Menu

S/O of Kids Cooking Thread- What Common Dish Have You Never Cooked?

I've never made anything that I wouldn't like to eat myself, except fried eggs. I hate them, but I watched my mom make them so many times that I can do it just right for DH.

This means that I have never made:

Fried chicken (I like this, but it's not healthy so I wouldn't eat it if I made it.)

Omelets (hate these)

Scrambled eggs (hate these)

Peas (hate these)

Meat loaf (do not like this very much.)

OTOH, I make wonderful French and Chinese food, neither of which I grew up with. And I can look at a recipe for 'normal American food' and figure out whether I will like it or not. I can also combine recipes without trying them, to come up with a good final result that isn't really written down anywhere.

I made a modified version of fried chicken, for the first time, just a few weeks ago. I've never made true fried chicken.

Three weeks ago I made doughnuts for the first time also.

I've never made a meatloaf since having children (which is almost 10 years now) but I HAVE made it.

Okra and grits...not common in my part of the world. Never made them. Never tasted them.

I have never made a steak. That's my husband's department.

I've never made green bean casserole. My mom never made it. I tried it once at a friend's house, it didn't taste too bad, but I find the sight of it revolting.

I do make homemade macaroni and cheese. In fact, I just made some the other day.

I really don't know what else would be considered "common".

Of all the things mentioned so far, the only one I've never made is grits. And I never will. I've cooked everything under the sun, usually starting with fresh ingredients, not much of a boxed person here...

Are you implying there is some sort of boxed grits thing out there? I have never seen this. Grits are packaged like oatmeal. They are sort of like cream of wheat. They are just ground up corn, it's not even a processed food (hominy is soaked in lye, but grits are not).

Are you implying there is some sort of boxed grits thing out there? I have never seen this. Grits are packaged like oatmeal. They are sort of like cream of wheat. They are just ground up corn, it's not even a processed food (hominy is soaked in lye, but grits are not).

Maybe she means instant grits--which shouldn't even be called 'grits', IMO. ;)

--ereks mom, who grew up in GA & still lives in GA, and cooked real grits just this morning for breakfast

I think they are referring to the packages/pouches because they come in a box. I've never seen grits come any other way and I've never known anyone to cook grits from scratch. I was born in New Orleans and raised in GA and I've eaten grits all my life. Cheese and bacon grits rock!

I think they are referring to the packages/pouches because they come in a box. I've never seen grits come any other way and I've never known anyone to cook grits from scratch. I was born in New Orleans and raised in GA and I've eaten grits all my life. Cheese and bacon grits rock!

Really? I've never noticed grits in packages. Are they like the instant oatmeal packages? I'm from Oklahoma, we eat grits, but I've never seen instant grits. Baked cheese grits are my go-to breakfast pot-luck dish. Everyone loves them, even people who have never heard of grits. :D

I have never bought or prepared Hamburger (or Tuna) Helper.

Had more than my share of it when I was a kid...

I only made this when I was a kid for the same reason!:lol:

Really? I've never noticed grits in packages. Are they like the instant oatmeal packages? I'm from Oklahoma, we eat grits, but I've never seen instant grits. Baked cheese grits are my go-to breakfast pot-luck dish. Everyone loves them, even people who have never heard of grits.

Yeah, they come in individual serving size packages in one box just like instant oatmeal. Wouldn't that be the same thing as one big box? A cannister of oatmeal seems the same thing as the instant oatmeal. Then again, maybe I have no idea. I haven't even seen a canister of oatmeal since I was a kid at my grandmother's house.

Yeah, they come in individual serving size packages in one box just like instant oatmeal. Wouldn't that be the same thing as one big box? A cannister of oatmeal seems the same thing as the instant oatmeal. Then again, maybe I have no idea. I haven't even seen a canister of oatmeal since I was a kid at my grandmother's house.

No, instant grits/oatmeal/etc are more processed so that they take less time to cook. It also reduces the nutritional content. Most regular grits contain the full bran (as long as you don't rinse them), instant grits do not. The instant stuff has a different flavor and texture.

Baked cheese grits are my go-to breakfast pot-luck dish. Everyone loves them, even people who have never heard of grits.

Would you share your recipe? I have several pot luck things coming up and I'm not in the mood to be bringing the same egg casseroles as everyone else for the breakfast ones. ;)

Would you share your recipe? I have several pot luck things coming up and I'm not in the mood to be bringing the same egg casseroles as everyone else for the breakfast ones. ;)

Sure! You cook 1 1/2 cups of grits on the stove, according to package directions. Let them cool a little so that they don't scramble the eggs when you add them, but you do want the cheese to melt. Add 4 beaten eggs, 3/4 lbs of cheese (I use sharp cheddar), 1/2 a stick of butter, a teaspoon or so of salt and a generous dose of Louisiana Hot Sauce (Tabasco, Texas Pete, whatever you have on hand) and sprinkle the top with paprika. Pour into a buttered 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until it's set in the middle.

So far, I have cooked everything I've seen on this thread. I think it's because I'm older than most of you. :001_smile:

I love grits, by the way, but would never think of serving instant. Yuck. It's also been years (think 20) since I've served hamburger helper. I cook from scratch now, and have cooked fried chicken many times. It's really the only thing I fry these days, but my kids love it so I try to cook it about once a month.

Sure! You cook 1 1/2 cups of grits on the stove, according to package directions. Let them cool a little so that they don't scramble the eggs when you add them, but you do want the cheese to melt. Add 4 beaten eggs, 3/4 lbs of cheese (I use sharp cheddar), 1/2 a stick of butter, a teaspoon or so of salt and a generous dose of Louisiana Hot Sauce (Tabasco, Texas Pete, whatever you have on hand) and sprinkle the top with paprika. Pour into a buttered 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until it's set in the middle.

Thanks! That sounds perfect -- ingredients I normally have, easy prep and yummy!