Menu

I go that email today too and share your sadness. Sometimes I go to that store just because it is nice to browse curriculum in person, and they do have great extras. They are really a nice family and we have appreciated a homeschool store nearby (40 mins) during our homeschool journey.

It is very hard for local stores to compete these days.

It is not at all silly to be sad.

I still mourn the lose of my favorite garden center, which closed about five years ago.

It is an awful direction the country is going in, in my opinion. Everyone wants the cheapest price on everything instead of quality and customer service.

(And your post gives me reason to go $$ support $$ my favorite homeschool store tomorrow. ;))

It is not at all silly to be sad.

I still mourn the lose of my favorite garden center, which closed about five years ago.

It is an awful direction the country is going in, in my opinion. Everyone wants the cheapest price on everything instead of quality and customer service.

(And your post gives me reason to go $$ support $$ my favorite homeschool store tomorrow. ;))

:iagree:

Not silly at all! We don't have a local hs store, but we do have a wonderful little bookstore. The owner knows me now and recommends new books for me. Yes, it is a little more expensive, but everyone is so nice. At B&N, I get slack-jawed looks when I ask a question. I'd gladly pay more for an intelligent response.

I would be sad, but I am not sure how Wal-mart effected the store closing. Wal-mart doesn't sell any hs curriculum.:confused: The only thing I buy at Wal-mart is paper and crayons. I buy off the internet for everything else, but I would have supported a local hs store if one had existed near me.

We have the same situation here - wonderful local homeschool store, 2 locations, homeschoolers of many years, are having to close their stores. I haven't lived here long, so don't know them well, but they were the vendor at a CM conference I attended, and they were WONDERFUL to work with. I will miss not having that local resource. There was a neat lady here who would take moms through the store and show them which curriculum/books were a good fit for CM. Sad that we won't be able to do that anymore!

Not silly at all. The owner of our local hardware store passed away a couple of days ago and now the store is closed for good. He was amazing. The kind of guy where you walked in with some obscure part and he went in to the back and pulled it out for you. Plus, he was real contributor to our community. All I am left with now is The Home Depot and Lowe's.

I understand what you are feeling.

GOSH! They are wonderful people. I buy from them every year at our conference and do my best to purchase from them first. They are just super nice people. I'll miss seeing them as vendors. Such Helpful people. I hope whatever they are planning next will work out great for them. I even have my list of things to purchase for next year ready to go but they won't be there!:tongue_smilie: