Menu

s/o good breakfast recipes?

At our house we have the regular breakfast rotation of oatmeal, scrambled eggs and toast, pancakes, french toast. Rinse. Repeat.

I need some new ideas for picky eaters who dislike tomatoes and beans (out go the egg/bean burritos I was planning).

I don't mind if they're a little more labor intensive--I love yummy healthy breakfasts and would love to make something new and fun for my kids.

Ideas?

Edited by Halcyon

Here's a recipe we all like that I make probably three times a week:

Take a big pan. Throw in some olive oil. Add some cut-up onion and even mushrooms if your kids will eat them. Toss in a bit of frozen chopped spinach. Cook awhile. Crack a few eggs and top off with your favorite cheese.

My little guy won't eat beans or tomatoes either. Ha. More for me! I keep a big container of pureed black beans in my fridge, which I'll heat up for myself to add with the eggs, all topped off with salsa sauce.

Breakfast *salad* goes well with the above, too: cut-up tomatoes, onion, raw garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and garlic (whatever's handy) -- basically a salsa.

Another thing I really like lately is unsweetened cranberry juice.

For good measure, sometimes I'll toss in a piece of toast.

As you can see, I am not a dainty eater!

:D

I totally recommend Breakfast Rice. You can use leftover rice, or cook the rice ahead of time, or cook it that morning. You can use any kind of rice. It's so flexible; decide how many servings you want and cook them up all in the same pot at the same time. It's rather oatmealy in texture and taste. My kids love this--one will eat anything, one is much more, uh, discerning.

BREAKFAST RICE

per serving:

3/4 to 1 cup cooked brown rice (freshly made or leftover, either one)

2/3 c. milk

1 T. brown sugar

1/4 t. cinnamon

fresh blueberries, strawberries, or other fruit of your choice

In a small saucepan, combine rice, milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy. (Mine seems to take more than 10 mins.)

Remove from heat, pour into bowl, and serve topped with fruit.

(Recipe originally called for white rice, but my kids were happy with brown, and hey, it's a better choice than white rice anyway.)

Edited by Kristine out of lurking
ETA: leftover rice is fine!

When I fix crepes, it's usually for lunch or dinner, but I know a lot of people like them for breakfast too.

My recipe makes 8 crepes, each using about 1/4 cup of batter.

1/4 cup dry nonfat milk powder

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup flour

2 eggs

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 tbs butter plus extra butter for the skillet

Mix all ingredients except the butter. Put 1 1/2 tbs butter in the nonstick (very important that it's nonstick) skillet to melt. When the butter has melted, pour it into the batter and do a final stir. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet. When the top looks like it has started to dry, flip it over. I usually cook until there are a few brown spots on the bottom and then flip it over for a few more seconds so the other side will get a few brown spots as well.

My 12yo likes them with powdered sugar sprinkled on top. I prefer to put salami inside and double it over.

How about scones? The best recipes use butter and cream. If you have a food processor they can be mixed in less than 10 minutes and they are very versatile--you can add whatever mixins (dried fruit, choc chips, etc) you have on hand.

We also like Wild Rice Porridge. Basically you just cook some wild rice, then add some cream, maple syrup and craisins. Top with chopped pecans. Very, very yummy.

My eldest daughter's favorite breakfast is the following: take a baked potato, scoop out some of the filling. Add a little butter, chopped ham (or sausage or bacon), green onions to the bottom of the potato. Crack an egg into the shell of the potato. Bake at 350 till set. Top with shredded cheese.

Hope you get some new ideas that will work for your family. :001_smile:

I totally recommend Breakfast Rice. You can use leftover rice, or cook the rice ahead of time, or cook it that morning. You can use any kind of rice. It's so flexible; decide how many servings you want and cook them up all in the same pot at the same time. It's rather oatmealy in texture and taste. My kids love this--one will eat anything, one is much more, uh, discerning.

BREAKFAST RICE

per serving:

3/4 to 1 cup cooked brown rice

2/3 c. milk

1 T. brown sugar

1/4 t. cinnamon

In a small saucepan, combine rice, milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy. (Mine seems to take more than 10 mins.)

(Recipe originally called for white rice, but my kids were happy with brown, and hey, it's a better choice than white rice anyway.)

This sounds DELICIOUS! Our rice cooker takes 1 1/2 hours to make brown rice, so I'd need to do it the night before, but this looks worth it! :)

Our favorite are breakfast burritos made with seasoned fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, grated cheddar cheese, and sour cream. We'll actually have them for any meal.

I've been known to add sausage, bacon, beans, salsa, guacamole, steak, and/or ham added in, as well but they don't like those as much as the plain ones.

This is what we tried this morning:

Heat some oil and butter (the recipe calls for 1/2 stick!) in a skillet.

Peel and slice 2-4 tart green apples, and place in bowl with lemon juice.

While apples are in lemon, slice and peel a couple of potatoes. (Don't have to peel red ones.)

Cook potatoes until a little brown on each side.

Add apple slices and cook covered for a couple of minutes, then uncovered for a couple of minutes.

We loved them! I served breakfast link sausages with them. It was a nice change of pace.

BREAKFAST RICE

per serving:

3/4 to 1 cup cooked brown rice

2/3 c. milk

1 T. brown sugar

1/4 t. cinnamon

I have left over rice in the fridge. We are having this for breakfast.

This sounds DELICIOUS! Our rice cooker takes 1 1/2 hours to make brown rice, so I'd need to do it the night before, but this looks worth it! :)

1 1/2 hours? It takes 30 min on the stove.

This is what we tried this morning:

Heat some oil and butter (the recipe calls for 1/2 stick!) in a skillet.

Peel and slice 2-4 tart green apples, and place in bowl with lemon juice.

While apples are in lemon, slice and peel a couple of potatoes. (Don't have to peel red ones.)

Cook potatoes until a little brown on each side.

Add apple slices and cook covered for a couple of minutes, then uncovered for a couple of minutes.

You just gave me the idea of cooking up some green apples and serving those with the brown rice tomorrow morning.

Marion Cunningham's Breakfast Book is a great book that expanded my ideas of what to have for breakfast way beyond my rotation list of muffins, French toast, oatmeal, eggs, waffles. This is an older book but I would suspect lots of libraries have it, and it's still in print as well.

You didn't list waffles. We use Belgium Waffles mix. You can also add things to the waffles or pancakes - berries, chocolate chips, nuts.

We stayed at a B&B where they served a pasta dish for breakfast. It was basically spaghetti with cream cheese topped with crumpled up bacon. Unusual but actually good.

Marion Cunningham's Breakfast Book is a great book that expanded my ideas of what to have for breakfast way beyond my rotation list of muffins, French toast, oatmeal, eggs, waffles. This is an older book but I would suspect lots of libraries have it, and it's still in print as well.

:iagree: This is the source of my potato/apple fry.

Oh, you have to try her egg muffins! There are a few varieties and I love them. Eat 'em hot or cold and they're portable for dh to take to work!

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html

Thanks for a specific suggestion! She has so many recipes that look delicious and nutritious!

Do you have a silicone muffin pan? If so, which one do you recommend? Amazon has Wilson and Silicone Solutions with mixed reviews.

I love these apple breakfast rounds (except I shred the apple and use very little of the sauce - I also substitute almond butter periodically).

I also LOVE muffins in the morning. These are some favorites:

Peanut Butter Whole Wheat muffins

Morning Glory Muffins (I usually substitute apple sauce and coconut oil in these...soooo yummy!)

Yes, I bought one specifically for these. LOL! Mine is a Wilton--actually I have 2 of the 6-cup ones. I thought the 12-cup would be too floppy, but I put them on a baking sheet anyhow so I guess it might not matter. :)

Thanks for the recommendation. These things will pay for themselves! Healthy, yummy breakfast... happy, protein-filled family.... Great!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I recommend This book as well. I love it.

For breakfast we do scones usually Blueberry, Cranbery, or Cinnamon.

We make Egg burritos with scrambled egg, sausage, green pepper, and onion. You could substitute sausage with bacon or ham.

I make fried potatoes, grits, toast, cinnamon toast, cheese toast, pancakes, waffles, french toast, and sometimes smoothies. We almost always have oranges and/or berries to complement breakfast.

Yesterday I made Chocolate Whole Wheat Muffins, Cinnamon Swirl Whole Wheat Bread and 2 Loaves of Challah. They ate the Chocolate Muffins for breakfast with oranges. I sliced the Challah bread with dinner last night, but today I plan to slice it up for French Toast.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if any of these would be of interest. These are recipes that I often rotate, mostly on the weekends when I have more time.

BAKED OATMEAL

Serves 4

1 ½ cups quick-cooking oats

½ cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 egg, lightly beaten

½ cup milk

¼ cup melted butter

½ cup chopped and peeled tart apple

Slightly less than 1/3 cup chopped fresh or frozen peaches

Slightly less than 1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Additional milk (optional)

In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Combine the eggs, milk and butter; add to the dry ingredients. Stir in the apple, peaches and blueberries.

Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares. Serve with milk if desired. Yield: 9 servings.

Baked French Toast with Pie Filling

1 8 oz loaf French or Italian bread

8 eggs

1 cup milk

2 tsp. vanilla

½ tsp. baking powder

2 cans pie filling – apple/blackberry/blueberry/cherry

1 tsp. cinnamon

4 T. margarine, melted

Powdered sugar

Slice bread into 3/4 inch slices. Place on cookie sheet. Mix well the eggs, baking powder, milk, and vanilla. Pour over bread and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Next morning, preheat oven and remove bread from the fridge. Pour pie filling into 9x13 pan and spread as evenly as possible. Sprinkle cinnamon over pie filling. Wedge bread slices, wettest side up, into pan on top of filling. Brush tops with melted margarine and bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes until toasted golden. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and let sit 5 minutes. Serves 6 (in theory).

Fancy Schmancy Omelettes

2 eggs per omelet

Water

Salt and pepper to taste

Basil, thyme, and parsley

Grated cheeses (we like Monterey Jack and dollops of goat or cream cheese)

Possible fillings: tomatoes, caramelized onions, peppers (red are sweetest), mushrooms, scallions, diced ham

Break up as many eggs as you need for 2 eggs per omelet.

Add a slosh of water and whisk well.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Add basil, thyme, and parsley by pinches.

Add grated cheeses of choice.

Stir the eggs well in a well-oiled saute pan until eggs set up.

Then, add fillings of choice.

Fold omelet over and finish off with a flip to the other side.

VANILLA CREPES - I can never get them thin enough ...

1 1/2 cups milk (may need to use 2-3 tbsp more milk if batter is too thick)

3 eggs

2 tablespoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons melted butter

1. In a large bowl, mix together the milk, egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt and melted butter until well blended. Put everything in the blender so there are no lumps.

2. Heat a crepe pan over medium heat until hot. Coat with vegetable oil or cooking spray.

Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and tip to spread the batter to the edges. When bubbles form on the top and the edges are dry, flip over and cook until lightly browned on the other side and edges are golden. Repeat with remaining batter.

Find the right temp! When you first pour the batter, it shouldn't wrinkle too much when spreading, or your pan is too hot. Pour your batter on a very lightly greased pan. You know you're ready to flip it when the edges begin to curl, the middle batter isn't glossy and wet looking, and you can shake the pan to move the crepe. Use a large thin spatula, flip, and cook another 15 seconds.

Pick up the pan and slide the crepe onto a plate. When you're ready to make another crepe, don't set your pan on the burner for more than a few seconds, or it gets too hot.

3. Fill crepes with Nutella, your favorite fruit, cream, caramel or even ice cream.

BLUEBERRY SOUR CREAM PANCAKES

2 cups flour

1/4 cup sugar

4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 eggs (I always separate the yolks. I add the beaten white in at the very end. This makes pancakes fluffy :)).

1 1/2 cups milk

1 cup sour cream (sometimes I use plain yogurt)

1/3 cup melted butter

1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Blueberry Pancake Topping

1/2 cup sugar

2 tbsp cornstarch

1 cup water

4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

PANCAKES:

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.

In another bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, sour cream and butter. Mix well.

Stir into dry ingredients until just blended.

Fold in blueberries.

I then make the topping.

TOPPING:

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.

Gradually stir in water.

Add blueberries.

Bring to boil over medium heat.

Boil for 2 mins, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.

Now, I head back to the pancakes.

Pour pancake batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle.

Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until the second side is golden brown.

BERRY CREAM MUFFINS

This makes a LOT (about 24 standard-size muffins), so you could halve the recipe if you wish.

4 cups flour

2 cups sugar

3 tsps baking powder

1 tsp salt (I usually do 3/4 tsp)

3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries or mixed berries

4 eggs (when making muffins and pancakes, I always separate the eggs. I beat the whites quite well and add them in LAST. This makes my muffins/pancakes lighter and fluffier).

2 cups sour cream (sometimes I do 1 cup sour cream and 1 cup plain yogurt. You could do just plain yogurt also - healthier).

1 cup vegetable oil

1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Add berries. Toss gently.

Combine egg yolks, sour cream, oil, and vanilla. Mix well.

Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Add beaten egg whites.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 mins or until muffins test done.

--

PEACH PANCAKES

Serves 3 (I double this for our family of 4!)

1 egg (for pancakes and muffins, I always separate the yolk and white. Makes them fluffier. I add the well-beaten white at the VERY end.)

1/2 cup peach yogurt

1/2 cup milk

2 tbsp canola oil

1 tbsp sugar (I always use brown)

1 cup flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup chopped peaches (fresh ... we don't have fresh ... or canned, but well-drained)

2 tbsp melted butter

Mix egg, yogurt, milk, oil and sugar.

In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.

Add flour mixture to liquid mixture and stir just enough to combine. Batter may be lumpy.

Fold in chopped peaches.

Brush hot griddle w/melted butter. Preheat.

Pour approximately 1/4 cup of batter to griddle for each pancake.

Cook until bubbles form.

Flip pancake over and finish cooking.

BREAKFAST FRUIT COBBLER

2 Cups of fresh, canned or frozen fruit (canned pears, peaches and apples, frozen blackberries, red raspberries or a berry blend)

Place fruit in a baking dish sprayed with cooking oil. (I like to use a Pyrex pie dish)

4 Tablespoon sugar

2 Teaspoons cornstarch

4 Teaspoons water or (juice from the canned fruits)

1 Teaspoon lemon juice

Mix together and pour over fruit in dish.

1 Cup quick cooking oats

1/2 Cup all-purpose flour

1/2 Cup brown sugar

1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon or (1/4 Teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 Teaspoon of nutmeg)

1 Cup cold butter

Mix together cutting in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit in dish. Bake 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Serve steaming hot with milk or cream.

Yields 4 servings

If there is any left over you can reheat in the evening add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have a wonderful snack.

BREAKFAST BURRITOS

Scramble some eggs, sprinkle on cheese toward the end and drizzle on salsa. Then we wrap those up in a tortilla. Sometimes I add bacon, chopped and fried or some ham. If we have any leftover baked potatoes, I dice or shred those and add them in too.

APPLE CRISP

About 3 cups apples, sliced thin – enough to fill bottom of pan

Sugar

Cinnamon

Sprinkle on cinnamon

Only add sugar if apples are very tart

Combine all ingredients and place in oiled baking dish.

Topping

3/4 cup flour

3/4 cup oatmeal

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/3 cup melted butter

Combine, crumble together thoroughly and sprinkle over first mixture. Bake in 350 degree oven about 40 minutes, or until apples are tender.

We bake this in various size pans--8x8, 9x9, or 11x7. A doubled recipe fits nicely in a 9x13. Best with ice cream, or a dollop of whipped cream!

BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST

Serves 12

1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1 inch cubes

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, diced

1 cup blueberries

12 eggs

2 cups milk

1/3 cup maple syrup

1 cup white sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 cup water

1 cup blueberries

1 tablespoon butter

1. Place half of the bread cubes in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle cream cheese on top of bread cubes. Top with 1 cup blueberries and remaining bread. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk and maple syrup. Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.

2. The next morning, remove pan from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

3. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Uncover pan and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until golden brown and center is set.

4. To make Sauce: In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch, add water. Boil over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in blueberries and reduce heat. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until the berries have burst. Stir in butter until melted. Serve the sauce over squares of french toast.

Cut eggs back to 9-10, and add 1 tsp. vanilla to the egg/milk mixture. Six to 8 oz. cream cheese is plenty. Spreading the cream cheese on the bread before slicing is a great idea if you have family members who aren't fond of cream cheese - it's less visible. Otherwise, cut into small dice no bigger than 1/2 inch (a little messy, but much better than the 1 inch squares suggested in other recipes). It's critical to sprinkle cinnamon (I like Pampered Chef's "Cinnnamon Plus" spice blend) on both the bottom and top layers of bread cubes - the cinnamon could be added to the egg mixture as well, but I would still sprinkle extra on top. For the sauce, use only about 1-2 tsp. of cornstarch, especially if you prepare it ahead of time - otherwise the sauce becomes too thick. Reduce the sugar to 1/4-1/3 cup, and add the juice of half a lemon for a little zip. Tip: Be careful not to use too much bread -- the dish can't "puff up" if all of the cubes aren't sufficiently saturated. Also, as much as I love the sauce, the dish is equally good and maybe even better with real maple syrup.