Once my dd spend $40 on a purse and I thought it was a lot to spend on a bag.:tongue_smilie: That doesn't mean I care if others spend their money on expensive bags or anything thing else, if I had the disposable income for such purchases I might do so as well. :)

Personally, I'd never buy a designer bag (except possibly if I could get it for $2 at a charity shop and sell it on eBay for $200 lol). I buy one bag, the cheapest I can find that will fit my bits and pieces in, and keep it until it wears out. I couldn't be bothered to have more than one, and have to decide which one to take somewhere. (I'm also curious, do people with lots of bags buy multiples of everything and have stuff in every bag, or do you have to empty it out and transfer all your stuff to the next back whenever you change bags?)

But, I can imagine why it might be a good buy for some people. If your appreciation of the designer bags is such that every day you hold it, look at it, and feel joyful that you have it, and it lifts your mood, then why not? Most people have some luxury product or service that really makes them feel good and is worth paying big bucks for.

Edited by Hotdrink

Idk.

My mil loves coach bags though. She says hey last forever and if they do have a problem, you can send them in to be repaired for free for life.

Now to me, she says that and I think, great! So you only need one for life.

To which she rolls her eyes at me.