Menu

I am not a big fan of electronic gaming systems (Leapster, Vtech, etc.),

BUT my mom is insistent on getting one for my 4 year old. I realize I could just tell her that I don't want my son to have it, but that would really hurt her feelings. I've done enough of that in the past because we don't really agree on much of anything dealing with my son. I have already given her a couple of items that she could purchase my son for Christmas - Lego airplane set & Wedgits. He already knows how to read very well. What else do these learning games teach? I am not sure how to handle this. What would you do?

I would let your mom get him the game.

My girls have had a lot of fun with theirs, and we've limited their time with them. You can control the games he gets to play, and how much time he plays them. Your mom doesn't need to know how much or how little he uses the game.

There are certainly more educational games than others. I don't look at them as much as teaching tools as perhaps reinforcement or just fun. I've been very happy with all the Leapfrog products we've used over the years.

If you think it will put more strain on your relationship with your mom, this is not a hill I would die on. Your son is plenty young enough that you will be in control of the game. You could even save it for long car trips.

My girls have had a lot of fun with theirs, and we've limited their time with them. You can control the games he gets to play, and how much time he plays them. Your mom doesn't need to know how much or how little he uses the game.

There are certainly more educational games than others. I don't look at them as much as teaching tools as perhaps reinforcement or just fun. I've been very happy with all the Leapfrog products we've used over the years.

If you think it will put more strain on your relationship with your mom, this is not a hill I would die on. Your son is plenty young enough that you will be in control of the game. You could even save it for long car trips.

:iagree:

My 4 and 7yo girls received Leapster2's as a gift 2 years ago, when they were almost 3 and just-turned 5. In my opinion, they're not for learning. They're just little video game consoles. They're great for car rides and plane trips.

I dislike the fact that there are so few games that don't have commercial tie-ins. :glare: But Animal Genius is fun, and I may suggest that someone buy them the Scholastic I Spy cartridges (link and link) for Christmas. We also have a basic math game (Cosmic Math), but it isn't one of their favorites. They love Pet Pals (I roll my eyes at that one) and My Amusement Park and Digging for Dinosaurs.

There's a newer Leapster out called the Leapster Explorer. It is more expensive, and it sounds as though they're making it more dependent on connecting to a computer. The commercial tie-ins are even more intrusive. I'd steer clear of that one.

a LeapPad might be a good compromise... it is electronic but uses books and either reads the book to the kid while kid follows along, or kid can use the pen to point to individual words to hear them. I think it would be more educational, more age appropriate, and less 'video game gateway drug' than a Leapster. (which in all honesty my kids had too, but not when they were 4).

It looks like this is the newer version of LeapPads: Read & Write LeapPad

After talking it over with my husband, I am just going to let her get him one. It is definitely not a battle I need to fight right now. Like you mentioned, I can still control how much he plays it. Now, I need to decide which one. I need to research the ones that a pp posted (I don't know how to quote more than once :glare:) Anymore suggestions?

My 4 and 7yo girls received Leapster2's as a gift 2 years ago, when they were almost 3 and just-turned 5. In my opinion, they're not for learning. They're just little video game consoles. They're great for car rides and plane trips.

I dislike the fact that there are so few games that don't have commercial tie-ins. :glare: But Animal Genius is fun, and I may suggest that someone buy them the Scholastic I Spy cartridges (link and link) for Christmas. We also have a basic math game (Cosmic Math), but it isn't one of their favorites. They love Pet Pals (I roll my eyes at that one) and My Amusement Park and Digging for Dinosaurs.

There's a newer Leapster out called the Leapster Explorer. It is more expensive, and it sounds as though they're making it more dependent on connecting to a computer. The commercial tie-ins are even more intrusive. I'd steer clear of that one.

Thank you for these suggestions! I didn't realize there were so many different types of games for the Leapster.

BUT my mom is insistent on getting one for my 4 year old. I realize I could just tell her that I don't want my son to have it, but that would really hurt her feelings. I've done enough of that in the past because we don't really agree on much of anything dealing with my son. I have already given her a couple of items that she could purchase my son for Christmas - Lego airplane set & Wedgits. He already knows how to read very well. What else do these learning games teach? I am not sure how to handle this. What would you do?

I have always been like you in not being crazy with handheld gaming. We did get our two each a leapster 3 0r 4 yrs ago and they have been so worth the money spent. At 11 and almost 10 they still play with them. I have been very picky as to the games that we got to go with them.

This year for Christmas we got our ds Nintendo DSI XL. Again we will be very picky as to the games that go on it but expect him to get great enjoyment out of them.

Just as a side note, I was always afraid that these things would take the place of outside activity/play. That hasn't happened. For the most part they play with the leapsters when in the car and evening/bad weather etc.

My kids have each received a leapster when they turned 3yo. Now at 6yo, DD is really too old for hers and it is getting replaced by a Nintendo DS. The games say they are for up to 8yo or 3-4th grade, but really, most of the games are too easy once they hit about 2nd grade level work.

Like you, we are not interested in anything but educational games for these. We consider them a bonus tool for learning.

Some games we have liked for leapster:

Ispy

Math Missions

Cosmic Math

Letterpiller (prereader)

Animal Genius

The grade level ones

My Amusement Park

Get Puzzled-logic puzzles

I would stay clear of the themed ones if you are trying to stay away from anything non educational.

I can sympathize, OP. I have family who insisted on buying them those electronic things when they were younger. Either the kids got bored with them or frustrated with them.

I just graciously said thank you, and felt a bit of disappointment. The money could have been spent on something they'd have loved. But, oh well.