Menu

Has anyone here actually gone through the new pat down procedure?

I'm just wondering if it really is as bad as it sounds. I'm almost considering requesting a pat down when I'm returning from the States in March. Then I can make an informed decision on whether or not I want dc to go through it in the future. I'll be alone, so subjecting myself to it wouldn't put anyone else in my family at risk. And if it really is that bad, I can just move back to the States and not fly with the kids again. I can't believe that I even have to consider this.

I flew last Tuesday and went through the full body scanner. Upon leaving the scanner, I was asked to step to a spot on the floor where they had painted imprints of feet on the floor. TSA asked me to place my feet on (their) respective painted feet and then immediately asked me if I was facing the appropriate conveyor belt so that I could keep an eye on my belongings. All of this was done in a highly professional manner. After that, a female TSA agent asked me if I had anything in my front right pocket. What?!?! UMMMM...I had taken a shuttle from my parking location off site the airport to the terminal and I had $5 in one dollar bills in my pocket which was my change from the tip I gave the driver. I immediately pulled out the folded currency showed it to the TSA and she then told me she needed to "clear" the pocket area and do a pat down. All that showed up on the scan was a small folded something in my pocket. I immediately produced it. Now they need to check further despite the fact that I was just scanned???? She asked me if I wanted to do this in a private area. I responded, "I'm a nurse, let's just do it and be done with it." She explained what and where she was going to touch patted the pocket area and then gave me a quick swipe on the inner thigh of the leg closest to the said pocket. It was nothing like what I was envisioning, but it was not in lieu of the scanner either, which no doubt made a world of difference. I certainly did not receive the "full meal deal" or any of the tremendously invasive personal searches we are seeing on some videos.

That being said, when he is not proudly serving his country on active duty, as he currently is now, my husband is a pilot for one of the major airlines and he (we) feel that the current system is simply not working. Millions of law abiding citizens are being subjected to extremely intrusive searches all in an attempt to thwart a vague and all but impossible to detect (with the current limitations) terror contingency. Re: our current system of screening. The pat downs of pilots and flight attendants still leaves me shaking my head. Hmmmm...IMHO you don't really need a lot of extra gear to do some serious damage if you are so inclined AND are also the folks actually flying the planes.

Edited by Jenn in FL
Typo

That being said, when he is not proudly serving his country on active duty, as he currently is now, my husband is a pilot for one of the major airlines and he (we) feel that the current system is simply not working. Millions of law abiding citizens are being subjected to extremely intrusive searches all in an attempt to thwart a vague and all but impossible to detect (with the current limitations) terror contingency. Re: our current system of screening. The pat downs of pilots and flight attendants still leaves me shaking my head. Hmmmm...IMHO you don't really need a lot of extra gear to do some serious damage if you are so inclined AND are also the folks actually flying the planes.

Yea, really. I mean, if you're flying the plane, you could just simply crash it if you want to. Hello!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I really can't believe how far this whole thing has gone.

No, but my family and I may be flying in a month, so I'll let you know then. I'll probably be writing from prison.

I'll bake you a cake with a file in it.;) Funny. But then, not so much.:grouphug:

If you are flying with your children, remember that they just changed the ages of the children to be screened. Twelve and under children are not to be patted down. It would not hurt to record everything. (I have a feeling I am preaching to the choir.)

I heard Mark Levin trying to bring a little levity to the situation and he said that when it is your turn to be patted down, say something like, "No. I don't want you, I want the tall, good looking one over there. If we're going to do this, we are going to do it right."

Love Mark Levin.:tongue_smilie:

I heard Mark Levin trying to bring a little levity to the situation and he said that when it is your turn to be patted down, say something like, "No. I don't want you, I want the tall, good looking one over there. If we're going to do this, we are going to do it right."

I have no idea who Mark Levin is, but this is so funny.

My 79yo mom is flying from NC to CA tomorrow and from NC here in December. I really hope that she doesn't get stopped. She says that she really doesn't care after all the poking and proding that she went through during some medical problems a few years ago. I still think it would be horrible for her, though.

Love Mark Levin.:tongue_smilie:

That sounds like something I'd say, but I'd have an agent with no sense of humor, then it would escalate... Last time we flew (three years ago?), my husband had my arm in a vise grip and just kept hissing, "Say nothing!" :D

If children aren't to be patted down, do they have to go through the full body scanner?

This is the article that I read, and it does not specify.

I would assume, yes, but I don't know. It would make sense that if you optout of the scanner, you would have nothing done, but this is the government so you can't assume there will be any sense.

Let me do some digging. Anyone else know anything?

They have been doing full security checks on children, even infants, for several years now. Kids remove their shoes, get patted down if needed, put coats or bulky sweaters in the bins, the works. The only exception I saw was that until my youngest was old enough to walk I could carry him through the detector. Once he could walk he had to go on his own. They must be removed from strollers, car seats etc. My kids have been patted and wanded and this was before the new regs. I doubt it has become easier.

DH just flew to and from Europe for business. He did not have to do a pat down or body scan going there or back. He was told in Switzerland that there was no need to take his shoes off prior to the check-in to fly back to the US. The agent said to him, "This is not America. You can keep your shoes on."

I fly to Houston once a month regularily with son. Our airport will be one of the last airports to get the full body scanner in 3-5 years from now. A FEW WEEKS AGO, I did have to get the new pat-down as I set off the metal detector.

The TSA agent was female and very kind. She explained in great detail what would take place. She spoke what she was about to do before she touched me so I knew what to expect. I had her use the back of her hand to go around my lower bra/elastic section, waist, neckline, arms, legs/inseam, etc. But no deliberate touching or hands in the groin or breast/nipple areas. She took her gloves to a machine for testing of any residue. I was in a clear glass area with everyone to see -- but it all happened so fast, it really was no big deal. I appreciate the fact the TSA agents were polite and kind to me. We fly there regularily and maybe they know us by sight, I don't know. But my TSA agent was professional.

Edited by tex-mex

Children will get patted down...just not as extensively...which people believe just means they won't get their genitalia touched. Of course there is a current U-tube of a child with his shirt taken off and appears to get his groin touched so who know exactly what this "no pat-downs" under 12 really means. It could just be a PR thing sadly.

DH just flew to and from Europe for business. He did not have to do a pat down or body scan going there or back. He was told in Switzerland that there was no need to take his shoes off prior to the check-in to fly back to the US. The agent said to him, "This is not America. You can keep your shoes on."

I fly to Houston once a month regularily with son. Our airport will be one of the last airports to get the full body scanner in 3-5 years from now. Last month, I did have to get the new pat-down as I set off the metal detector.

The TSA agent was female and very kind. She explained in great detail what would take place. She spoke what she was about to do before she touched me so I knew what to expect. I had her use the back of her hand to go around my lower bra/elastic section, waist, neckline, arms, legs/inseam, etc. But no deliberate touching or hands in the groin or breast/nipple areas. She took her gloves to a machine for testing of any residue. I was in a clear glass area with everyone to see -- but it all happened so fast, it really was no big deal. I appreciate the fact the TSA agents were polite and kind to me. We fly there regularily and maybe they know us by sight, I don't know. But my TSA agent was professional.

Are you sure this was after the new pat down procedures were implemented? They have only been in place a bit less than a month.

Are you sure this was after the new pat down procedures were implemented? They have only been in place a bit less than a month.

Yup, the TSA agent told me that they would no longer be using the metal wand and had to do the NEW pat-down procedure. It was a long canned speech and I already knew ahead of time what to expect. We traveled down to Houston on 11/9. (Just realized my earlier post has a typo... already thinking it is December. My bad. Thanks for the heads up! LOL)

We flew in October. We had not flown for more than a year prior, and I guess I don't stay up with the news enough, because we knew nothing about the new scanners and pat-downs. So when we showed up, they directed us to the scanners. My daughter was ahead of me, so she went in first. That was a mistake on my part. No one explained to her how the scanner would work, or what she was to do other than putting her feet in the appropriate spot. That was a mistake on their part. When the scanner started up, it startled her a little, and she turned her head to see what was happening (to watch the part of the machine that was moving). Because she had moved during the scan, they had to do the pat-down.

They waited until I went through the scanner, and explained the situation to me before they said or did anything to my daughter. They had a woman security agent do the pat-down, and she explained to dd exactly what she was going to do, and was very nice about it all.

My daughter was more frustrated with the fact that they had not explained to her that she wasn't supposed to move than she was with the pat-down. It really was not invasive or inappropriate at all, but maybe they've gotten worse about that since then?

Overall, it was a bit of a nuissance, but certainly not traumatic or anything. Not the kind of thing that would keep us from flying. We fly rarely anyway, for other reasons, but this won't be a big factor for us.

I've flown 6 times in the last 7 weeks: twice with just the older 2 kids and 4 times with all 4 kids. We've not experienced the scanners or pat-downs. Yesterday, DD 12 set off the metal detector, and my heart skipped. I think she may have touched the side. Anyway, the agent just had her walk through again and nothing happened. I carry DS 3 through and DH carries DD 4 through.

Edited by Sugarfoot
I meant metal detector--obviously we didn't walk through an x-ray machine:)

My dh had an experience similar to Jenn. He was directly in front of the metal detector when they pointed him to the full body scanner. He had not removed chapstick from his pocket, so it created a problem in the scanner. He then had the pat down.

He said it wasn't fun, but it wasn't inappropriate either. More than anything else, he wished he had known he would receive the body scan so he could have been extra careful about his pocket contents.

Contrary to what I've read online, dh said that it was NOT a high percentage of young attractive women and teen girls being selected for the scan.

In my experience, *everyone* was going through the scan.

Yes. This.

Dh and I just flew out of Seattle on Saturday morning. Yesterday. Everyone was sent through the scanner. There was no other option given. All the small children, old people, everyone. They did take one lady that was in a wheel-chair through the metal scanner, but other people in wheel-chairs (that could 'walk' after a fashion) were sent through the scanner.

Before we went in, the TSA agent reminded everyone to be sure to empty our pockets. I didn't have pockets, so it wasn't an issue. They told us where to place our feet, how to place our hands/arms and even tried to make it fun by saying to pretend our hands were "reindeer antlers". They reminded us to look directly at the screen and not to move any part of our body, especially our heads, until they said "ok". Then they said, "don't move starting 'now'".

There was no sound in the scanner and one felt nothing. When the TSA agent said "ok, you can move", we were directed onto a mat and told to place our feet on the foot-marks and remain there. A TSA agent stood 2-inches in front of us, watching the screen (behind us that we could not see), until they were given the all-clear. While standing there, the TSA agent (same sex for each passenger) was very nice, and mine smiled at me and said, "Isn't this fun?" with a "can you believe we have to do this" tone. I replied, "oh, yes. Great fun." and she smiled and said, "just a few more seconds" and then "ok, you are clear to go".

I turned around to look, even once I picked up all my things from the bins, and there was nothing to see. The images were not on-screen anywhere for anyone in the airport to see. They were in another room. We did not see anyone receive a pat-down the entire time we waited in line, which was a good 45 minutes. No one opted-out of the scanner.

The TSA agents were efficient and polite. They were nice. They were professional and helpful. They had it down to a science.

I didn't want to be scanned, but it was early morning (like 5am) and I was feeling sick PLUS I was on my way home. Honestly, I just didn't care.....I just wanted to go home. From the conversations going on around me (many, many families with small children and babies) they were all going home for Thanksgiving and no one wanted any problems.

Like I said, as far as I could see, there weren't any problems or pat-downs. No TSA agents with 'attitudes'.

They reminded us to look directly at the screen and not to move any part of our body, especially our heads, until they said "ok". Then they said, "don't move starting 'now'".

From the conversations going on around me (many, many families with small children and babies) they were all going home for Thanksgiving and no one wanted any problems.

Like I said, as far as I could see, there weren't any problems or pat-downs. No TSA agents with 'attitudes'.

What about small children who couldn't possibly hold still in a scanner and/or follow those exact directions? Did you happen to notice how were they handling them if everyone was going through it?

What about small children who couldn't possibly hold still in a scanner and/or follow those exact directions? Did you happen to notice how were they handling them if everyone was going through it?

My question exactly. We fly from Brazil to the US, stopping in Houston and then on to Denver -- both airports reportedly DO have the new full body scanners, so it's likely we'll be directed to them at one or the other, if not both.

I'm mostly concerned with how my 5 yr old will do. He does not like to follow directions, and if he's tired (highly likely at the times we'll be flying), or upset over anything, getting him to stand absolutely still may or may not happen.

Having someone then do even a modified pat down on him (not clear on what the new "under 12" rules are...) would really set him off.

I'll be curious how it goes, and sure to report back once we've done it. (we fly out in about 2 wks time...)

I am flying tomorrow and will refuse the full body scan if selected. If I can get to a computer once I'm at my destination (not as simple as it sounds), I will post results. I'm flying with DD so we'll see what happens with her (3yo). She will NOT go through the scan.

The TSA blog site has information about searching children.

Myth: All children will receive pat-downs.

Fact: TSA officers are trained to work with parents to ensure a respectful screening process for the entire family, while providing the best possible security for all travelers. Children 12 years old and under who require extra screening will receive a modified pat down.

http://blog.tsa.gov/