Menu

Do you buy gift cards to use YOURSELF?

I have noticed that many places are offering deals and specials if you buy a gift card.

Things like a $5 gift card as a bonus when you buy a $20 gift card or a free meal when you buy $20 in gift cards, etc.

I was thinking about buying some for our OWN use to places that we would typically go anyway. After all, why not enjoy the extra $5 or free meal if we would go to those places during the year anyway.

Yes, I do. At Costco you can gift cards for less than the face value. I think it's a 10% or 20% discount. And, right now my grocery store is giving extra points for gift card purchases. You get a coupon off of groceries quarterly for your points. Last quarter I got a $34 coupon off groceries.:)

We buy iTunes gift cards at Sam's because they have a discount on them. LAst weekend we bought a bunch because with their "Black Friday" sales and their regular discount it worked out to be a really good deal! That way, I don't have a credit card linked with my iTunes account so I can't go crazy, but I have money available when I need it. We've been using our iPad more for school apps so it's good to be able to get them when I want. And then, when Bon Jovi comes out with a new album, you know, the money is there. :D

Absolutely! Although I did get some weird looks when I bought a gift card at AMC Cinemas and then turned around and used it to buy our tickets. But for a $10 gift card, I'll ignore the looks.

I think this is smart, too.

But some places give the "free" gift cards with restrictions...like only for use between Jan-Feb.

I have noticed that many places are offering deals and specials if you buy a gift card.

Things like a $5 gift card as a bonus when you buy a $20 gift card or a free meal when you buy $20 in gift cards, etc.

I was thinking about buying some for our OWN use to places that we would typically go anyway. After all, why not enjoy the extra $5 or free meal if we would go to those places during the year anyway.

Yep, I've thought about it...starting with Starbucks. :D