Menu

Is it tacky to keep window lights going all year?

Who cares if it is? It's your house.

:iagree:

It gets dark here so darned early, I enjoy lights left up a little longer.

Now, if if someone has a huge competition-with-the-neighbors type Christmas display, mid-January is about as late as I want to see that. :D

First-it's your house...and your power bill. Do what makes you happy. I've known folks with many reasons other than the holidays for having a light in the window.

Second-I believe in Christmas decor from about Thanksgiving to Epiphany-ish. When stuff is still up at Valentines I begin to wonder when it will come down. Of course I understand you may have a few special items or a collection that has year 'round display status but you can usually tell someone's house that has a collection out vs. decorated for the holidays.

There is a lady down the street from me who has those large round ones you see in the garden/patio area in her windows of her home. They look so beautiful and warming when ever I pass by.

So, i say it is up to you. I mean if you are having some blinking, tracing lights then maybe it would be tacky. But a simple light glow can make it look warming.

I just realized I definitely was not clear. I'm not talking about real Christmas lights on a string :) . Sorry about that.

I'm just asking about those one light window candles. Like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Tidings-Christmas-Window-Candle/dp/B000J6C6X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290376539&sr=8-1

Lol. "I mean if you are having some blinking, tracing lights then maybe it would be tacky."

Dh doesn't like these even FOR Christmas. hahaha

Edited by momee

Are you talking about the ones that look like a candle in the window or full blown lights around the window? I love the candle in the window ones when I see them at other times of year. Makes the houses that have them look so welcoming. We have them at Christmas, don't know why I don't leave them up all winter.

Mary

I just realized I was probably not clear. I'm not talking twinkly colored lights :)

I'm just asking about those one light window candles.

Lol. "I mean if you are having some blinking, tracing lights then maybe it would be tacky."

One faux "candle" does not say Christmas/holiday to me. Depending on your decor, it could just mean old fashioned warmth and homeliness (homey-ness?). We have people in the neighborhood who have their plastic reindeer up all year. That is what I was picturing when I said "tacky".

I just realized I definitely was not clear. I'm not talking about the real Christmas stringed lights, the twinkly colored lights :) .

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Tidings-Christmas-Window-Candle/dp/B000J6C6X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290376539&sr=8-1

My guess when I posted above was the candle in the window type. They are actually some of my favorites.

I just realized I was probably not clear. I'm not talking twinkly colored lights :)

I'm just asking about those one light window candles.

That sounds pretty and very tasteful. I'd leave those up until the days got a little longer again (or until you got tired of them) with no qualms whatsoever.

We have white icicle type lights across the front of our house only. They do NOT blink though. I hate blinking lights (I'm easily distracted and the flashing just really make me nuts...). Even so, I get tired of them before early January. I'd get some window lights if we had any depth at all to our windowsills.

Whew. You gals are fast. I am laughing out loud here picturing the running twinkly lights and the plastic reindeer in this yard.

DH has a fit when people use two and three different types of lights for outdoor Christmas decorating.

OK - so the window candle is a go :)

Thanks you all.

I just realized I definitely was not clear. I'm not talking about real Christmas lights on a string :) . Sorry about that.

Oh my GOSH! :lol::lol: Okay, then no, I don't think so! LOL