Menu

Untreated girls' nightgowns? And a Garnet Hill question...

Does anyone have suggestions for where I can buy girls' nightgowns that are not made of polyester but aren't treated with flame-retardant chemicals? I found a few, but the style of Sara's Prints and Company Kids won't work for my DD (puffy sleeves and lace around the neck). The only other ones I've found are from Garnet Hill, and they are gorgeous, but they're also $45 :scared:. Does anyone know of other places I might look?

And if you ever shop at Garnet Hill, do they ever have sales or coupons? I haven't been able to find any online coupon codes, and only their flannel two-piece PJs are on sale *sigh*

TIA!

The GH ones are not all cotton. They are cotton and modacrylic. Note the phrase 'cotton-rich'. Which is not to say it's not a good step up from 100% poly.

There are no untreated cotton nightgowns available in the US in children's sizes that I have ever found. Some interantional caltalogues (Boden, Hanna) have had problems trying to sell loose fitting cotton clothing that could be mistaken for jammies, which is why you have to buy up in cotton long johns now. Everything is so dang snug if you don't order up.

If she is not tiny- tiny, you might have luck with extra smalls in women's. (Adult sleep clothing does not need to be treated).

I've been able to find European and Canadian nightgowns for children in consignment stores. We have a few Sara's Prints (Israel) nightgowns. They are getting older, but they have held up.

The other thing you can consider is buying 100 percent cotton dresses from Lands End or LL Bean and use those as night- gowns. Kinda spendy, but there are often sales.

Edited by LibraryLover

Does it have to be nightgowns? I have bought 100% cotton, non-treated pajamas for my kids at several different stores over the years, for reasonable prices. Gap, Old Navy, Elder Beerman, JcPenney, and even Walmart usually carry these. But nightgowns are harder to find.

Yes, long johns can be found in all cotton. These are not considered PJs. They do run small, in case you do let your kids sleep in them. ;)

Some little girls like nightgowns. :) My youngest does. She wears them with tights as she doesn't like cold feet to sleep. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the extra-small option. Lands End even has some petite extra small gowns. Thanks!

And yes, she's specifically asking for nightgowns. She has plenty of regular PJs. The polyester thing is actually my own bias :lol: I can't stand touching polyester anything--it actually gives me a little shudder sometimes! Gee, I wonder where she gets her clothing sensitivities? :rolleyes:

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the extra-small option. Lands End even has some petite extra small gowns. Thanks!

And yes, she's specifically asking for nightgowns. She has plenty of regular PJs. The polyester thing is actually my own bias :lol: I can't stand touching polyester anything--it actually gives me a little shudder sometimes! Gee, I wonder where she gets her clothing sensitivities? :rolleyes:

Oh, I cannot stand poly, esp to sleep! Before I even had kids, I had a babysitting experience with a child wearing one of those footed poly sleepers. When I was tucking him into bed, all his wiggling made sparks in the sheets. You could hear it. Made the hair on my neck stand up.

I had friends send cotton footed 'sleepers' from Mark & Spencer's in the UK back when my first was born. He is 21, and all- cotton baby wear was not that easy to find. We had to spend money at Biobottoms and Hanna back then. No internet shopping, either. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by LibraryLover

I'm on the garnet hill mailing list- I get a postcard very rarely with a discount code, maybe twice a year. They do run many things on sale when they move onto a new season,you can check online in the sale tab.

have you tried hanna andersen for cotton nighties?

Does it have to be nightgowns? I have bought 100% cotton, non-treated pajamas for my kids at several different stores over the years, for reasonable prices. Gap, Old Navy, Elder Beerman, JcPenney, and even Walmart usually carry these. But nightgowns are harder to find.

not our wal-mart....or target...or even JC Penny...not in my neck of the woods...I looked all fall for some and ended up paying an arm and a leg to buy fleece and have a friend make them...if they are to be found, I would certainly like to know where.

Edited by NEprairemom

not our wal-mart....or target...or even JC Penny...not in my neck of the woods...I looked all fall for some and ended up paying an arm and a leg to buy fleece and have a friend make them...if they are to be found, I would certainly like to know where.

I'm sure I've seen cotton long-john-type jammies at Target :confused: I'll have to look to verify the next time I go back. We have plenty of those, so I didn't pay super close attention. I think Children's Place is carrying them right now too. As for fleece jammies, if you still need more of those, our Target has fleece sets that look just like Carters fleece sets. I just saw them last week and looked at them, but again, we don't really need them, so I didn't buy.

Also, if you have a Gymboree near you, I saw their long-john-type PJs on the sale rack when I was there a week or so ago--not a ton, but enough that I was surprised. (Of course, our Gymbo is a freestanding one, so it doesn't get the foot traffic that the mall ones do. I'm constantly surprised at the good deals I find there because there's more sale stuff than usual.)

ETA:

http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_658951_131751_27151|133136_girl|sleepwear_biggirls

http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_650836_130707_26601|133201_boy|sleepwear_bigboys

HTH!

Edited by melissel

Depending on how lacy/frilly she likes her clothing, it might be simplier to sew one yourself.

When each of my girls were in 6th grade they participated in a historical reinactment weekend with the Girl Scouts. Part of the outfit was a simple chemise. They learned that in the 1700's the women would have worn these as nightgowns as well as during the day as an undergarment.

They each made simple unbleached cotton chemises, and used them off and on for years as nightgowns.

You could make them in a variety of colors and fabrics.

here is an example of a simple chemise pattern (this is not the one I used, just one I found on google). http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/chemise.html

Online, Garnet Hill has daily sales and regular ol' sales. They also have a giant annual sale around the end of December, I believe. For that one, they'll send out a smaller catalog. I've occasionally received a post card when specific items go on sale.

Hanna Anderssen is great for untreated cotton. I also like the way their company operates.

Our Gymboree in Chicago used to have amazing sales. They may still. I haven't shopped there for awhile now that my littlest is bigger than I am.