Menu

Opinions about taking two instruments

My oldest has taken piano for 6 years and violin for 3 years. We are feeling the stretch both time-wise (for practice) and financially (for the lessons). She has struggles with academic work, but music has always come more easily to her. She is progressing with both instruments. We are debating whether we should keep both instruments going or drop violin. By the way, her brothers each only take one instrument by choice.

Pros - dropping to one would give her more time to be a kid and for academics, esp. as she heads into jr. high and though we can afford it, it would save money for instrument lessons for her siblings; Cons- she loves both instruments and doesn't mind practicing (for the most part), hard to let go of the progress she's made, could be useful training for her future.

My mom is a pianist and firmly believes that to excel you need to focus attention on one instrument. The other side (her teachers) encourages a broader appreciation of music through different instruments. I'd love to hear your opinion on this. Any and all help is appreciated!

Hmmm. When I was a kid, I took piano lessons, and I also played the flute. They were separate issues for me, because the flute was through band and piano was done privately. I still had to practice them both, but honestly, since my high school was small, the music wasn't that challenging, so while I did practice, it wasn't a huge burden on my time. I did take private flute lessons for a little while, but it wasn't very expensive, so there was not the financial burden of two sets of lessons.

I think it's fun to know two instruments. If she can do it and wants to continue, I would encourage her to do both. I love the piano and the flute for different reasons and I'm glad I didn't have to choose between them.

I will say that neither of my girls are taking any music lessons at this point, so I have no frame of reference as a parent dealing with these issues.

After he had completed Suzuki book 3 of the cello, I allowed him to begin piano. (He was 7, I think). He made very fast progress on the piano and really enjoyed it more than the cello. Gradually it became more challenging for me to get him to practice both every day, and about after 2 years of doing both instruments, he decided to quit the cello in favor of the piano. It was very sad for me when he quit the cello, since he was quite advanced (at least for a 9 year old). He was somewhere in book 6.

Now he just does the piano, and the upside is that he really enjoys it. The downside is that cello music tends to make me sad since I regret that he gave it up.

Maybe if I hadn't let him take both instruments he never would have given it up. But then again, maybe he would have decided to quit anyway and then would have nothing.

Not sure if this helps you, but it's what happened in our house!

Unity

mom to ds 9, ds9, dd 6, ds 1

Thanks Beth - I wish that one of her instruments could be like your experience with flute. Then it wouldn't be so difficult to balance!

Unity - I understand how you feel. If she were to stop either I would be sad, but especially piano as she has played that longest. That was brave and good of you to let your son make the decision. Given that he made it so far on the cello, it will probably be very easy for him to pick back up later if he chooses. I hope he has great success with the piano!

What does your daughter want to do? Does she want to keep both? Perhaps you could have her maintain her current level in one through just keeping her practice up on the instrument at the level she is at, while continuing the lessons in one instrument, or flip flop lessons, piano one year, then violin the next, meanwhile keeping her practice going in each instrument. Just a thought.

If she enjoys both and keeps up with both well, let her play. Let her enjoy her talents--it makes the other things that she doesn't like as well, easier. If you take from her something she truly enjoys and excels at in order for her to focus more heavily on that which is drudgery to her, it just feels like a lot of drudgery. I suspect she will actually be MORE productive doing more music than less.

Somehow when I was a kid I had the time to play piano for 2 years, bass recorder for 3 years, handbells for 3 years, cello for 7 years, and trombone for 1 year. Also I played softball every summer (usually on 2 different teams), basketball every winter, and soccer every spring. I liked staying busy, and my grades were okay. I enjoyed the experiences.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

I play violin, had a few years of piano lessons. If my perfect world, I would have kept up with piano and taken voice lessons too -- but I don't want to confuse the issue more!

Your mom is right that you really can't expect to master both instruments, at some point you really have to specialize in one. But a violinist who also plays piano understands music so much better -- all the theory and the chord structure within a piece that is hidden when just stuck in treble clef. Understanding that makes you a better musician and opens up all kinds of new genres.

Being a competent pianist allows you to be able to accompany your students, your kids, yourself even as you sing! You can play Christmas or musical sing-a-longs at parties.

If she concentrates on piano, the upside to continuing violin, or having played violin is that it develops an excellent ear, for hearing what is and is not in tune and hearing intervals (5ths, thirds.)

As a teen, my social circle revolved around my friends in youth symphony. My brother, who specialized in piano, also played cello through high school to be able to play in the symphony.

I think your daughter will make it clear at some point what she wants to do. Leave room in her schedule for as much music time as she needs, and her choice of instrument will naturally come.

*IF* you cut to one instrument, I highly recommend making the remaining instrument the piano.

What about cutting the time commitment for one instrument or the other? So, if she's currently taking 2 30-minute lessons of each instrument every week, cut one of the instruments to a single lesson. Or, if her lessons are a single one-hour lesson per week, cut one of the lessons to only 30 minutes.

Another option either in lieu of or in addition to that suggestion is to make one of the lessons a non-performance based lesson. So, she may continue to take piano lessons without ever giving recitals but continue to perform with her violin (or vice-versa).

One more thing I can think of, and this would help to make her experience similar to the one a pp mentioned for flute, is to find a local orchestra who would allow her to play the violin with them. (Look for a 'community' orchestra, or possibly playing with a local private or public school orchestra.) This would probably ease the difficulty of the music and demand less of her practice time. You could cut out the private lessons entirely (at least temporarily) for violin if you could go this route.

Anyway. There's my 2 cents. ;)

At her age, I think the fact that *she* wants to continue with both is the compelling point. It's not all about excelling - it's about learning, growing, and enjoying music. I think if she's willing to practice both and wants to continue, then let her. She may have to figure out how to balance that with academics in order to meet your basic requirements. I'm not sure about "being a kid." As long as making music is joyful and not a stressful, achievement oriented endeavor, I don't see why she should drop it in order to do other recreational things.

Two quick thoughts --

1) I just have to give another point-of-view -- if you have to drop one, keep the violin! With the violin your dd can join orchestras, chamber groups, etc. The violin is such a social instrument! The piano is always a lone instrument. (I was the violininst; my brother was the pianist, and he always envied me all of my groups and how much fun I had playing with other people. He said that the piano is always a solo instrument, even when played with other people.)

2) Keep both as long as your dd gets enjoyment out of both. She will tell you when she has had it. And if you think she is overdoing it, encourage her to focus on one instrument seriously and keep the other as a "fun" instrument.

I was VERY active musically when in high school, and a huge percentage of the musicians I hung around with had two instruments, but they were not equally serious about both. One was the instrument they focused on, and one was more for fun -- so that they could be in the school band or so they could play with wiblings or whatever.

Dd(11) plays violin and trumpet. She started violin as the required instrument when at school. This year someone started a lcoal homeschool band, so she started trumpet. She has private lessons for the violin (1/2 hour per week) but the trumpet is just the band. Her violin teacher has made enough comments relating the two to make me believe he knows how to play both. He also has a piano and I've seen him working with a quartet. I have a feeling he knows how to play LOTS of instruments.

I'm not sure I agree with your mother, that to be really good at an instrument it has to be your only instrument. We don't say if you want to be really good at French, it has to be your only language. Or to be really good at butterfly, it has to be your only stroke. Or to be really good at math, it has to be your only subject.

Dd isn't enthused about schoolwork either. Trumpet is a "break" from writing. However, since she really wants to play it, she has managed to find time to do her homework and practice (and swimming and track). Time management is a good thing to learn also.

Finding a group setting for either of these might reduce expenses enough to continue both. The $22.50 per week for private violin lessons is a lot more than the $300 per year for the band.

One thing to consider is that a lot of music schools require two instruments for performance majors. They don't have to be performance level on it, but they definitely need to be able to play. If she is going on to college and considering music you might want to consider keeping them both.

My daughter is eight and has been taking violin for almost 4 years and just started the piano. The theory stuff comes so much easier on the piano. If you asked my daughter she would say the piano is easier because there isn't as much position stuff to learn. You hit a c it's a c, hit a f# it's a f#. Of course as she progresses it will get more difficult.

I'm curious why- Daynnrmc says definitely take the piano. I'd say take the viola, more scholarship money available and less competition!:001_smile:

Thank you to all who have posted! Each one of you has helped by sharing a point of view I didn't have on my own. I am going to print your ideas out and my dh and I will definitely consider them all as we discuss this issue.

I wish I could respond to each one of you, but I will just say that I like the idea of keeping her going and letting her eventually choose. There is a local youth orchestra we were considering putting her and her brother in, so that might give us what we need to keep her playing.

Thank you!!!! And if there are any other ideas/opinions, please keep them coming!

I did more than one. I did piano privately for years and years. Did guitar for 2 years (classical) but because of piano did a number of years of levels in those 2. Did oboe for 3.5 years with the school band (no orchestra at my school--too small an area). Would it be an option to do the second instrument with a school or other band/orchestra? My school band met 5 days a week, so I never even practiced at home after the first month or so (not that that was best, but the music wasn't very difficult after all that piano, even the first oboe part, because it was band oboe music).

I'd do both as long as she loves them both, is willing to practice, and you can afford it. Eventually one will likely outshine the other but she will have benefited from both. I really wish I had kept up piano, especially since voice eventually became my major. Piano skills are a great thing to have. However, the group dynamics in a social instrument, such as my main instrument, the flute, prior to changing my focus instrument to voice, were invaluable.

I think she's a little young to worry just yet about mastering either. At her age if she's willing to take the extra time to keep them both up, she will continue to progress until she does decide which one to master. When that time comes, she can choose to put the other on the back burner for a bit, or turn it into a hobby instead of a study.

We did ask our daughters to drop band when they changed their focus instruments. They would have like to do both but neither really have the determination to keep up with two instruments and the travel time and money were an issue for us. They are already involved in many things, including a church choir. So, it's not unreasonable to drop one in the end if you need to for time and money, but if I could offer both to my kids, I would.

My oldest has taken piano for 6 years and violin for 3 years. We are feeling the stretch both time-wise (for practice) and financially (for the lessons). She has struggles with academic work, but music has always come more easily to her. She is progressing with both instruments. We are debating whether we should keep both instruments going or drop violin. By the way, her brothers each only take one instrument by choice.

Pros - dropping to one would give her more time to be a kid and for academics, esp. as she heads into jr. high and though we can afford it, it would save money for instrument lessons for her siblings; Cons- she loves both instruments and doesn't mind practicing (for the most part), hard to let go of the progress she's made, could be useful training for her future.

My mom is a pianist and firmly believes that to excel you need to focus attention on one instrument. The other side (her teachers) encourages a broader appreciation of music through different instruments. I'd love to hear your opinion on this. Any and all help is appreciated!

Okay, so I ammmmm a piano teacher, but I also studied several instruments, including voice, as I was growing up. the question that occurs to me now as I contemplate the future for my own children (musically) is....what instrument, realistically, might they actually enjoy for a lifetime.

I no longer play handbells, the organ, the clarinet (and yes, I was FIRST CHAIR throughout school), etc., but I still enjoy playing the piano and singing at church, for the enjoyment of others, but especially when I am alone....even the classical stuff.:tongue_smilie:

So, while I dooooo plan to have those of my children who are interested in doing so continue to pursue a variety of instruments, if my resources were limited (time, interest, or money), I would think long-term thoughts.

Just don't give up studying music altogether. The benefits of brain development, etc. are so great

I want to pop back in here and say that I, too, am all for continuing with both - as long as that's comfortable for you and your family, etc.

My reasons for recommending to continue playing the piano, in addition to what Sue has mentioned about the longevity of the instrument's use beyond the academic years, is simple. It provides practice in reading the different clefs, it aids in theory learning, and if she were to pursue music at the collegiate level it will be required. (At least 4 semesters of it, either in class form or private lessons for the more advanced student.)

If you understand the piano, you understand ANY instrument - it's just about learning the specific hand (and mouth) positions. It's simply easier to learn additional instruments if you already know the piano. Again, at the collegiate level, a student must learn more than one instrument. You have a principal instrument, the piano (which is used to teach extensive theory), AND a number of other instruments. As a band major, I was required to learn 6 additional instruments in addition to my principal. (I am a percussionist, and thus learned every sort of drum and melodic and toy-type instrument known to man. LOL Okay, well, that's an exaggeration....)

I also played violin in elementary and junior high, and was a member of an internationally known girls' choir in middle school. (Yep, we moved to a small town that didn't have an orchestra! LOL)

If a child knows music theory, other subjects can be placed inside of music - especially math, and if it weren't for music I'd never have "gotten" most of the science I now understand. LOL If she's good at it, enjoys it, wants it - encourage it. :)

jm(ns)ho. ;)

My dd plays both piano and violin and has dabbled with other instruments. I have a couple of thoughts, but I haven't read all of the replies so I hope I am not repeating what others have said.

You can specialize in one instrument while still playing another. All of my dd's string teachers have played multiple instruments though they specialized in violin. Her favorite piano teachers have also played other instruments.

I have never had to fight to get my dd to practice either instruments, if I had we would have dropped one.

If your dd is passionate about music and decides later to major in it she will have to pass a piano profficiency exam no matter what instrument she plays. She will also have to go through a course where she will be exposed to and asked to play different instruments.

My dd has really valued the opportunities that are available to a violinist that were not an option as a pianist. She has played in orchestras, ensembles, quartets, etc.

My dd has found that she has learned things in piano that she can apply to violin and vice versa.

My ds has chosen to only focus on one instrument, but he does not enjoy practicing. Although I sometimes feel guilty that we have spent more on music lessons for my dd, my ds is not interested in having us spend more money on lessons for him. My dd would not appreciate us buying her video games. So being fair does not always mean being the same.

After all of these years of lessons my dd has decided to major in biochem. (Apparently she found time to study even though she practiced for several hous a day). I do not regret the time she spent practicing or the money we spent on lessons and instruments. She has made friends playing in the local youth symphony. She plays with the praise band at church and this summer she will play with a local orchestra. Music brings her much pleasure and provides her an outlet for her creativity.

I would also recommend keeping the two instruments if your child enjoys playing-- my kids play violin and piano, and the two instruments complement one another so much, as the other posters said. Look at it this way, many people who drop an instrument regret it later on, but most people feel they should have stuck with the lessons through the school-age years, which go by so quickly anyway! Soon enough the child is 18 and can decide what to do on his/her own!