Menu

Don't.Scream.Don't. Scream.

That's what I'm chanting in my head right now.

The dental infection is worse. My face is a bit swollen, I hurt from the eyebrow down on my rt side.

I'm going to the walk in clinic and asking for an Rx. Some Drs won't, and tell you to see a dentist. I'm going to be saying that I can't until tomorrow and am in extreme pain, running a fever, couldn't swallow my own saliva yesterday (seriously, I couldn't figure out how to swallow, most bizarre experience...scary too) etc.

I'm praying that the Dr I get (mine's on holidays) will just give me the Rx without any argument.

TMI follows...

I think the infection is draining down the back of my throat. I have this horrible taste in the back of my mouth. :crying:

Okay, you need to tell your dentist that this has become an emergency. Dental infections can get into the bloodstream and spread. I am NOT wanting to scare you, but my sister is an OT and one of her patients right now is a man who was fine except for a dental issue that he put off and ended up in ER. By the time he got there, the infection was affecting his *brain*. He has lasting issues from damage that my sister is teaching him to live with.

Again, please do not be *scared*. I just share this to encourage you that you DO have a reason to get VERY PUSHY with your dentist!

Agreeing with Polly, dental infections can actually be deadly and IMP, you know I am a big fan of yours, so I've decided to like you enough to scare you a bit! No holds barred here, an abscess infection can spread to the blood stream, ravage your heart, and cause brain infection.

Given that you have all of these symptoms and now suspect it is draining down your throat, this is no waiting matter. You can go to the ER for this. The ER doctor will not only give you pain meds and antibiotics but he/she can also page the on call emergency oral surgeon....all hospitals are supposed to have at least a dentist if not an oral surgeon on call for bad cases. You should be treated today.

Please, please, please

Faith, hoping you will forgive me for being scary

That's what I'm chanting in my head right now.

The dental infection is worse. My face is a bit swollen, I hurt from the eyebrow down on my rt side.

I'm going to the walk in clinic and asking for an Rx. Some Drs won't, and tell you to see a dentist. I'm going to be saying that I can't until tomorrow and am in extreme pain, running a fever, couldn't swallow my own saliva yesterday (seriously, I couldn't figure out how to swallow, most bizarre experience...scary too) etc.

I'm praying that the Dr I get (mine's on holidays) will just give me the Rx without any argument.

TMI follows...

I think the infection is draining down the back of my throat. I have this horrible taste in the back of my mouth. :crying:

Yeah, it's called pus...and it takes like sour pi$$.

I am so sorry. :grouphug:

Praying that you get some help!!!

Yikes! I've been there, and it's scary, and no fun at all.

I ended up going to the walk-in because my face swelled up like a balloon, and they started me right away on IV antibiotics. I had to come back again the next day to finish up the meds.

I ended up having my dentist just pull the tooth (it was a molar and had been giving me trouble for years, root canals, infections) and I just didn't want to deal with it any more- I felt like that one tooth was ruining my health!

Hope you can get some relief soon:ack2:

Just got home. Went to the walk in clinic that my gp practices out of. He's away, but I saw another Dr. I have an Rx for antibiotics and already took my first dose. He wouldn't give me anything for pain...I have stronger meds than what he was willing to dispense, so I get to just suffer until the antibiotics kick in. :glare:

The reality of it is that if I went to the dentist, they'd just hand me an Rx for antibiotics...only it would cost me $300 as opposed to just the cost of the Rx.

Oh, I am truly sorry. Just 2 weeks ago I had to suffer through 4 days of the most excruciating pain ever. With a headache from the top of my head to the back, my jaw, and even my neck and shoulder. I was taking Motrin 800 mg every 4 hours, but it wore off after 2-1/2!!

Seriously, get a sock, put some rice or beans in it, microwave it for about a minute and put it on. Your house will smell like Chinese food, but it helps momentarily. I woke up multiple times in the night wailing to my poor DH.

I was going to give hugs, but I didn't even want anyone to look at me with that pain.

Just got home. Went to the walk in clinic that my gp practices out of. He's away, but I saw another Dr. I have an Rx for antibiotics and already took my first dose. He wouldn't give me anything for pain...I have stronger meds than what he was willing to dispense, so I get to just suffer until the antibiotics kick in. :glare:

The reality of it is that if I went to the dentist, they'd just hand me an Rx for antibiotics...only it would cost me $300 as opposed to just the cost of the Rx.

THankfully, my doctor gave me hydrocodone, though it didn't help unless I took it with Motrin. The antibiotics will take probably 3 days to kick in. So sorry.

:grouphug::grouphug: Why would they not give you anything for pain? Mine gave me antibiotics and percocet plus an emergency referral for an oral surgeon. And said it was good I came in then because my cheek was starting to go numb and when it hits the nerves that can be permanent damage.