Menu

Clothes Shopping

Does anyone else hate shopping for clothes? The choices are just overwhelming for me and I do not have any sense of style!

I just so wish that someone would just tell me what to wear. If I could walk into a store at the mall and they would say, "here's your outfit...that'll be $X" I would love it!

Which got me thinking....is there anyone online that provides this type of service? For instance, someone who puts together outfits that you can then just click and buy. Do some of the online stores have this as an option on their websites (honestly, I spend so little time looking for clothes that I just don't know!)

Thanks in advance!

I hate shopping for clothes, and therefore look like a perfect candidate for "What Not To Wear". I've resorted to taking someone with me for fashion advice - MIL here, SIL (brother's wife) when I'm visiting my family. I can't be relied on to get something reasonable by myself.

:(

Find a women's specialty store, go in at different times and see if any of the clerks click with you. You can simply say that it's been awhile since you've updated your wardrobe and your body has changed a lot since...so you aren't certain what looks good on you anymore. The good ones will come up with ideas and as you are trying on one thing in the fitting room, they will bring you others to try ;) I found a wonderful Russian lady at a ladies' clothing store and once I found a wonderful French lady at a lingerie shop. Both were very open and helpful (the lady at the clothing store brought me a supportive undergarment, realizing that I honestly did need it for shaping to make the clothes look right and that I probably had not thought of it. As a seamstress, her intuition and tact impressed me).

Does anyone else hate shopping for clothes? The choices are just overwhelming for me and I do not have any sense of style!

I hate shopping for clothes. I however am not overwhelmed by the choices. I get annoyed because I can't find what I want.

I know what I'm looking for. I know what materials I like to wear. I know what colors look good on me. The stores don't have this combination.

I love shopping for clothes. Can I take you and pick everything out for you?

Would you PLEASE do this for me too?! I'm tall and get really tired of trying to find pants that fit. I've got 3 pair of pants right now. And, two of them are WAY too big for me (think, two sizes) since I've lost the baby fat. I NEED to shop. But, I HATE IT!!!!!

I SOOOO hear you!! I go to Land's End sometimes and look at the outfits already put together. Then, I go to Target and try to replicate it. I did that a couple years ago for a summer wardrobe and it worked well. But, it took time! I love summer when I can wear capris and shorts and skirts and not have to worry much about the length!!!:glare:

Would you PLEASE do this for me too?! I'm tall and get really tired of trying to find pants that fit. I've got 3 pair of pants right now. And, two of them are WAY too big for me (think, two sizes) since I've lost the baby fat. I NEED to shop. But, I HATE IT!!!!!

I SOOOO hear you!! I go to Land's End sometimes and look at the outfits already put together. Then, I go to Target and try to replicate it. I did that a couple years ago for a summer wardrobe and it worked well. But, it took time! I love summer when I can wear capris and shorts and skirts and not have to worry much about the length!!!:glare:

Hi Jennifer,

JC Penney, Old Navy, Gap and Eddie Bauer all carry tall size pants online. I know it is a hassle to order online, but since they have free shipping deals right now you can order the same pant in a few different sizes to get the right fit. Each of the above companies allow you to return online orders to the store so you don't have to pay for return shipping.

I hate shopping for clothes, and therefore look like a perfect candidate for "What Not To Wear". I've resorted to taking someone with me for fashion advice - MIL here, SIL (brother's wife) when I'm visiting my family. I can't be relied on to get something reasonable by myself.

:(

I just rented a "What Not to Wear" DVD from Netflix - the mom episodes. I learned so much watching them. It makes clothing shopping so much easier when you know what to look for. They are worth renting if you have Netflix.

Their basic formula is trouser pants, fitted shirt or button down with a jacket or cardigan. They said to avoid pants that narrow at the ankle because it draws attention to the hips. Also go for dark wash denim because it looks more pulled together than faded. They said to looks for shirts that create a waist, well above your natural waist, which is the smallest part of the body. You can also button your cardigan or jacket underneath your bustline to emphasis natural curves. I'm not really explaining this very well, but it makes a lot of sense when you watch the DVD.

Edited by Ferdie

I hate shopping, too.

Last year I desperately needed a wardrobe upgrade, but dreaded the shopping involved. So, I searched on Ebay and found several clothing "lots." After a whole lot of research and bidding a few odd-and-end pieces, I started bidding on the lots. I got thousands of dollars worth of new with tags, new w/out tags and gently used clothes for a couple hundred bucks (spread out over a couple months).

Sure, there were pieces that didn't work for me, once I got them in person, but in the end it was well worth the time and effort.

In researching various sellers and lots, I noticed there were several who advertised "custom lots" for bid. You send yor measurements, style preferences, etc.; they put together a lot for you and send you pics and, once you agree on the items, they ship 'em to you. Some have return policies, as well.