Menu

one more quick medical question

How concerned should I be that my 2yr old is still asleep (it is almost 3pm here). He went to bed at 8 last night. He had a SUPER busy week last week and got much less sleep than normal. I have tried to wake him by rocking with him, walking him around, taking him downstairs to the action. He does wake up, glare at me, put his thumb back in his mouth and goes back to sleep. He is breathing, no fever, seems perfectly normal except that he is still asleep. I have even taken him outside. When I put him on the floor he laid down and went to sleep. (He didn't fall or anything-just deliberately laid back down). I am starting to freak out a bit. I am thinking of giving him a bath and if he still doesn't wake up taking him to the emergency.

Reading this-it makes me sound like a terrible mom. But up till now I was really thinking he was just making up for lost sleep.

I don't think there is cause for alarm yet, but there is reason for concern.

Toddlers will generally sleep 12-14 hours out of 24. Is he normally a heavy sleeper? How long does he stay wake when you wake him up? More than a minute? More than 15?

Is he going through a growth spurt? Has he had access to any medication?

I put him on the bath and he woke up. While I was taking his clothes off he kept sleeping, but he seems fine now. He wanted water and oatmeal. So he is eating now then we have an appt at the pedi just to check him out. He really seems fine now (and he seemed fine while he was sleeping, except that he just kept sleeping).

I put him on the bath and he woke up. While I was taking his clothes off he kept sleeping, but he seems fine now. He wanted water and oatmeal. So he is eating now then we have an appt at the pedi just to check him out. He really seems fine now (and he seemed fine while he was sleeping, except that he just kept sleeping).

That's a relief!!!! I bet you're breathing a bit more easily now too!

Not a bad mother at all, but I'm glad you're getting him checked out. He's probably fine -- but that's enough to worry me. Maybe I'm just sensitive today 'cause I kept thinking my 11yo was just taking a while to recover from the flu we all had, and today we learned that he's actually got mono...

I'm betting you will have a lively night. :001_smile:

So the diagnosis was too much thanksgiving fun, a possible growth spurt, and fighting off a little infection (swollen lymph nodes, tonsils, and green snot). She said if it happens again he will need some tests done, but she thinks he was just tired. I really thought he was fine, but it is kinda scary to be saying his name, turning on lights, carrying him, tickling him, and he still just slept. He was in a deep sleep even after 19 hours of straight sleep.

I should have gotten much more done today with him sleeping, but all that checking on him really took time. He was asleep by 10 tonight, so I guess he was tired.